PDA

View Full Version : What type of music do they listen do in 40k?

woodfin
05-07-2010, 00:06
And I don't mean religious songs and crap like that all about the emperor.

808thMyrmidons
05-07-2010, 00:32
they mention something about it in warriors of ultramar something like thrash music i believe its called

Corax
05-07-2010, 00:32
Hymns to the glory of the Emperor, Gregorian chanting, military parade music, eurodisco.

Askil the Undecided
05-07-2010, 00:48
Being that canonically there is not much info I'd encourage you to use your brain, on this one planet there are thousands of kinds of music.

Now imagine "an empire of one million worlds" there's going to be just about every kind of music you can possibly imagine in there.

Specifically mentioned is
Opera
Pound (a synthesised dance/trance/house/dubstep/drum n' bass thingy)
band ensembles (ranging from quintets to full orchestral pieces)
military themes
sports chants
Punk (Necromundan gangers with more instruments than guns basically)

So yeah the imperium is bloody big there's probably going to be just about every kind of music you can think of somewhere.

Tech-priest: It is finished, praise the machine god, may he bless this raging spirit.
Guitarist: Yes! Now it turns up to 11!

Ilkhan
05-07-2010, 07:15
As Askil mentions in passing, a music genre referred to as "Pound" shows up in a mutant dive in Malleus, the second book of the Eisenhorn trilogy. Judging from descriptions, I'd guess at it being more or less hard trance. Really, though, I doubt there are m/any Imperium-wide trends aside from a choice few omnipresent Ecclesiarchal hymns or Guard marches, and even with those I imagine there are variations in local arrangements. Even in its stricken state, it's a massive empire. There's room for pretty much every tune under the sun.

EDIT: Oh, and if you don't mind, Askil, I'm grabbing this quote for my sig.

Tech-priest: It is finished, praise the machine god, may he bless this raging spirit.
Guitarist: Yes! Now it turns up to 11!

DarkMatter2
05-07-2010, 07:17
My little heart wants to believe that at least 50% of the human music in the setting is variations on Gregorian chants.

Born Again
05-07-2010, 07:43
they mention something about it in warriors of ultramar something like thrash music i believe its called

See, after 40,000 years, metal is still going strong! \m/

Ilkhan
05-07-2010, 08:02
See, after 40,000 years, metal is still going strong! \m/

40k is more metal than vikings. It's so obvious that someone in the setting must have realized it, even through the lens of typical Imperial ignorance.

Metal I'm not concerned about. I'm just curious whether any corner of the Imperium has maintained enough middle-class preteen girls to ensure a bubblegum pop industry. I want to see a Dark Heresy campaign charting a Britney Spears type's career as a gradual slide into corruption followed by a drastic dark epiphany and subsequent reemergence as a Slaaneshi cult leader.

Askil the Undecided
05-07-2010, 09:18
Possibly, although it likely wouldn't be interplanetary as most things aren't expcept for war and commodities trading and it would be far more likely that the music would be much much darker more Marilyn Manson than Britney Spears.

The entertanment has got to be pretty extreme the lure you away from your soul-crushing hardships, gang wars, rotgut, praying the Arbites/Inquisition/next IG founding doesn't take you or your loved ones and the chrono-gladiator pitfights.

Also I'm not sure if the Imperium really has a middle class it's mainly a feudal system.

Poseidal
05-07-2010, 09:29
40k factions mostly listen to metal.

Chaos listen to Death Metal
Eldar listen to Hair Metal
Imperium listens to Power (armour) Metal
Orks listen to 'EAVY METAL

RCgothic
05-07-2010, 09:30
What type of music don't they listen to in the 41st millenia? I'm sure on the million worlds of the Imperium, you'll find every musical style that our one planet has ever invented and many more besides.

MetalGecko23
05-07-2010, 09:40
Possibly, although it likely wouldn't be interplanetary as most things aren't expcept for war and commodities trading and it would be far more likely that the music would be much much darker more Marilyn Manson than Britney Spears.

The entertanment has got to be pretty extreme the lure you away from your soul-crushing hardships, gang wars, rotgut, praying the Arbites/Inquisition/next IG founding doesn't take you or your loved ones and the chrono-gladiator pitfights.

Also I'm not sure if the Imperium really has a middle class it's mainly a feudal system.
Actually I find the opposite to be true. Generally metal type music is exactly the same and fulfills the exact same purpose as bubblegum pop. I know its harsh but Marilyn Manson is for the kiddies just like Brittney Spears. If anything "pop" music in the 41st would be going very strong if metal was. Metal is counter culture don't forget, without pop music metal has no place or meaning.

Now I would like to say that in the 41st millenium there is only metal! I just don't think that is quite accurate. The Imperium is full of predatory corporations and such and pop music is the music of choice for corporations. It would be possible to say that all the metal you could think of would be the "pop" of the 41st. The dregs of our world are nothing compared to the dregs of the Imperium. So metal music would take on a whole new meaning.

Music in the Imperium would be understandable to us on "real" Earth. We are all human and music is a part of us. It would be diverse like you couldn't imagine but relatable.

DarkMatter2
05-07-2010, 10:23
I know its harsh but Marilyn Manson is for the kiddies just like Brittney Spears.

It is not particularly harsh because it is not really true. Manson's music is satirical and subversive, Britney Spears' music is not. There is a big difference. Manson is an artist.

MetalGecko23
05-07-2010, 10:33
It is not particularly harsh because it is not really true. Manson's music is satirical and subversive, Britney Spears' music is not. There is a big difference. Manson is an artist.
If you say so, from where I'm sitting its about as deep and engaging. Now Tool there is some satirical and subversive artistic music. Manson is marketed to the same age group and crowd as Spears thats why its teenie bopper.

TimLeeson
05-07-2010, 10:37
fourty one thousand different sub-genres of electro-industrial.

Vaulkhar
05-07-2010, 11:28
Dark Eldar, of course, listen to the delicate harmonies and counterpoint of a thousand damned victims screaming for a release that may never come.

Pray you're never the soloist.

Sai-Lauren
05-07-2010, 13:18
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92018

Think that's the most recent time this question came up. ;)

Hunger
05-07-2010, 13:19
You might as well ask what music we listen to on Planet Earth? Its about as pointless a question as the OP. Every world will have a huge range of different styles, encompassing everything that has ever been written or composed by Mankind on our planet, plus a million other styles and genres that we have not dreamed of yet.

808thMyrmidons
05-07-2010, 13:34
Metal I'm not concerned about. I'm just curious whether any corner of the Imperium has maintained enough middle-class preteen girls to ensure a bubblegum pop industry. I want to see a Dark Heresy campaign charting a Britney Spears type's career as a gradual slide into corruption followed by a drastic dark epiphany and subsequent reemergence as a Slaaneshi cult leader.

foul heretic you must be purged.
that character shall be burned at the stake along with k-fed

Askil the Undecided
05-07-2010, 15:10
I love how the most important part of my last post was ignored.

The Imperium is mainly fuedal, ergo there is no real "middle class" to market small luxuries to it's generally just nobles and workers of variously terrible grades.

boxerlol
05-07-2010, 15:19
i believe in 1st edition the 'ere we go' book (background book for the orks) says the orks listen to and play rock music(while the goffs listen and play goff rock) and sing(scream) in choirs of a thousand or more (in canyons as they 'ave good harmonics)

Sinisterfence
05-07-2010, 15:29
In the Grim Darkness of the Far Future, there is only Black Metal!
Seriously, listen to Progenies of the Great Apocalypse by Dimmu Borgir and tell me that isn't the perfect soundtrack to 40k!
or Carving a Giant by Gorgoroth..
+ Bolt Thrower anyone? first album's cover was the Rogue Trader cover, the 3 albums I know of are In Battle There is No Law, Realm of Chaos (with songs such as World Eater, Plague Bearer, Dark Millennium, Through the Eye of Terror etc.) and Those Once Loyal ;)

Sai-Lauren
05-07-2010, 15:37
I love how the most important part of my last post was ignored.

The Imperium is mainly fuedal, ergo there is no real "middle class" to market small luxuries to it's generally just nobles and workers of variously terrible grades.

The Imperium may be feudal (and that statement in itself is probably another discussion), but that doesn't mean that every single world in the Imperium is.

Plus a significant work force needs overseers, managers etc to organise them, make sure they're making the right things, at the right level of quality and speed - basically the go-betweens between the workers and the owners.
Add in the beaureaucracy, suppliers of goods and services (the workers have to eat, drink, be clothed and so on), and that right there is effectively your middle-class.

Not to mention aspiration as production incentive - do good work, exceed your quotas, and you may just get a management job, with higher pay, a larger state provided apartment and social elevation (thus making you more desirable as a potential spouse).

You're probably looking at something like 85-90% working class, and at most 1% upper-class/nobility, but that still leaves hundreds of millions (if not billions) of potential customers for luxury goods.

Besides, there's also the Bread and Circuses argument, if you give the populace entertainment, they'll be less likely to rebell against you, whether that's the Colliseum, or mass media.

Hunger
05-07-2010, 18:18
Askil, whatever makes you think there is no middle class in the Imperium? The Imperium does indeed have a feudal structure, but there are certainly people with incomes above their basic needs and free time, and thus there is certainly a market for consumer products.

The Inevitable One
05-07-2010, 20:59
I probably think opera and choir singing. Since this is the far future where there is only war, hate and chaos, I hardly think rap/rock/metal is going to be in the picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4UJkl6eaGQ

woodfin
06-07-2010, 01:53
I honestly think that they would send inquisitors after the metal heads.

Wil Grand
06-07-2010, 01:58
Enya. For the win.

Felwether
06-07-2010, 02:03
Bolt Thrower. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Em5Qn_EU8) Jobs a good 'un. :evilgrin:

Ilkhan
06-07-2010, 05:39
foul heretic you must be purged.
that character shall be burned at the stake along with k-fed

Oh, I fully plan to have my Inquisitorial Acolytes burn her. I'm just afraid they won't make it in time to stop the cult from summoning the Gaga entity into a daemonhost.

First, my post was intentionally tongue-in-cheek. Second, I was "wondering if" there were enough middle-class preteen girls, not assuming their existence. Finally, I've become more or less convinced that no blanket statement can be made about the Imperium as a whole beyond "it's usually a pretty unfortunate place to live." While precipitous class divides between the wealthy few and the toiling many are certainly the norm in 40k, I really do believe that a number of planets have a greater degree of social stratification. I'm sure they're just as corrupt as the rest of the empire's rotting corpse, their taint just expresses itself a bit differently.

woodfin
06-07-2010, 16:20
Oh, I fully plan to have my Inquisitorial Acolytes burn her. I'm just afraid they won't make it in time to stop the cult from summoning the Gaga entity into a daemonhost.

First, my post was intentionally tongue-in-cheek. Second, I was "wondering if" there were enough middle-class preteen girls, not assuming their existence. Finally, I've become more or less convinced that no blanket statement can be made about the Imperium as a whole beyond "it's usually a pretty unfortunate place to live." While precipitous class divides between the wealthy few and the toiling many are certainly the norm in 40k, I really do believe that a number of planets have a greater degree of social stratification. I'm sure they're just as corrupt as the rest of the empire's rotting corpse, their taint just expresses itself a bit differently.

Not good! Last time the gaga was here, Alejandro was released! We need to blast it to 11 more then ever!