PDA

View Full Version : ULF plays 8th Edition... and...

Ultimate Life Form
05-07-2010, 10:34
Alrigthy, so here my first 8th Ed game, documented for the posterity. It also heralds the first time ever I've played in a GW (I was invited to do so and check the FAQs, so I couldn't possibly turn down).

It was a 1000 points game and I decided to let my first army, Lizardmen, have the honor of also playing the first 8th Ed game. So here goes...

I didn't feel the need to hold anything back so this was my list:

Scarvet on Cold One, Shield, GW
Skink Priest L2 (Iceshard Blizzard, Chain Lightning)

20 Saurus Warriors, Command
6 Chameleon Skinks
Stegadon
1 Salamander
2 Salamanders

He had something like this:

Warlock Engineer L2 (Warp Lightning, Scorch)
BSB

50 Clanrats, Command (hereafter referred to as 'the horde')
20 Gnoblar Slaves
21 Gnoblar Slaves
Thingshredder
6 Rat Ogres and a bunch of Packmasters
Warp Lightning Cannon

The scenario was Watchtower. The objective is to hold the... uh, objective at the end of the game, which is random (roll D6 each turn, if Turn+D6 > 9 game ends). He won the roll to see who would be able to put a core into the tower but he declined after he heard what horrible damage the Salamanders would do to the unit in the building (D6 hits per template; reroll to wound thanks to flaming). As he had won the roll though I was automatically geting the first turn.

Ultimate Life Form
05-07-2010, 10:34
LM Turn 1

Stupidity passerd so full steam ahead. I decided to let one Salamander and the General sneak around the building to threaten his flank. The other flank saw the Salamanders position themselves across the horde and the Stegadon pushing forwards, its eyes fixed on the WLC.
Magic: PD8/DD6
Iceshard Blizzard on the WLC, 15, not dispelled.
Chain Lightning on the horde, 25, not dispelled.
Now this was the first crucial point in the ganme. The Chain Lightning had the potential to devastate his army, jumping from target to target and dealing horrible damage. What did it do: Roll 1 for number of hits, roll 1 for jumping test. Result: One cooked Clanrat. Great, but at this point I still dismissed it as a bit of bad luck. If I had known the things yet to come...
The Chameleon Skinks shot at the Slaves but were only able to fell 2. The Slamanders on the hill shot at the horde but proved quite out of range. Still one template touched the horde, resulting in 3 roasted Clanrats. Again a crucial point; the panic could have thoroughly screwed him over but he passed.

SK Turn 1:

The Slaves turn to face the Chameleons, and the rest of the army advances.
Magic: PD9/DD5
The Engineer fires a Warp Lightning at the General with 15. I know this might well prove fatal, so I go go for full dispel and shut the spell off. This proved a wise decision as the next came with IF. He Scorched my Chameleons and got them all save one, who subsequently panicked and fled. The Miscast result was 9, meaning he got a D6 hit that turned into a wound.
Now he revealed himself to have a Doomrocket and fired it at my Saurus Block. He also aimed pretty well but thankfully it stopped just a little bit away, doing nothing. The WLC wanted to shoot at my Steg but did nothing thanks to the Blizzard. This turn went largely in my favor.

LM Turn 2

The Steg charges the WLC. The WLC screws its Terror test and runs, thereby self-destructing. The Steg is stranded with a failed charge and dangerously exposed flank. The General charges the Slaves and reaches them with a glorious 17" charge. The Saurus go and bunker in the tower.
Magic: 8PD/6DD
Chain Lightning is cast once more with 20 but fails to do more than roast 3 measly Clanrats.
Now my lone Slamander is in a perfect position to flame across his flank and possibly panic the entire army, but of course it's a misfire. Another Salamander misfires, but the last one at least toasts 6 Clanrats. Again Panic passed though. I have horrible luck with these beasts.
Now something novel: As the Slaves have higher Ini than my General they actually go first, and with support attack that means he catches 6 attacks. Still they do nothing. Scarvet kills 2 Slaves, wins by 1 but the watchful eyes of his general nearby means they hold with steadfast.

SK Turn 2:

He's growing confident. His Slaves charge my Steg in the front, and the Rat Ogres catch its flank. The horde charges the tower and the Thingshredder the Salamander.
Magic: PD3/DD1
How much damage can you do with 3 PD? The answer is a lot if you get an undispelled Scorch through on the building, resulting in 2 roasted Saurus Warriors.
The Scarvet is wounded by the puny Slaves! He also kills only 2 in return. I lose by 1 and hold. The Thingshredder rolls a 10 for hits and shreds my Salamander who failed to wound with ease. In the building it's 10 vs 10. My initial idea was that 10 Skaven are no match for 10 Saurus statistically (with having twice the attacks and all), but he assigned his BSB to duty in the building and that guy will severely hurt me over the course of the next turns with his 3 S5 attacks. The first round sees a ratio of 4 (!) dead Saurus versus 5 dead Clanrats. For calculating CR in a building only actual wounds count, so I win by a margin. He makes his rerollable steadfast Ld8 test and passes, of course. Meanwhile the Stegadon is totally ripped apart by a horde of crazed Rat Ogres. He did 8 wounds (5 after saves) and I did not even get to strike back or do a little thunderstomping. Rarely has the beast failed me so spectacularly. This was a severe blow to me.

Ultimate Life Form
05-07-2010, 10:35
LM Turn 4:

Not much left for me to do;
Magic: PD9/DD6
I cast Chain lightning on the Rat Ogres, but the one wound and 2 dead Packmasters don't help me much at this point. However the spell finally passes its jump test and arcs to the Slaves, roasting a whopping 6 of them. This is enough to panic them, which they do.
In CC 3 Saurus die and 5 Clanrats; again I win and he holds but my ranks are growing thin while his power is undiminished.

SK Turn 4:

The Slaves flee the table. The Thingshredder fails a charge on the building and the Rat Ogres charge the Salamanders for the finishing blow.
Magic: PD10/DD7
Scorch is cast irresistibly, ruining some more Saurus. The miscast result is largely irrelevant now but his General loses 3 Levels and is thus de-wizarded.
Now for a legendary slaughter: This time thanks to the 'help' from the Salamanders I lose a whopping 9 wounds. The 6 Clanrats I kill are not helping me this time, so I lose. I am however automatically steadfast in the building, but it doesn't matter as I roll insane courage anyway.

Now I could have won, as it was time to check if the game ended and I was still holding the tower. I needed a 6 and rolled a 5. Great. This was the one truly decisive roll in this game and I mess up again...

LM Turn 5:

Magic: PD5/DD4
I cast another Chain Lightning on the Rat Ogres but it's more out of spite. Causes two losses, changes nothing. In battle I lose 3 more Saurus and hold steadfastly. However it is clear now that I'll lose, with only 2 of them left standing.

SK Turn 5:

The Thingshredder charges the building and shreds my last 2 Saurus, of course again with a high roll. Seeing How all that's left of my army is a Priest and a scared Chameleon Skink I call it quits. I lose my first 8th Ed game the same way I lost all my 7th Ed games: Due to ridiculously bad luck. Congrats on the victory!

The Skink Priest can do nothing but watch in horror as his brethren are ripped apart by the furry horde.

The lone surviving Chameleon Skink was below 25%, but due to the new rules he still had a chance to rally with insane courage. Needless to say he didn't. Instead he slowly but surely made his way across the entire table (they no longer flee towards the table edge but in a straight line) and would probably have ended up amidst a 40K demo game next turn.

Ultimate Life Form
05-07-2010, 10:36
And my thoughts are as follows:

- Charging blocks with combat characters is no longer a save bet.
In 7th Edition my Scarvet would have wiped the floor with these measly Slaves. Here however they bogged him down all game and even hit back. I guess blocks are really much more powerful. That's what I was hoping for, but... it's annoying that my poor Scarvet fell to a bunch of stupid Slaves 1/3 his cost. :cries:

- Wizards more dangerous.
It was a great feeling; even a single L2 wizard can wreak total havoc with a few lucky rolls. With the new possibility of throwing up to six dice per spell the numbers you reach are truly breathtaking. I've never seen a spell cast with 23 before. That means even a small wizard can be a potentially dangerous caster, especially as the Power Dice are so abundant. I advice giving them these items that make them know more spells for better variety, because one of my spells was useless later in the game and I always had a bunch of leftover PD. This is a very welcome change as my Skink Priest was usually more of a bystander in7th.

- New dice.
I'm dead serious. I'm not a superstitious person but in this game the performance of my GW dice was even more abysmal than usual, and seeing how dice have become even more important... It's not just me, all the guys around me noticed as well. When at one point of the game I rolled 8 to wound dice and scored a total of six 1's, I decided to heed their advice and get myself a set of new dice. These skull dice look like thei're 'balanced' to roll many 6's...

Golden Lion
05-07-2010, 13:14
Nice report ULF! Thanks for putting it up. It gives a nice impression of 8th edition at lower point levels and it is always lovely to see painted (well your lizzies anyway) armies engage each other across sweet terrain. Tough to suffer bad luck, but we all suffer from it, even though it may seem you get the shorter end of the stick (I do assume you make the customary sacrifice of three baby rabbits pre-battle?)

willowdark
05-07-2010, 13:32
That was a good looking table, and some nice minis. That alone made the report worth reading.

Definitely got a good look at magic in 8th, even though it was largely ineffective that was really just a matter of bad dice rolls. Had you rolled well you could've done some real damage with chain lightning. Lore of Heavens looks really good right now.

And I agree about plaque of tepok and similar items. I've been using the Tome of Furion and think it's definitely worth keeping in 8th.

madden
05-07-2010, 13:41
What's a thingshredder? Good report.

Malorian
05-07-2010, 14:16
Thanks for the report ULF :)

You're right, characters can't take on blocks any more (thank god!).

freddieyu
05-07-2010, 14:34
The key question....despite losing..was the game fun for you???

selone
05-07-2010, 14:37
Really nice report, I really should start embedding pictures in my reports as well :)

Ultimate Life Form
05-07-2010, 14:42
I must say I always enjoyed smaller games better, but the fact that my Skink Priest is no longer 100 points of decoration alone has made me greatly enjoy the experience. The randomness adds uncertainty to each element of the game, and since you're no longer able to tell the positions of all units 5 turns in advance that means the game is far morer interesting. The game may have issues we don't know yet, but personally I feel this is Warhammer like it should always have been. It has a fresh feel of liberty that I badly missed when I signed up for the game. I started with 7th and when I was to learn the movement rules I went like :wtf:. Thankfully they made everything far easier and more beginner friendly so casual players like myself are bound to enjoy it more. I do understand how tournament players feel they ruined their game, but that doesn't faze me personally. GW always said it wasn't a game for tournaments, so if you do them regardless you can't really complain.

freddieyu
05-07-2010, 14:51
I must say I always enjoyed smaller games better, but the fact that my Skink Priest is no longer 100 points of decoration alone has made me greatly enjoy the experience. The randomness adds uncertainty to each element of the game, and since you're no longer able to tell the positions of all units 5 turns in advance that means the game is far morer interesting. The game may have issues we don't know yet, but personally I feel this is Warhammer like it should always have been. It has a fresh feel of liberty that I badly missed when I signed up for the game. I started with 7th and when I was to learn the movement rules I went like :wtf:. Thankfully they made everything far easier and more beginner friendly so casual players like myself are bound to enjoy it more. I do understand how tournament players feel they ruined their game, but that doesn't faze me personally. GW always said it wasn't a game for tournaments, so if you do them regardless you can't really complain.

Ah then that is great!

Ultimate Life Form
05-07-2010, 14:53
Yes. And on the Thingshredder...

I just looked it up and the correct term would have been Doom-Flayer. -.-

Sorry.

Avian
05-07-2010, 14:56
The Steg shouldn't have failed the charge since a war machine that fails a Terror (i.e. Panic) test don't run away.

Ultimate Life Form
05-07-2010, 14:59
Hm... okay. It's not entirely sure how that would have changed the game... I could also have rolled low. This turn cost both of us our powerhouses, but when I lost the Steg I pretty much knew it was over.

Tomalock
05-07-2010, 16:57
It looks like you guys didn't do the building rules quite correctly. On anything other than a win the attacker fails and is forced from the building, having to push back 1 inch. That means that he should not have been in combat on your turn, only being able to charge on his own turn. That would have reduced the number of attacks in CC on the sarus.

Glad you had fun, been enjoying 8th quite a bit myself!

Falkman
05-07-2010, 17:44
Agree with Tomalock.
Also this:

because one of my spells was useless later in the game
Is somewhat wrong, Iceshard Blizzard reduces chances to hit in combat as well, so you could've cast it on the horde to reduce their killing spree.

Great battle report though, lots of nice pics and very clear and tidy writing :).

Ultimate Life Form
05-07-2010, 18:38
So I lost through a mixture of bad luck and not being familiar with the new rules - I guess I can live with that. :)

Though I'm sure he made some mistakes that hurt him, too.

SevenSins
05-07-2010, 21:53
nice rep, nice pics, whats not to like? Thanks, ULF!

chivalrous
05-07-2010, 22:23
Yes. And on the Thingshredder...

I just looked it up and the correct term would have been Doom-Flayer. -.-

Sorry.

Actually, I'm preferring 'Thingshredder' :D

Jack of Blades
06-07-2010, 02:41
Actually, I'm preferring 'Thingshredder' :D

Yes... commend and heed the new name of the ex-Doom Flayer :D

eagletsi1
06-07-2010, 02:58
Very nice. So how did skaven SIN work? There has been a lot of confusion with it.

Thanks for the report.

Ultimate Life Form
06-07-2010, 09:08
Yes... commend and heed the new name of the ex-Doom Flayer :D

All honor belongs to the German translation team who did a good job for once... not like usual with the Razordon ('Spiny Salamander' :wtf:) or Razorgor (completely made-up name :wtf:)

Very nice. So how did skaven SIN work? There has been a lot of confusion with it.

I'm not quite sure where the confusion comes from? SIN still works the same, no?

noT_Him
06-07-2010, 09:55
ULF did you get the impresion that the higher points you play the less magic will mean ( because you always get up to 12 dices ) and the "magic i over the top" mantra is derived from people playing the game under 3000 pts format ? I had one game with old rules and new magic system and it was a blast ( 3000 pts ) magic wasnt dominative alltogether ( units begin to fight much much quicker due to new rules for movment )

Ultimate Life Form
06-07-2010, 10:04
Yes, of course the PD cap also means a magic cap. In a small game a Skink Priest may be able to ravage an entire army with Chain Lighting, but in a 10000 points game the one or two odd spells coming through per turn won't do much damage. You would need wizards that 'cheat' the system, like Slann with extra dice or dice generating Vampires to have an impact on the game.

eagletsi1
06-07-2010, 13:56
Well does SIN add to the Steadfast roll or not? If so, you could have steadfast hard to break Skaven

chivalrous
09-07-2010, 22:50
Yes, of course the PD cap also means a magic cap. In a small game a Skink Priest may be able to ravage an entire army with Chain Lighting, but in a 10000 points game the one or two odd spells coming through per turn won't do much damage. You would need wizards that 'cheat' the system, like Slann with extra dice or dice generating Vampires to have an impact on the game.
Dark Elves with PoC and using Death Magic :evilgrin: