PDA

View Full Version : Attack of the PMS brigade

Jayden63
02-07-2010, 23:26
With the new 8th edition coming out I've got a few friends who want to pick up some smallish armies.

So, I need an army. However, I'm sick to death of painting little plastic men from the 40K side of the game. So I'm looking for an army that contains a ton of female models. The skimpier dressed the better of course, but that's not a requirement only a preference. However, what is a requirement is that the units the ladies belong to be good enough to field. I love the sister repentia models in 40K but would never place them on the field of battle because the unit sucks so badly.

So what are your recommendations? I can go through the GW site and look at figures all day long, but that won't tell me what units are actually good or not.

mrtn
02-07-2010, 23:30
You can't do this with GW models, they haven't heard of this "female" thing you speak about. :(

Raditz
02-07-2010, 23:30
The entire Elf range.

chamelion 6
02-07-2010, 23:33
Dark Elves

Lord Shadowheart
02-07-2010, 23:33
Dark Elf Witch Elves or Wood Elf wardancers are the only thing that come to mind, and even then, only about half the wardancer models are female.

SamVimes
02-07-2010, 23:39
Go to Shadowforge miniatures.

BeatTheBeat
02-07-2010, 23:54
Dark Elf Khainite army.

You'll have female witch elves, female characters and a few of your warriors will be female as well... I think this is the best you can do with the current models :)

Cheers,
BTB

harthag12
03-07-2010, 00:58
Warcraft female orcs are hot, orcs

Zarryiosiad
03-07-2010, 01:01
I think the Ogre range should count. Considering the size of their "Man-Boobs", they're actually quite a bit chestier than witch elves.

Zarryiosiad

kardar233
03-07-2010, 01:02
Try and get some 6th edition Daemonettes. You could made a decent Daemons army around Daemonettes, Seekers and Heralds.

SPSchnepp2
03-07-2010, 01:05
Try and get some 6th edition Daemonettes. You could made a decent Daemons army around Daemonettes, Seekers and Heralds.

For ridiculous amounts of money, sure.

Eumerin
03-07-2010, 01:29
You can do a legal Dark Elf army, although you can't use the full array of units.

1 in 4 of the warrior torsos (used for both spearmen and crossbowmen) are female.
The witch elves are all obviously entirely female.
Same with the sorceresses.
As are the harpies (though in this case not elves...)
Both the monster handlers and the RBT crews include females among the assorted models, though it's hit or miss which ones you get.
Dark riders are bundled up in such a manner that you could probably get away with arbitrarily declaring them all female.
Cold one knights would be a bit trickier, but you could probably convert the sorceress model that's mounted on a cold one.

That leaves you without assassins, black guard, executioners, and shades.

Sygerrik
03-07-2010, 02:19
You can do a legal Dark Elf army, although you can't use the full array of units.

1 in 4 of the warrior torsos (used for both spearmen and crossbowmen) are female.
The witch elves are all obviously entirely female.
Same with the sorceresses.
As are the harpies (though in this case not elves...)
Both the monster handlers and the RBT crews include females among the assorted models, though it's hit or miss which ones you get.
Dark riders are bundled up in such a manner that you could probably get away with arbitrarily declaring them all female.
Cold one knights would be a bit trickier, but you could probably convert the sorceress model that's mounted on a cold one.

Wait, there are male elves?

With their waspy waists, small hands and delicate features, I just, you know, assumed...

chivalrous
03-07-2010, 02:39

I think you could get away with one or two of the 5th edition assassin models, they too are "bundled up"

ftayl5
03-07-2010, 04:40

With their waspy waists, small hands and delicate features, I just, you know, assumed...

I'm telling Malekith you said that and, I think he'll be quite upset.

Seriously though Dark ELves have the most female models. That sorcerer chick on the manticore has an exposed boob too :eek:

Sygerrik
03-07-2010, 04:44
I'm telling Malekith you said that and, I think he'll be quite upset.

Seriously though Dark ELves have the most female models. That sorcerer chick on the manticore has an exposed boob too :eek:

As though I fear the wrath of the Witch Queen. Any S5+ magic weapon will rip her a new one.

Jayden63
03-07-2010, 05:41
I should have clarified. The army doesn't have to be all female. Just a high female body count in units that actually work. Naturally I'd want a competitive army even if it means bringing some dudes to the fight.

I actually have no idea how competitive Dark Elves are as a whole.

tezdal
03-07-2010, 05:47

Small hands? Have you seen the high elf warriors, they have bloody oven mitts for hands

alphamale
03-07-2010, 05:59
DE are a tier 1 army

snottlebocket
03-07-2010, 07:59
You can't do this with GW models, they haven't heard of this "female" thing you speak about. :(

Ah, a common condition amongst wargamers.

inq.serge
03-07-2010, 08:07

:eek: I CAN sculpt women!!!
(Jes saying that after a guy telling him that his female models don't really look female)

Anyhow. Khanite Dark elves are great, especially if you have Little Miss Crone "kicks Chuck Norris ass for breakfast" Hellebrone, which allows to have witch elves for core and that can have more then 10 st 10 asf attacks in CC.

Also, All Executioners and DE Assassins are male as the are the male counterpart to witch elevs.

HeroFox
03-07-2010, 08:18
I actually have no idea how competitive Dark Elves are as a whole.

High-Top tier.

Jayden63
03-07-2010, 22:43
Thanks for all the replies. Unless it turns out that the 8th ed rule set nerfs Dark Elves something horrible, they will be my Fantasy army. Now its just a matter of making the models look good. I realize that the paint jobs on the figs on GWs website are very old, but some of those figures just look bad and since I have zero interest in going to official GW functions I can probably get away with mixing different manufactures models in to help bulk up the forces and get some different looks in.

~PrometheuS~
03-07-2010, 22:48
Females didnt usaully get marched to war :rolleyes:

snottlebocket
03-07-2010, 23:18

I suppose they did tend to fill the role of post battle entertainment for the victors.

Sygerrik
04-07-2010, 04:22

read the bible or the qur'an, lots of women killing improbably large numbers of soldiers right next to the menfolk.

also greek and roman history is full of legends of women (see: boudicca) kicking butt... usually greek or roman butt.

it's actually fairly recent in terms of recorded history (read: last 1500 years) that women have been considered too precious for the battlefield. before then it was every warm body that can hold a spear.

edit: fun story!
Nasibah bint Ka'b al-Maziniyyah (Umm 'Umarah) was carrying water and tending to the wounded at the 7th century Battle of Uhud. When she saw a number of archers on her side were throwing down their arms and deserting, she grabbed a sword and shield and jumped into battle to protect the Prophet Muhammed (pboh). She basically appointed herself his protector and when a cavalryman attacked her, she slashed his horse and then, together with her son, killed the rider before he could get up. Then her son was wounded and she reacted much as you'd expect, by cutting off the bastard's leg who had wounded him.

Suddenly, I want to start an Araby army.

LuitpoldFrohlich
04-07-2010, 05:48
edit: fun story!
Nasibah bint Ka'b al-Maziniyyah (Umm 'Umarah) was carrying water and tending to the wounded...

The Arabic Molly Pitcher? Or is Molly Pitcher the American Nasibah?

Hellebore
04-07-2010, 06:10

I can't wait for all female Napoleonics because, you know, girls. :rolleyes::p

Elves have a more even gender split in the military - dwarfs and humans do not. In fact dwarfs are far less understanding of females in military roles than humans. They make the Bretonnians look like Feministas...:p

The following companies make exlusively female models:
http://members.optushome.com.au/cynan/
http://www.shadowforge.com.au/

However, like most gamers that sculpt women, they are all either naked or partly naked and possess preposterous features (read: Pamela Anderson feels inferior and the planet would have far more weather balloons...).

As for the supposed 'new' concept of women being 'too precious' for battle, that's not true. It's been around for years.

People like Boudicca and Nasibah bint Ka'b al-Maziniyyah are singular individuals and exceptions rather than the norm. The Greeks gave their women less rights than the Romans, and did not allow them into governmental positions let alone military service. Even the Romans only let Male_Roman_Citizens (TM) vote.

The whole mythos around the Amazons was due to the novel concept of women fighting (at the time) rather than some kind of historical all female military unit.

And citing the Bible and Qur'an as accurate historical texts is... well if we go there this thread won't survive.;)

So, were there female warriors etc in the last 10,000 years of human history? Yes. Were they as commonplace as male warriors - hell no. Would it have been fine for them to join the military? Well that's up to each individual's personal ethics.

All I'll say is that I'm glad for equality if conscription ever rears it's ugly head..:p

Hellebore

Gonzoyola
04-07-2010, 06:26
You could always get the Dwarfs for their Dwarf Queen, or the Ogres DO have a Female Man-eater model!

poboom
04-07-2010, 10:12
The following companies make exlusively female models:
http://members.optushome.com.au/cynan/
http://www.shadowforge.com.au/

However, like most gamers that sculpt women, they are all either naked or partly naked and possess preposterous features (read: Pamela Anderson feels inferior and the planet would have far more weather balloons...).

Yes! Most female miniatures are horrible, horrible things. I'd be surprised if whoever sculpted them have ever seen a naked woman in real life. They're incredibly stocky, have manly faces and gigantic boobs. Sure is attractive!

Also this: http://www.shadowforge.com.au/images/fax148.jpg

Retarded dinos are awesome :)

Red Metal
04-07-2010, 17:27
As mentioned DE or (my fav) WE.

Wood Elves - half the GG/GR, all the Dryads (female, not neccessarily human-looking), half the Wardancers, and half the character models are female.

elsandrin
04-07-2010, 18:56
If you dont matter using miniatures from different companies I have found Reaper one of the most rewarding in finding interesting female figures for all kind of armies:

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/female

There are not much rank & file aside from elves and perhaps humans, but many of their characters are really beatiful.

They are guilty of making me collect as much spellcasters I can made units of them. :rolleyes:

Also you could find interesting this thread (from other forum) for getting ideas for what kind of army you would like to collect.

http://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/painting-and-modelling-f3/female-miniatures-r-rated-t2714.htm

As they told you putting females in all kind of elven (most of them), human, vampire, chaos (slaanesh) or even beast armies could be very artistic refreshing.