PDA

View Full Version : Enterprise in the 40k universe?

Claudio
03-07-2010, 23:39
Is there any ship (or fleet) in the Imperium playing the role of the Enterprise?

Drasanil
03-07-2010, 23:47
Given the Imperium's attitude... I would think not.

The Tau on the other hand are probably big Star Trek fans:p

The Inevitable One
03-07-2010, 23:48
Probably the Phalanx (Imperial Fists mobile fortress-monastery). While most other Chapters have a ship to cruise around the Milky Way Galaxy, it probably is nowhere near as strong or as big as the Phalanx.

bluewolf74727
03-07-2010, 23:49
The Tau on the other hand are probably big Star Trek fans:p

well the signal would have most likely got there by then

Melchiah
04-07-2010, 00:01
Is there any ship (or fleet) in the Imperium playing the role of the Enterprise?
Not too sure what your getting at. Im no diehard trek fan but im pretty sure theres other Enterprise-esque ships with the same "role" but its the only one that just happened to get its own show.

Claudio
04-07-2010, 00:02
Make it so.

Horus_Lupercal
04-07-2010, 00:05
theres the mechanium explorator fleets, plus the ark ships that are always on the move looking for lost std templates

Melchiah
04-07-2010, 00:14
Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before. In 40k, there is only war...says so right on the box.:shifty:
If anything I would have to say the Eldar Rangers/Pathfinders and Rogue traders would be as close as it would get

Karl MkVI
04-07-2010, 00:54
Make it so.

Precisely. :D

Raditz
04-07-2010, 01:02
Radio/radar jockey: Captain, captain! There's an approaching Romolon (Sp?) vessel!
Captain Bald: Romolon you say, what kind of vessel?
Jockey: Seems to be a miner merchant ve-
Captain: EXTERMINUS! Fire the proton torpedoes!
*Later*
Captain: Another successful mission men, we explored the **** out of them.

Claudio
04-07-2010, 02:59
Captain: "Astrophat, send a message to the Solar fleet" "Tell them that we have engage the Necrons"

spiderman5z
04-07-2010, 03:11
"We are Necrons. You will be assimilated."

mob16151
04-07-2010, 03:12
Set phasers to BURN MAIM KILL........

Stomer70
04-07-2010, 03:23
looking for lost std templates

You'd think they would be looking for the lost std fixes...

Mannimarco
04-07-2010, 03:38
std templates? do they fall under Slaanesh or Nurgle jurisdiction?

Vikingkingq
04-07-2010, 04:12
Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.

If you add "to get filthy, filthy rich from trading in xenostech and to blow up anyone who gets in our way," you've described Rogue Traders to a T.

Claudio
04-07-2010, 09:14
Did the Imperium ever send a ship or something outside of the galaxy?

AndrewGPaul
04-07-2010, 09:42
They've sent a few robot probes. So far, all they've found is Tyranids and Orks.

Sir_Turalyon
04-07-2010, 10:52
"We are Necrons. You will be assimilated.Tau. Your culture will adapt to service Greater Good. Resistance is futile."

Here, fixed for you.

As of "role of the Enterprise"... which role? Only ship in the sector? Rarely if ever happens, unless you count Rogue Trader ships in sectors no one cares about. Flagship? Probably each battlefleet / chapter fleet has one. Space exploration? Rogue Traders. Gunboat diplomacy? Probably most imperial warships. Drama? Black Ships.

AndrewGPaul
04-07-2010, 15:25
Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where no man has gone before.

Well, that's pretty obvious - a Rogue Trader.

Hellebore
04-07-2010, 15:30
Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where no man has gone before - and burn the ever living crap out of it.

That's pretty much what any crusading fleet does. RTs are only slightly less so. They will only keep those strange new civilisations around in order to exploit them until they are dried up and dead.

Think Donald Trump flying around space in Trump Tower shouting 'You're Fired!' to every culture he encounters... :p

Hellebore

FabricatorGeneralMike
04-07-2010, 17:28
I guess it depends on what Enterprise you are thinking of.

Kirk, where he just wants to makeout with everywoman he finds, or baldies Enterprise where hes a good little boyscout?

Personally, I think its more like voyager, all they need is a hot actress is skin-tight spandex. Cause Spandex is the materal of choice in the future. :rolleyes:

Sir_Turalyon
04-07-2010, 18:18
There was a hot actress in Voyager?

FabricatorGeneralMike
04-07-2010, 18:29
Well, Jeri Ryan wasn't exactually hard on the eyes..... but the push up bra was a little OTT. ;)

808thMyrmidons
05-07-2010, 00:33
theres been at LEAST one in every star trek series and spin off since its creation

madprophet
05-07-2010, 00:36
The rogue traders are the closest to the Starfleet Explorer vessels.:angel:

AndrewGPaul
05-07-2010, 07:18
theres been at LEAST one in every star trek series and spin off since its creation

Gene Roddenberry was apparently a man of straightforward tastes. :)

Clockwork-Knight
05-07-2010, 07:24
They've sent a few robot probes. So far, all they've found is Tyranids and Orks.Only one tech-priest during the Age of Strife sent a probe to explore the universe. Said probe is still only in the galaxy after the many millennia, and won't leave the galaxy for the next 50.000 years anyway.

Archaon
05-07-2010, 08:47
I think the OP meant it more like the prominence of the Starfleet ship Enterprise with all her famous captains and famous, Federation saving missions.

I don't think such a ship exists in the Imperium because it's too vast to gain such notoriety. However as each Segmentum operates its own fleet i think it's quite possible that a ship has an unusually brilliant captain or admiral who defies the odds constantly and is admired by everyone.. however he sure won't fit the humanitarian ideal of the Federation :D

RCgothic
05-07-2010, 09:10

None of them were particularly hot, but Troi in that catsuit episode after episode instead of a proper medical uniform made me feel embarrassed for the directors' tastes, whilst T'Pol and Seven of Nine were clearly only there for gratuitous hot-chick shots.

As for a starship Enterprise in 40k, I think it's unlikely. The Dominion war, with its patrols and fleet actions is closer to being similar.

Sai-Lauren
05-07-2010, 10:05
Well, there would be maritime guard, which would need aircraft carriers for support, so yes, there would be an Enterprise equivalent.

Oh, sorry, you meant the Star Trek Enterprise... ;)

If there was a particular vessel that the Emperor used as his flagship during the Great Crusade, then that would almost certainly be it - assuming it didn't get blasted into a billion pieces during the Heresy.

Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where no man has gone before - and burn the ever living crap out of it.

More like:-

Its eternal mission: to conquer strange new worlds; to blow up new life and new civilizations; to boldly go wherever the Emperor wants it to.

The actress that played Kes wasn't too bad...

Well, Jeri Ryan wasn't exactually hard on the eyes..... but the push up bra was a little OTT.

Seven of Nine and her amazing performing nanites saving the day every episode was far more OTT than her costume :rolleyes:.

Polaria
05-07-2010, 10:24
"We are Tau. Your culture will adapt to service Greater Good. Resistance is futile."

"We are Tyranid. Your biomass will be assimilated. Resistance is futile."

"We are Eldar. Your understanding is not required. Only your surrender. Resistance is futile, farseer already told we will prevail."

"We are Ork. Give use all your bitz and dakka. Resistance is appreciated. Its been a while since we had a good day of fightin'"

"We are the Chaos. Your souls will be eaten. Resistance is preferred. It will make them taste better."

"..." (eerie silence just before the gauss blasts flay you)

808thMyrmidons
05-07-2010, 13:31
None of them were particularly hot, but Troi in that catsuit episode after episode instead of a proper medical uniform made me feel embarrassed for the directors' tastes, whilst T'Pol and Seven of Nine were clearly only there for gratuitous hot-chick shots..
hey uhura had some damn fine legs and kirk every other episode got space tang. tasha yar and troi weren't half bad and some of the dabo girls on ds9 were pretty top heavy. then of course theres seven of nine and t'pol both of which were very sexy women.

BUT this is completely off topic.

i agree though that the imperium would be more like the dominion or cardassia from ds9 cause exploring for the sake of science not conquest just does not fit the imperium to well.

Artinam
05-07-2010, 14:45
Aye Rogue Traders, but in Star Trek terms they would be more conciderd as Ferengi or alternatively would be conquerers.

The Imperium of man has no use for such outdated morals... Prime Directive... pwah. Exterminatus is what they need. But first well blast all resistance away and steal their stuff.

baphomael
05-07-2010, 18:37
Aye Rogue Traders, but in Star Trek terms they would be more conciderd as Ferengi or alternatively would be conquerers.

Depends on the Trader in question. Some are little more than space pirates and privateers, while others play at being a conquering Imperial warrior-noble - 'liberating' worlds, speading the Imperial faith and exterminating alien species.

Lord Zarkov
06-07-2010, 08:31
Depends on the Trader in question. Some are little more than space pirates and privateers, while others play at being a conquering Imperial warrior-noble - 'liberating' worlds, speading the Imperial faith and exterminating alien species.
And some both, depending on which approach is more profitable for a given planet/region of space ;)

Pyriel
06-07-2010, 13:32
a famous huge vessel that kicks ass?... (cause peaceful exploring Enterprise, you wont find at all...)two words:

ETERNAL. CRUSADER.

the fact that it has probably more black templars in it than a normal space marine *chapter* has space marines, i think makes it badass enough :D

Hunger
06-07-2010, 17:11
I'm no Star Trek fan, but is not the equivalent of the Enterprise an explorator ship? Its mission of scientific discovery is the same as the Enterprise, no? Its just that the information will be used for a different purpose (conquest).

FabricatorGeneralMike
06-07-2010, 19:40
And some both, depending on which approach is more profitable for a given planet/region of space ;)

OT( thats why I loved the Rogue Books so much, Rogue Star and Star of Damocles are two VERY good BL books. It's to bad Andy Hoare left GW =o[)

I think there are ships like the Enterprise, famious ships with very famous Captains, Commodores and Admrials.

There are exploration ships, they are called Ad-Mech Exploritor Fleets, the only difference is instead of First Contact, then want it to be Last Contact. After they ummmm study...coughsstealcough... all your tech.

baphomael
06-07-2010, 23:40
OT( thats why I loved the Rogue Books so much, Rogue Star and Star of Damocles are two VERY good BL books. It's to bad Andy Hoare left GW =o[)

I think there are ships like the Enterprise, famious ships with very famous Captains, Commodores and Admrials.

There are exploration ships, they are called Ad-Mech Exploritor Fleets, the only difference is instead of First Contact, then want it to be Last Contact. After they ummmm study...coughsstealcough... all your tech.

No doubt, Admiral Ravensburg springs to mind.

mob16151
07-07-2010, 01:16
Could you consider Macharius's flagship, as an Enterprise type space ship? At least mission wise?

chromedog
07-07-2010, 06:45
Which Enterprise.

Several of the ships named "Enterprise" have been warships.
(I think there were more warships in the lineage than non-warships).

The Enterprise from "Through a mirror, darkly" is an almost 40k grimdark one.

canucklhead
08-07-2010, 00:38
It's futile to draw a comparison to the two systems, since they focus entirely on different aspects of themselves. Enterprise is the flagship of the federation, staffed by the elite of it's officer training facility, tasked with its most delicate and dangerous missions, and meant to exemplify all that is the Federration. Unfortunately, being built on the concept of a one hour tv drama, it only manages to focus on the occassional angst and constant pure bs brilliance of its top crew members. Repeated with every spinoff, including Voyager, which sucked so bad they had to recruit 2 of 38DD to provide some eye candy.

40k focuses on the great strugtgles, the man in the trenches (or Ork or Eldar....), and on individual moments and efforts. It then moves on to another of the same. It's rather like watching all of the various star trek shows playing out at once, with significantly more depth added to the invariably humanoid enemies.

So you wont find an Enterprise in 40k, because it's just too small a story to tell in anything more than a quick margin note.

"The Rogue trader ship "Eterprise", captained by one Jamius Tiberius Kirkarius was one of the most celebrated exploration vessels of the pre heresy era. Its captain is also credited with surviving more Alien STD's than any human in history, and is thought to be the father of literally dozens of human hybrid species."

and that would be the sum total of it

Admiral Koppenflak
08-07-2010, 00:55
I'm a Trekker... I say this with mixed emotions, considering some of the crap done recently. Hah.

I once recall on Spacebattles.com a "versus" thread that postulated what would happen in a Star Trek vs 40k space battle involving a Retribution class Battleship and any of the Enterprises to date. The most memorable response was a picture of a 5 year old school girl crying in the corner with a bunny rabbit, while a very fat, very hairy, very sweaty pedophile with a fire axe stood on the other side of the room...

But that's a story for another day, and I digress. But should any self respecting 40k fan even contemplate converting the USS Enterprise NCC-1701 for use in Battlefleet Gothic, I'd like you to remember the above description.

ALL THIS SAID... and rapidly moving on as fast as my moral legs will take me...

If you are talking about the stated mission of the Enterprise, as previous posters have points out... then Rogue Traders are probably the best and most appropriate. Most certainly, the idea of a dashing, charismatic trader/explorer who's made it his personal mission to sleep with Commander Shadowsun, Farseer Macha and any other mildly attractive Alien he could meet... before exploiting their planet for all its worth/blowing the crap out of every other ugly alien he sees seems to remind me of a certain Federation starship captain...

Hmmm...

Lunatic Fringe
08-07-2010, 04:06
kirk would be a good rouge trader. but heres the original rogue trader

Sai-Lauren
08-07-2010, 08:15
It's futile to draw a comparison to the two systems, since they focus entirely on different aspects of themselves. Enterprise is the flagship of the federation, staffed by the elite of it's officer training facility, tasked with its most delicate and dangerous missions, and meant to exemplify all that is the Federration. Unfortunately, being built on the concept of a one hour tv drama, it only manages to focus on the occassional angst and constant pure bs brilliance of its top crew members. Repeated with every spinoff, including Voyager, which sucked so bad they had to recruit 2 of 38DD to provide some eye candy.

Personally, I'd have said Voyager was a great idea wasted, but it only really went down hill after Scorpion, when 38 of DD and her amazing performing nanites came on board to save the day every week (and twice in sweeps week).

So you wont find an Enterprise in 40k, because it's just too small a story to tell in anything more than a quick margin note.

In the 40k rulebooks big overview, probably not.

Inside the 40k universe though, there almost certainly is:-
A celebrated ship, that's travelled to many worlds and been through countless battles;
A vessel that has been battered almost into oblivion but has always survived by the grit and determination of it's crew;
A focus of hope for humanity to say that they can stand against the universe and prevail, and something for all of humanity to try and emulate - basically a propaganda icon, whether it ever actually existed or not.

Emperors Teeth
08-07-2010, 09:54
Space: the final dominion of man. These are the righteous voyages of the warship Enterprise. Its five-millennia mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out and subjugate new life and new civilizations, to boldly reclaim for the Emperor all places man has gone before.

IvanTih
08-07-2010, 19:12
Space: the final dominion of man. These are the righteous voyages of the warship Enterprise. Its five-millennia mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out and subjugate new life and new civilizations, to boldly reclaim for the Emperor all places man has gone before.
Good quote,but you should only change five-millenia into something smaller or change the warship into the Rogue Trader or into Explorator.

imperial90
08-07-2010, 19:18
Why smaller? Some imperial vessels are even pre-heresey, 5 millenia is positively new by comparison lol

IvanTih
08-07-2010, 19:28
Why smaller? Some imperial vessels are even pre-heresey, 5 millenia is positively new by comparison lol
I know,but the "five millenia" mission is too long even for the 40k.

Raditz
08-07-2010, 21:52
I once recall on Spacebattles.com a "versus" thread that postulated what would happen in a Star Trek vs 40k space battle involving a Retribution class Battleship and any of the Enterprises to date. The most memorable response was a picture of a 5 year old school girl crying in the corner with a bunny rabbit, while a very fat, very hairy, very sweaty pedophile with a fire axe stood on the other side of the room...

Welcome to every single, "*Insert sci-fi here* vs. 40K" debate.

IvanTih
08-07-2010, 21:58
Welcome to every single, "*Insert sci-fi here* vs. 40K" debate.
Star Trek gets regulary pwned by almost everything.

anush_avan
09-07-2010, 22:16
ha ha,

funny

SharpSilver
10-07-2010, 21:35
By 'playing role' do you mean like playing the Flag-ship of a specific fleet like the Enterprise does?

I've not researched too deeply the workings and organisations of Imperial Fleet formations, but I imagine there is a [Insert something]-Class Cruiser that is a flagship of some fleet somewhere similar to the role played by the USS Enterprise.

Live long and prosper! \\//