PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of a Mounted BSB vs Foot BSB.

03-07-2010, 00:08
I have a WoC army and I currently have a mounted BSB, but since the BSB now allows rerolls on everything would it be better to have him on foot now. What about true line of sight on things like the Doom Totem?

o0-NattyMcFatty-0o
03-07-2010, 01:02
depends whats in your army. If your going infantry heavy, then on foot, if your going cav heavy, then mounted. if a mix between the two, id probably tend to have him on foot. Basically, you just want to make sure he has a look out sir role, so he has to be the same type of model as the unit he's in to claim it.

ftayl5
03-07-2010, 03:01
People generally go for mounted for the extra armour save, the no.1 role of the BSB is to survive, and so that he can get to the thick of the action where he is needed most.
On foot, he is perhaps more protected from shooting and magic but if his unit gets stuck, in terrain or something move sin front of it etc, then his standard might not be in range.
SO mounted is better

03-07-2010, 04:11
well my current one is mounted, and my WoC was predominately mounted but with the switch to mass infantry in 8th edition im debating whether or not to switch to foot.

Urdokadin
03-07-2010, 05:19
Being on a mount in an infantry unit affords no LoS! from what I understand....that's just begging for a cannonball to take him out.

As WoC we have a cheatin' exemption, mark him nurgle and get yourself a palanquin and enjoy full LoS! with the benefits of being on a mount.

Ghazbad_Facestompa
03-07-2010, 07:10
I have my own plan for the WoC BSB I'll run. Stick him on a juggernaut and put him in a unit with other jugger characters. Or put him and the general with 4 dragon ogres, if the character unit proves ineffective.

Spiney Norman
03-07-2010, 09:21
People generally go for mounted for the extra armour save, the no.1 role of the BSB is to survive, and so that he can get to the thick of the action where he is needed most.
On foot, he is perhaps more protected from shooting and magic but if his unit gets stuck, in terrain or something move sin front of it etc, then his standard might not be in range.
SO mounted is better

Correct, but consider that in 8th a character can only claim a full look out sir roll if he is the same unit type as the unit he is in. So if you're in a unit of cavalry, a mounted BSB would be great, but if you want him in infantry, a foot chappy would be better.

SatireSphere
03-07-2010, 10:22
Correct, but consider that in 8th a character can only claim a full look out sir roll if he is the same unit type as the unit he is in. So if you're in a unit of cavalry, a mounted BSB would be great, but if you want him in infantry, a foot chappy would be better.

I haven't read that bit yet. Do you have a page reference? I just glanced over the look out sir rules and couldn't find anything suggesting that to be the case.

Casshole
03-07-2010, 14:24
Pages 93 and 99, they have to be of the same troop type, or footprint as the new wording seems to be, to claim a ful LoS.

I too only have a mounted bsb in my HE army but with 8th E I am going to have to convert a footslogger. Im prety sure the extra armor save from calvary will b worthless to a cannon and might even make it more vulnerable to metal spells.

Stonewyrm
03-07-2010, 19:48
WoC have two choices for the BsB that no one mentioned. Steed of Slaanesh and Disk. Both are classified as Cavalry so you have a 4+ LoSir if within 3" of a Cav unit or the normal 2+ LoSir if in the unit.

They are both very fast, 20" so you can more around if the battle lines shift or if you need him somewhere else. The Disk flies and the Steed is fast cav so you shouldn't have mobility issues with them. You get the +1 AS for being mounted (no barding though) so 2+ or 1+ AS is easy to get. Plus Tzeentch gives the +1 to ward save and Slaanesh the fleeable Itp, both good for the BsB.

Even if you play with a lot of infantry blocks it still might be a good idea to place the BsB (if Slaanesh) in a unit of Chaos Knights in the middle of your lines. They are the ideal hammer to help out a block that needs it. They are very survivable and decently mobile, the two things that the BsB needs the most to stay alive and give his re-rolls to those that need it.

I'm not sure about the new rules but I'm assuming that dispite being Cavalry the Disk isn't allowed to join a unit because it flies. The new "trick" would be to place it 1" behind a Cavalry unit (not hounds) giving -2 hard cover and the 4+ LoSir. Plus because it is bigger and flies it can charge "over" their screening unit. Not that I am suggesting using your BsB to solo charge anything but just noting you can use the same set-up with an Exalted.

Stonewyrm