PDA

View Full Version : Fear in 8th - Clarification needed please

Eternus
04-07-2010, 10:10
Good morning fellow forumites. Well, it's morning here anyway. Just wanted to ask a question about Fear works in 8th. I have read about testing each turn during CC, and that if the test is failed the fearful unit suffers stat modifiers while under the effects, but I don't have the book and have read onthis site two different versions of what the effects are. I have read that if the Fear test is failed, the unit fights with WS1 and A1, but I have also read that the Initiative is reduced to 1 as well.

Can someone who knows for sure clarify whether the 'I' value is affected, because obviously in 8th this would have a huge effect in combat.

Many thanks, and apologies if this has already been asked.

ftayl5
04-07-2010, 10:43
Well. At the start of close combat each model in contact with a fear causing model must take a LD test, if passed nothing happens (until next turn then you test again etc) If failed the unit has WS 1 for the rest of that combat round.

Initiative and attacks are not affected whatsoever

Terror (if your'e wondering) causing units cause fear as above but when charging the target must pass a panic test. If they fail they flee, if they pass they can make reactions as normal

Ultimate Life Form
04-07-2010, 11:04
Yes, that's right - test each round of combat and if failed it's WS1 for you this time around.

Eternus
05-07-2010, 08:37
It's not bad I suppose - definitely toned down though. Makes it harder for the enemy to hit the Fear causing unit and makes them easier to hit. I'll reserve judgement on this until I've seen it in action I think.

chamelion 6
05-07-2010, 08:56
It's not bad I suppose - definitely toned down though. Makes it harder for the enemy to hit the Fear causing unit and makes them easier to hit. I'll reserve judgement on this until I've seen it in action I think.

I like it better than the Autobreak. The old rule made the undead a one trick poney. Autobreak was too powerful and predictable and made the undead a powergamers dream. Because of that the troop cost was so high that building an army that could fight without exploiting the autobreak rule was impossible.

I played undead in 3rd and mostly in 5th to 6th. I think it was ok in 5th because everything was over the top and there were a plethora of magical counters to it. When everything was toned down for 6th it made undead core troops out of balance with other core troops in the game and forced a reliance on characters that was still in line with 5th ed and not 6th.

Eternus
05-07-2010, 08:59
I like it better than the Autobreak. The old rule made the undead a one trick poney. Autobreak was too powerful and predictable and made the undead a powergamers dream. Because of that the troop cost was so high that building an army that could fight without exploiting the autobreak rule was impossible.

I played undead in 3rd and mostly in 5th to 6th. I think it was ok in 5th because everything was over the top and there were a plethora of magical counters to it. When everything was toned down for 6th it made undead core troops out of balance with other core troops in the game and forced a reliance on characters that was still in line with 5th ed and not 6th.

And having to test every Combat Phase means the enemy have more chances to fail rather than all or nothing - I wonder if units will have to test each Combat phase for every Fear causing unit they are in CC with? Mutliple Raised Zombie units anyone?

I am concerned about crumbling with all those extra dice being rolled though - you need a lot of PD's to keep a Horde moving.

chamelion 6
05-07-2010, 09:13
And having to test every Combat Phase means the enemy have more chances to fail rather than all or nothing - I wonder if units will have to test each Combat phase for every Fear causing unit they are in CC with? Mutliple Raised Zombie units anyone?

I am concerned about crumbling with all those extra dice being rolled though - you need a lot of PD's to keep a Horde moving.

I think it's one test per unit testing. So if your in contact with 3 fear causing units you still only need to pass once per turn, but I don't know that to be fact.

I dunno... I'm not sure how it's going to play out. You might be right. But I think it's a move in the right direction. I think it brings fear more in line with the rest of the game though it may need some more tweaking.

Atrahasis
05-07-2010, 09:20
Yes, one test per unit testing.

That has the advantage that you only have to pass one test when fighting 2+ fear-causing units, but the massive disadvantage that a single fear causing model (Luthor Huss?!?!) can cause an entire unit to be reduced to WS1.

Eternus
05-07-2010, 09:27
I dunno... I'm not sure how it's going to play out. You might be right. But I think it's a move in the right direction. I think it brings fear more in line with the rest of the game though it may need some more tweaking.

I agree that it is more in line with the rest of the game, as the number of units fleeing, especially early in a combat, has been reduced across the board - there will actually be some fighting involved in CC first! :rolleyes:

venomx51
06-07-2010, 13:19
I wish they'd release the Race updates soon...

The testing for Fear only if you're in base contact leaves me wondering about Skrox units. Does that mean they effectively no longer cause Fear as the Krox won't be in base contact with the enemy? (I'd like to think this will be assume this would be addressed in the Lizzy eratta...)

Even so, there's only 1 model in the unit that causes fear, which in turn will only effect a few models, so some rethinking may need to be done on my 11 strong units (11 skinks, 1 krox)

Does this also mean that skinks in a mixed unit will no longer be immune to fear?