PDA

View Full Version : Pronunciations: How do you say that?

RotatingPanda
05-07-2010, 03:56
Not sure if this has been covered before but I couldn't find any threads about it. It probably has been and I'm just terrible with the searches. Anyway, in my local group, there is always some debate over how certain things are said and, although I'm sure there is no "right" way for some of them, I just want to ask a larger sampling how they pronounce certain words. In this case, the larger sampling is Warseer :)

These are a few that crop up in my group pretty much every week:

CíTan: KUH-tan or SUH-tan?
Tyranids: TEER-ah-nids or tie-RAN-ids?
Trygon: TRI-gawn or TRIG-un?
Zoanthrope: ZO-an-thrope or ZONE-thrope?

[SD] Bob Plisskin
05-07-2010, 04:02
CíTan: KUH-tan
Tyranids: TEER-ah-nids
Trygon: TRI-gone
Zoanthrope: ZONE-thrope

AndrewGPaul
05-07-2010, 07:21
Bob Plisskin;4789909']CíTan: KUH-tan
Trygon: TRI-gone
Zoanthrope: ZONE-thrope

I'm sure I read somewhere that the official pronunciation is suh-TAN. It's another of GW's dodgy puns. I don't know anyone who actually says it like that, though.

Personally, I use TIE-rah-nids, TIH-rah-nids or ti-RAH-nids interchangeably, and TRI-gon and ZO-an-thrope.

Ilkhan
05-07-2010, 07:25
C’Tan: SUH-tahn, though I've considered (and subsequently discarded) SEE-tan
Trygon: TRI-gon
Zoanthrope: ZO-an-thrope

Thanatos_elNyx
05-07-2010, 08:23
I still say See-Tan

I concur with Ilkhan for the rest.

Askil the Undecided
05-07-2010, 08:40
TIE-ran-ids: you know for the planet they where named after, planet Tyran with a "Ty" as seen in Tyrant and Tyson, you know, the one that's identical to the "Ti" in Tie, Tidal and Time.

If DOW is to be taken as canon:

Kuh-Tahn: Like Katana (which is a perfectly valid way to pronounce a "C" without an attendant modifier)

Hunger
05-07-2010, 11:22
Kuh-Tan (like "Katana"), though most of my friends pronounce it Suh-Tan.

Ti-Ran-Id (like "Tyranny"). When I got into 40K in the early 90s I did pronounce it Tie-Ra-Nid upon first reading the word, because it seemed more natural. However, the older players at the store all pronounced it Ti-Ran-Id, so I assumed their seniority meant they were correct.

Try-gon (like, "Try to be Gone when I get back"). Not sure how you could mispronounce this one.

Zo-An-Throwp (like "Go Anne, Throw the ball"). Seems more natural than Zone-.

Scelerat
05-07-2010, 12:25
In fact, "zone-thrope" is painfully incorrect.

ryng_sting
05-07-2010, 18:21
C’Tan: KUH-tan or SUH-tan?
Tyranids: TEER-ah-nids or tie-RAN-ids?
Trygon: TRI-gawn or TRIG-un?
Zoanthrope: ZO-an-thrope or ZONE-thrope?

Suh-tan.
TY-ran-ids. (Are they led by Hive Ty-RAN-ts? Of course not.)
Try-gon.
Zone-thrope.

It always surprises me to hear people pronounce the IW Primarch as Per-ter-AR-bo. Perhaps the less said about Ynnead the better. For what it's worth, I prounce it as in-ee-ad.

Wintermute
05-07-2010, 18:33
Not sure if this has been covered before

Yes it has many, many, many times eg here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260501&highlight=pronounce) and here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239653&highlight=pronounce).

Therefore...

...Thread Closed

Wintermute