PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious special rule

Lugburz
04-07-2010, 02:00
I noticed "Sea Creature" is now a special rule in 8th, tho I can't think of any units that could use it (giving it to skinks and river trolls would only allow them to make march-moves in water, so I doubt that will happen).

Is this the start of a new era? A subtle hint? The rise of Warhammer Armies: Fishmen! :rolleyes:

Anyone got a better guess?

ftayl5
04-07-2010, 02:06
My thoughts exactly. I could see River Trolls getting it but they wouldn't put a rule that affects 1 unit in the game in the rule book.
So maybe Fishmen ARE coming. Then maybe 40K will get space skaven :)

Falkman
04-07-2010, 02:43
The rise of Warhammer Armies: Fishmen!
Oh yes, I would hope so!

Volker the Mad Fiddler
04-07-2010, 02:47
I suspect it will have to do with a released campaign or a 'how to play a campaign' type book [ala The General's Compendium]. I can't see Warhammer Armies: Fishmen anytime soon.

enigma-96
04-07-2010, 02:55
In the BRB there are a few pictures showcasing boats and naval warfare so maybe it's hinting at a possible naval supplement?
God that would be awesome to have a more in depth naval system than the one given in that white dwarf series (which was pretty decent for it's time).

tiger g
04-07-2010, 03:36
Fishmen were mentioned in one of timeline announcements.

chamelion 6
04-07-2010, 03:39
In the BRB there are a few pictures showcasing boats and naval warfare so maybe it's hinting at a possible naval supplement?
God that would be awesome to have a more in depth naval system than the one given in that white dwarf series (which was pretty decent for it's time).

I think this is the likely reason...

I suspect it will have to do with a released campaign or a 'how to play a campaign' type book [ala The General's Compendium]. I can't see Warhammer Armies: Fishmen anytime soon.

Nor can I, but it was a rumor that poped up quite a bit with the older editions. A race of Mermen... I never could rationalize how exactly that would work though. But you never know........

Falkman
04-07-2010, 03:41
Fishmen were mentioned in one of timeline announcements.
Yes, as a joke :p.

Smiling Banshee
04-07-2010, 07:04
In Julys WD there is a a Battlefields article showing the Invasion of Chrace where a Dark Elf armada is accompanied by a 'Denizen of the deep' sea monster.

ftayl5
04-07-2010, 09:51
Nice, a naval element to warhammer would be great. we could replay Groms invasion of Ulthuan :)

cornonthecob
04-07-2010, 09:54
Nice, a naval element to warhammer would be great. we could replay Groms invasion of Ulthuan :)

"Sir there appears to be a large amount of flotsam and jetsom floating towards ulthuan"

"...and ?"

"It's being driven by greenskins"

"Damn"

Mazer Rackham
04-07-2010, 14:04
Perhaps a new race, not quite "Fishmen" but something akin to Atlanteans? (which High Elves maybe based on...uh..my knowledge of Fantasy isn't as solid as 40K) Something more highly advanced than the Elves or Old Ones..?

Perhaps something more oriental in flavour like Samurai? Maybe the Tau are coming to WFB? ;)

MR.

Ramius4
04-07-2010, 14:08
@MR... What are you talking about?

Korraz
04-07-2010, 14:18
Wouldn't read too much into it. They do put rules in the book, that affect nearly no units. Take "What happens if you have ASF and ASL?" for example. Since High Elves are not affected by it, I think of nobody, short of 2 or 3 heroes, that could have ASF and ASL simultaneously. But it's still in.
So, they put Sea Creature in. Over time, there will be more creatures in the game, that have that rule. River Trolls, Skinks, Sea Dragons(?)...

But they certainly won't create a big race out of nowhere.

Mazer Rackham
04-07-2010, 14:22
I just thought "Sea Creature" rule might allude to some new race/army perhaps, in a similar nature to some of the posts above. It was just an idle thought really.

It just struck me as Fishmen = Atlantean(esque). Sorry if I confused anything, maybe I misread the previous posts. I was just thinking that it wouldn't be out of precedent to bring back an Old Ones style race..."An Old Terror Resurfaces" for example. As I said, an idle thought.

MR.

GuyLeCheval
04-07-2010, 14:23
There will probably be a pirate/naval campaign. Most races now get to be pirates (see Skaven etc). The campaign couldn't do without a big see monster or 6, hence the rule.

NitrosOkay
04-07-2010, 14:31
Take "What happens if you have ASF and ASL?" for example. Since High Elves are not affected by it, I think of nobody, short of 2 or 3 heroes, that could have ASF and ASL simultaneously.

Grave Guard with Great Weapons and Vanhel's Danse Macabre.
Grave Guard with Great Weapons and Miasma of Deathly Vigour.

Two more!

Korraz
04-07-2010, 14:39
True. And of course any Unit with GW, that gets buffed by the ASF-Spell. Still, not very common.