PDA

View Full Version : [8th] 2K HE list with Archmage using Book of Hoeth

Sinsigel
04-07-2010, 15:06
Lords&Heroes
Archmage(Level 4, Book of Hoeth)
Noble(BSB, Great Weapon, Dragon Armour, Barded Elven Steed,
Helm of Fortune, Guardian Phoenix)
Mage(Level 2, Dispel Scroll, Jewel of the Dusk)

Core
10 Archers
20 Spearmen(Standard Bearer, Musician)
20 Spearmen(Standard Bearer, Musician)

Special
15 Sword Masters of Hoeth(Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame)
5 Dragon Princes of Caledor(Full Command, Potion of Strength,
Standard of Blade)

Rare
Repeater Bolt Thrower
Repeater Bolt Thrower
Great Eagle

2,000pts

Noble will be leading DP unit, while the archmage joins the archer unit. Standard of Blade was given to DPs to maximize their one-turn offensive capability while potion of strength was given to drakemaster should he challenge hero characters(BSB included) with I6 or lower.
I thought of giving seerstaff to lv2 mage, but I was worried that he might have no spare dice left when I roll low numbers when gaining power dice. Since he won't be casting mega-spells with high casting value, I sticked with solid Jewel of Dusk. Archmage will be using Lore of Life exclusively. High Magic seems most suitable for lv2's supporting lore.

Foxbat
04-07-2010, 16:11
I really don’t think the Archer unit will make a good bunker for your Archmage. I would consider swapping out the SM for a ~15 model PG unit. On this unit I would look at giving it the Banner of Sorcery.

For the DP unit, I’m not sure you will be well served by the Blade Banner, and would likely consider giving this unit the Banner of Ellyrion and the unit champ the magic item that causes terror. This will give you a unit that can move through (hopefully after the FAQ) all terrain features without any ill effects and causes terror. I would also drop the musician and find some way to get the unit up to 6 models.

Now for the hard questions, what to do with the BSB and wing mage?

Of the two, the wing mage is easier; I would likely drop him down to a 1st level scroll caddy with Dsipel Scroll, Obsidian Pendant, and Screeching Blade. This guy will make your Spears fear causing and have a 6+ ward against spell induced wounds.

For the BSB I would really replace his Barded Steed and magic items with the Banner of World Dragon and place him with the Archmage in the PG. The protection from spells is a real must with this caster.

The last part of the list is the Rare and Core selections. As you have only 10 archers, a second RBT is a real must have in this list. However, expect to lose the RBTs quickly given the new 2 wound all or nothing stat line.

If you make these changes, you should end up with some points left over over which you can use to increase the size of the Spear unit(s), etc.