PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Elves are ready for 8th!

Draconian77
03-07-2010, 02:52
Nothing new or eccentric here, a basic 2250pt take-all-comers list with 8th ed in mind.

50% @ 2250 = 1125
25% @ 2250 = 563

Dreadlord on Black Dragon with Pendant of Kaeleth, Enchanted Shield, Beastmasters Scourge, Heavy Armour and a Sea Dragon Cloak = 537

I'm using the rumoured new cost for the Enchanted Shield, 5pts. I am also assuming that the Dreadlords Dragon comes out of the Lord allowance. (25%)

Master, Bsb, Armour of Darkness, Dimmerstone, Halberd = 149

The Dimmerstone (if my German is any good...) is a new common magic item which allows you to re-roll failed armour saves. Bsb's will need all the protection that they can get in this edition!

Sorceress, Lv 2, Dispel Scroll = 160

Depending on how the Ring of Hotek is Errata'd, she may become a level 1 Sorceress with a Dispel Scroll and the Ring instead.

Rumours have Teclis rolling "Irresistible Forces" on any doubles and only rolling on the "Loss of Control" chart on a double 6. Presumably, the Ring of Hotek will be the reverse of that, causing a "Loss of Control" roll on any double and only causing "Loss of Control" and "Irresistible Force" on a double 6.

30 Spearmen, Shields, Full Command = 225

20 Rxbmen, Shields, Full Command = 240

Banners may not look like the best choice at first glance, but they are important for one of the scenarios. In addition, you can always reform the unit into a fighting block during your turn.

20 Black Guard, Full Command, Banner of Murder, Crimson Death = 345

The Banner of Murder becomes the new #1 banner for Black Guard. As I understand it, in 8th edition, the unit champion can not be killed until his unit has bit the dust. This makes the Tower Master with the armour-piercing Crimson Death a killing machine.

War Hydra = 175

War hydra = 175

Total = 2246

Reapers seem very overpriced compared to say, Cannons or Stonethrowers. I can't see many people taking them, especially if the amount of Dragons seeing play begins to dwindle. (We will have to wait a few months.)

Falkman
03-07-2010, 04:33
25% @ 2250 = 567.5
25% of 2250 is 562.5, which is then rounded up to 563.

I'm using the rumoured new cost for the Enchanted Shield, 5pts.
Common magic items that exist in the army books still use the army book costs.

The Dimmerstone (if my German is any good...)
Dawnstone.

Depending on how the Ring of Hotek is Errata'd, she may become a level 1 Sorceress with a Dispel Scroll and the Ring instead.
I don't understand why people think Ring of Hotek needs an errata?
It's very simple, a Miscast isn't automatically tied to an Irresistable force, they just both tend to happen when rolling double 6's normally.
Items that force Miscasts does not give IFs as well unless stated.

As I understand it, in 8th edition, the unit champion can not be killed until his unit has bit the dust.The unit champion will be the last of the command group to die normally, but he can still be killed earlier by targeting him specifically, just as in 7th edition.

Draconian77
03-07-2010, 04:58
Hmm, obvious mathematical blunders aside, why would GW print a new list of common magic items if the costs printed in the rulebook don't come into effect?

Am I to understand that the new costs will only trickle into the game as the army books are updated? That seems like a missed opportunity...

Dawnstone is it? "Edits"

The Ring of Hotek needs an Errata for exactly that reason Falkman, a lot of people will think that Irresistable Force = Miscast. A one line errata would/could end all potential arguments.

The bit about the unit champion is a little dissapointing (the allocation part).
With that in mind, how best to run the Tower Master with regards to the "Step Up" rule...hmm.

The 2nd draft doesn't change much, Dreadlord +10pts, Sorceress -10pts.
Done. :D

Dreadlord on Black Dragon with Pendant of Kaeleth, Enchanted Shield, Beastmasters Scourge, Heavy Armour and a Sea Dragon Cloak = 547
--
Master, Bsb, Armour of Darkness, Dawnstone, Halberd = 149
--
Sorceress, Ring of Hotek, Dispel Scroll = 150
--
30 Spearmen, Shields, Full Command = 225
--
--
--
20 Black Guard, Full Command, Banner of Murder, Crimson Death = 345
--
War Hydra = 175
--
War hydra = 175

Total = 2246

Falkman
03-07-2010, 05:22
Hmm, obvious mathematical blunders aside, why would GW print a new list of common magic items if the costs printed in the rulebook don't come into effect?

Am I to understand that the new costs will only trickle into the game as the army books are updated? That seems like a missed opportunity...
That seems to be the deal, update costs as the new books come out.
Obviously this could be changed in the FAQs/erratas, but as of now the costs in the army books take precedence.

I think the list looks good (brutal even), but then again, it's hard to make a bad list with DE :p.

Draconian77
04-07-2010, 00:32
I wouldn't say brutal, but I agree that DE lists tend to be inherently competitive. I wonder how it would fare against an army with multiple Cannons or Bolt Throwers in 8th ed...