PDA

View Full Version : Getting Into Warhammer Fantasy

Aschen
04-07-2010, 19:28
I've been playing Warhammer 40K for a year now, and my playgroup has decided on trying out Fantasy. I was gonna try Lizardmen, but Beastmen caught my attention. Reading through the Beastmen thread, they seem to have a lot of issues. I was wondering which I should choose? If I go Beastmen, will I just be stuck with a completely underpowered army? Would Lizardmen be better?

Ultimate Life Form
04-07-2010, 19:35
Lizardmen are better suited for beginners as their incredible resilience means they forgive some tactical blunders. Their armor will shrug off a few blows unlike Beastmen who quickly find themselves utterly crushed if caught on the wrong foot.

Sebavin
04-07-2010, 19:38
Well what do you like better? simple as that
Beastmen have some issues, but once you learn them well you should get a hang of it.
Lizardmen are pretty solid just no shooting.
So if you want to get in all phases of the game Beastmen, if you don't care about that Lizardmen.
They are both kinda even right now so it is your choice, but that is my very very simple suggestion and opinion.

Ultimate Life Form
04-07-2010, 19:40
Lizardmen having no shooting is a lie, if you've ever seen a Giant fall to poisoned blowpipes or Salamanders panic an entire army you'll know what I mean. :D

HeroFox
04-07-2010, 19:45
How do you like not like Dinosarrzz? :-D

Deadboytat2
04-07-2010, 19:51
I think they are both good armys. Beastmen have some good magic and in 8th they will rock the lore of beasts. also they have some good shooting and great hth. there not as easy to use as lizardmen but they got alot of good things going for them.

My sugestion to anyone starting any mini's game is pick the army you will have the most fun painting because in the end thats half the hobby and if you find your self having more fun painting beastmen then go for that. A good strong army will follow once you know the rules better.

Tarliyn
04-07-2010, 19:51
How do you like not like Dinosarrzz? :-D

when I was choosing my first army, I was looking through the 6th ed brb saw the lizardmen picture said "Wait they have dinosaurs! done."

HeroFox
04-07-2010, 20:04
when I was choosing my first army, I was looking through the 6th ed brb saw the lizardmen picture said "Wait they have dinosaurs! done."

Pretty much how everyone I know that plays Lizardmen chose their army :D

Your pale companion
04-07-2010, 22:13
Lizardmen are a great army.
They have great shooting (The blowpipes are incredible and they have the salamander packs too), incredible magic and STEGADONS.
If they appeal to you at all model-wise and fluff-wise I suggest you pick this army.
I was very dissapointed in the changing of the beastemen (losing skirmish -although it's gonna change as a rule with 8th- really struck me) so I won't comment on them.

Tyranno1
04-07-2010, 22:36
Stuck between beastmen and lizardmen? Choose both, I did lol.

The lizardmen infantry are far tougher and stronger than beastmen ones, but are far more expensive. So less models to paint for them.

Infact most lizardmen units are expensive. Skinks aside of course.

The lizardmen are also generally slower. With terradons being the only flyer, and haveing M7 as the fastest value in thier army.

Beastmen can be alot faster, manouverable and can pick combats better. But of course lack alot of armour.

But lizardmen are also far far more reliable. They have the best LD in the game, with quite a few units causeing fear, terror or being immune to psychology. This would make them a better choice as a first warhammer army.

UberBeast
06-07-2010, 04:29
Lizardmen are my prefered of the two. I do actually have an army, but I haven't really touched them since before their latest book. They certainly play differently than any other army in the game.