PDA

View Full Version : New BA may actually save the BAs

Fanboy
03-07-2010, 21:41
Hello,

Just sitting here watching Spain play Paraguay,....and thinking.

The new BA codex has actaully saved the BAs. Far less BA marines are sur-coming/being-taken-over by the black rage. This can be seen by the lack, or low number of death company in BA armies these days, which must imply the the BAs have been able to control this problem far more successfully of late (fluff wise).

With GW doing such a sh#$ job with death company, namely, cannot be controlled, not even by a chaplain, and 35 points each with JPs, no BA player is actually taking them (I know I don't). Fluff-wise, this would mean less and less BA marines are sur-coming to the curse, and thus saving the chapter...

Nice move idio....GW

Yours thankfully

Fanboy

Thud
03-07-2010, 21:43
Every cloud, eh... ;)

Fanboy
03-07-2010, 21:45
I loved DC, and always had a unit in my army, but with the new codex, not any more. Cannot control them, and too expensive with JPs.

So, all DC minis went into brake-fluid, stripped, washed, and re-painted to assualt marines, sanguinary guard, other,.....but not DC. And GW thought i was going to spend more money on them...........

Yours thankfully

Fanboy

Fanboy
03-07-2010, 21:45
Every cloud, eh... ;)

??

Fanboy

arkle
03-07-2010, 22:19
Every cloud, eh... ;)

has a silver lining

dragonet111
03-07-2010, 22:30
I like the Death Company I field one in a Rhino and love it, sure there is the rage but it's not that bad.
Personally I don't think they are expensive. At least now you don't have to pay a chaplain 180points+tools (3ed) or the extra 35 points of the previous PDF.

spetswalshe
03-07-2010, 22:46
I think the saving grace of the Death Company is the fact that their armour looks wicked cool. I mean I'd probably pretend to be a blood-frenzied psychopath just so I don't have to wear a uniform that makes bulls charge at me.

Wicksy
04-07-2010, 01:20
Rage is a PITA but the deathcompany can be effective if used right. I've had success deploying them out of a landraider lead by a reclusiarch. 10 DC with three power weapons and a fist. Thats a hell of a lot of re rollable to hit and wound......especially with the number of power weapons......alas with jump packs they look a pretty bad unit.....even with Lemartes.

Anarnaxe
04-07-2010, 01:26
I think the saving grace of the Death Company is the fact that their armour looks wicked cool. I mean I'd probably pretend to be a blood-frenzied psychopath just so I don't have to wear a uniform that makes bulls charge at me.

Yes, but there is the problem that you'd get decapitated afterwards for wearing that black armour..... by one of your own.....

Every silver lining....

Griffindale
04-07-2010, 03:26
Repeat after me:

New rules GOOD!

New fluff BAD!

thenurgler
04-07-2010, 08:01
At least Death Company aren't mandatory anymore.

Besides, they're good in Land Raiders, and maybe drop pods.

jay court
04-07-2010, 09:38
I think Death Co do (& should) have a place in yor army, especially if you stick to the fluff. If you're going for a 10 man 'Death Star' unit (led of course by Lemartes) then I think you need to make sure you limit the games you use them in. I'm currently only using a 10 man squad in 2,500 pts+ (I'm doing the same with Mephiston).

This way you can still get good usage from them & they won't dominate the game as you should have plenty of scope to use a balanced list.

Haven't really used them as a 5 man squad yet, anybody out there have?

S_A_T_S
04-07-2010, 14:50
It all makes sense if you think about it (except for fluff reasons):

box of 5 death company, including jump packs = 20
If you equip them with jump packs, you can't control them, they get killed easier and they cost stupid points. So what do you do?
boxed space marine rhino = 20
GW just doubled their money, and you buy something else to use those points you just saved, earning them a little bit more. Hasn't everyone realised this is why 5th ed. is so transport heavy?

Remember GW is a business. They will write the books to make them money, not to make vets happy.

Archangel_Ruined
04-07-2010, 15:17
They'll be plenty easy enough to control when GW release the storm raven thing. A fast attack assault transport will do that kind of thing for you.

Bunnahabhain
04-07-2010, 21:35
When will people learn....

Unless you really like stripping and re-painting, or are suffering serious lack of space/money issues,when something becomes useless, put it in storage.

Then come the next edition or codex, when it becomes great again, you just pull it out. Or forget about it, and find super rare vintage models at some point in the future...

IcedAnimals
05-07-2010, 06:13
I had them fielded against me recently. They tore through an entire unit of initiates that wanted to live JUST long enough so that they would die on my turn. Then they charge a unit of terminators and wiped them out on the charge.

However once you charge them instead they become much more manageable but ws 5 str 5 4 attacks rerolling to hit and wound with a few sprinkled power weapons is crazy. Throw them in a LRC to guarantee the charge.

Death Company
05-07-2010, 06:40
I had them fielded against me recently.

It was me who fielded them. :3

They're an expensive death star unit with Lemartes in a Land Raider, but they are disgustingly nasty on the charge. You get what you pay for.

Archangel_Ruined
05-07-2010, 09:12
I didn't think you could put Lemartes in a landraider, on account of the jump pack. An assault transport is the best way of using them though, you can dump them right into the action, and with a bit of thought the rage rules aren't so bad then.