PDA

View Full Version : Same State, Getting Better, or Becoming Worse?

The Inevitable One
05-07-2010, 05:53
The subject of this thread is aimed at the Emperor of Mankind. As we know, the Emperor was mortally crippled by Horus and the powers of Chaos. Because of that he is know a heaping corpse, not being able to move, and having to have psykers sacrifice themselves daily to save him from slipping away. But the main question is, what is currently happening with him? Is he getting better, getting worse, or still in the same state?

I had a thought and a cool one at that. It could be open to interpretation depending on how you want the Warhammer 40,000 story to go (continue or stop). I thought about one large mass of psykers entering the Imperial Palace to be sacrificed to the Emperor in a effort to "super-charge" him. Millions of spirits depart the bodies and start to pour into the Emperor. After that has happened the view drifts off down towards his hand and there is a small twitch and then it totally cuts off.

Just a thought though and I would like to hear what you think the current state of the Emperor is.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to reading your comments.

Clockwork-Knight
05-07-2010, 07:11
Physically, his body is dead since milennia. Nobody can argue against that.

However, his psychic powers are so great, that he can/is forced to still devour the souls of psykers, which he doesn't want.
Also, the golden throne keeps him imprisoned, as the scheme of the first inquisitors to keep the Imperium united through the ecclessiarchy and the faith in the Emperor himself is the very basis for the existence of the Imperium after the Horus Heresy.

However, the machine is falling apart, and perhaps then he can be free and be reborn (again).

But if that won't happen soon enough, evolution will kill off all of humanity. As more and more psychics are born, it will only be a few generations before mankind reaches the same psychic state like the Eldar or the Orks. But without the guidance of the Emperor, they will all fall prey to the Psychneuin, Warp Vampires, Enslavers, and Daemons. And then nothing will matter anymore, and man shall forever be slaves to madness.

The Emperor himself doesn't need the souls of the thousands of psykers that are sacrificed in eternal agony for him. As a powerful psyker, his consciousnes is strong enough to not dissolve in the Warp. However, only his powers can make astropaths, and keep up the astronomican, the guiding light in the warp.
The many thousand psykers who are torn apart daily ensure that these elements will work forever.

The Emperor is the eternal slave to an empire that should never have existed in the first place.

The Inevitable One
05-07-2010, 16:58
It is kind of hard to say what is best for the Imperium, letting him die and having the possibility of him coming back or letting him continue to feed on souls to maintain their current empire. Of course no one wants him to die because not only would the Imperium lose moral but no one could guide the ships or travel, whilst Orks and other aliens are attacking. But if he did die and was reborn, people's moral and sense of pride would overwhelm that of when the Emperor was a heaping corpse. This would then help people fight harder and retake a thousand worlds.

But the fact of the matter is, does he know that he will be reborn and if so, can he tell people to pull the plug on him? It would have to be kept very well hidden by the Adeptus Custodes and others so that the general public won't know and cause chaos. Not only that they would have to find the reborn Emperor child, unless he becomes the Starchild/Emperor-Sensei/etc.

mob16151
05-07-2010, 17:50
Wasn't there talk in one of the recent40k codex's that the Golden throne was developing mechanical flaws no one knew how to fix? If so I'm leaning towards the dying option on the poll.

Kage2020
05-07-2010, 17:58
I voted "Same," since he's as dead now as he was before (that is, mostly dead).

Kage

Lupe
05-07-2010, 20:29
I went with "Dying"

It wouldn't be 40K if anything was going good for mankind in the long run, would it?

igwarlord
06-07-2010, 04:46
I voted healing cause i want to see him wake up call in all his space marine legions and go into the eye of terror with serious whoop ass in his system

theJ
06-07-2010, 05:27
no offense, but the question is what is happening to him, not what we want to happen to him.

I put him up as "same", because frankly, if he had been as dying as they claim him to be, then he would be, y'know, dead by now. It's been ten thousand years after all, y'know.

The failings in the throne are interesting, but after all this time, I'd like some more... shall we say... "solid" proof before I switch him back into "dying mode".

Polaria
06-07-2010, 05:39
I voted same. The Golden Throne itself is xeno-artefact made by either a) Old Ones (you wish) or b) C'tan (Void Dragon specifically). The news that Golden Throne is "failing" is nothing but the ignorance of the keepers of the Throne. Since they did not understand how the machine worked and what it did to begin with they interpret it doing something strange as "failing".

Askil the Undecided
06-07-2010, 12:58
The Big E is dying.

Accept it, it's a crapsack universe.

It doesn't take huge techincal expertise to tell when a machine that's been heavily used constantly for almost ten thousand years starts to break the ten thousand years of wear would hint it quite nicely.

x-esiv-4c
06-07-2010, 13:04
Realms of chaos have him pegged as "a few living cells left" so I take that as majority dead :)

Iracundus
06-07-2010, 13:45
The Emperor has been described in RoC as gradually weakening and dying. That is why the Illuminati have been plotting to sacrifice the Sensei to re-empower the Emperor when he finally reaches the point of collapse.

Also, one has to remember the Emperor has been soul binding Astropaths for millenia. The ritual is described is stabilizing the Astropath by granting a tiny sliver of the Emperor's power. It may be a tiny sliver but the sheer number of Astropaths over the millenia would surely still add up to a lot of slivers of power being shed by the Emperor.

MagosHereticus
06-07-2010, 14:32
The Emperor has been described in RoC as gradually weakening and dying. That is why the Illuminati have been plotting to sacrifice the Sensei to re-empower the Emperor when he finally reaches the point of collapse.

Also, one has to remember the Emperor has been soul binding Astropaths for millenia. The ritual is described is stabilizing the Astropath by granting a tiny sliver of the Emperor's power. It may be a tiny sliver but the sheer number of Astropaths over the millenia would surely still add up to a lot of slivers of power being shed by the Emperor.

the sliver comes from the emperors super soul, that same soul devours many many many psykers, i doubt that he is giving more of himself out than he is consuming over time, his super soul has probably been growing since he was first feed psykers and is probably ridiculously huge, but it tethered to his body such that he can't reach his full potential

MarcoSkoll
06-07-2010, 14:47
I voted "Same," since he's as dead now as he was before (that is, mostly dead).
"It just so happens that the Emperor is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do - go through his clothes and look for loose change."
- Attributed to the Thorian Inquisitor Maximus Hyral immediately before three hundred and seventy-four other Inquisitors simultaneously denounced him as a heretic.

massey
06-07-2010, 14:54
GW will never give you a totally straight answer. In the massey-verse, the Emperor is dead. 100% totally. There's basically a skeleton in there, but everyone is too superstitious to open it up and see. The Golden Throne has probably been unplugged hundreds of times over the past 10,000 years, probably by some servitor who tripped over the cord. Then it stays unplugged for decades before some other servitor comes along and plugs it back in. The astronomicon? That's what happens when you sacrifice thousands of psykers every day. They make a very loud noise. Got nothing to do with the Emperor. Concepts of the Emperor granting power to his people would be explained mostly by technology (a rosarius isn't the divine blessing of the Emperor, it's a conversion field), with an actual miracle maybe happening every once in a while. Talk about the Star Child, the Illuminati, the Sensei, all that stuff is superstition (in the massey-verse).

El_Machinae
06-07-2010, 22:47
As far as I know, the knowledge to properly maintain the Golden Throne (or replace it) has been completely lost. This means, to me, that the Emperor is dying.

Kage2020
06-07-2010, 23:00
That's what you get for sending the plumbers away. Douglas Adams had it right after all...

:shifty: ;)

Kage

Corax
07-07-2010, 00:35
but everyone is too superstitious to open it up and see.

That's not superstition, that's fear of the Adeptus Custodes. ;)

mob16151
07-07-2010, 01:13
"It just so happens that the Emperor is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do - go through his clothes and look for loose change."
- Attributed to the Thorian Inquisitor Maximus Hyral immediately before three hundred and seventy-four other Inquisitors simultaneously denounced him as a heretic.

I lol'd, and now my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy. :D