PDA

View Full Version : 3000 point Orcs & Goblins list, please c&c!

Lord Hurin
05-07-2010, 20:56
Hey all, I'm working on seriously bumping up my O&G army. It's currently at around 1800 points, but it seems that huge games of 2500+ will be increasingly common in 8th. Seeing as this is a work-in-progress and won't be done in time for 7th Edition gaming, I'm really trying to get into the feel of 8th Edition.

Lord

Boldog Mansbane - 211pts
Black Orc Warboss; 'Eavy Armour, Enchanted Shield, Martog's Best Basha, Best Boss 'At

Grishnakh Da Arkayne - 240pts
Orc Great Shaman; Lvl 4, Dispel Scroll

Heroes

Ugluk Da Flag Holda - 164pts
Black Orc Big Boss; BSB, 'Eavy Armour, Mork's Spirit Totem

Muzgash Grotkilla - 135pts
Night Goblin Shaman; Lvl 2, Staff of Sneaky Stealin'

Core

Shagrat's Ladz - 264pts
39 Orc Boyz; Shields & Full Command
<Boldog goes here>

Mauhur's Ladz - 264pts
39 Orc Boyz; Shields & Full Command
<Ugluk goes here>

Durburz's Too 'Andas - 303pts
39 Orc Boyz; 2 Choppas & Full Command
<Grishnakh goes here>

Da Snipas - 90pts
15 Arrer Boyz

Da Snipas - 90pts
15 Arrer Boyz

Bolg's Gitmob - 251pts
49 Night Goblins; Spears, Nets & Full Command
<Muzgash goes here>

Azog's Gitmob - 255pts
50 Night Goblins; Spears, Nets & Full Command

Arrer Gitz - 63pts
21 Night Goblins; Short Bows

Arrer Gitz - 63pts
21 Night Goblins; Short Bows

Special

Gorbag's Wagun - 80pts
Orc Boar Chariot

Lugduf's Wagun - 80pts
Orc Boar Chariot

Gothmog's Wagun - 80pts
Orc Boar Chariot

Boldog's Toof - 35pts
Spear Chukka

Nuln Crusha - 70pts
Rock Lobba

Da Teef of Gork - 70pts
2 Spear Chukkas

Da Teef of Mork - 70pts
2 Spear Chukkas

Rare

Da Foecrusha - 80pts
Doom Diver Catapult

2958 Points Total

rtunian
05-07-2010, 21:53
your warboss and bsb won't get look out sir rolls if they're on boars in units of infantry. if you are on a different base than unit, no look out sir. units of 25 are too small to gain steadfast against anything but tiny elite units, and with low initiative you want to have numbers to soak up the kills before you get to strike. instead of 3 units of 10 arrer boyz, try 1 unit of 30 arrer boyz. instead of 2 units of 25 boyz, try 1 unit of 50. unit of 28 is probably still fine for non-combat mork's totem bsb

Lord Hurin
05-07-2010, 22:11
Are such big units going to become standard now? Should I drop other units to make more Boyz mobs? Sigh... this game keeps getting more and more expensive ;)

rtunian
06-07-2010, 14:24
hurin have you seen the new rules or read the rumours? models with low initiative will need to have big units, because combat is in strict initiative order. that means that if your charge an i3 unit with your orcs, you will be striking last. you need bodies to absorb casualties.

with a little consolidation, your list should be okay

Lord Hurin
06-07-2010, 15:29
hurin have you seen the new rules or read the rumours? models with low initiative will need to have big units, because combat is in strict initiative order. that means that if your charge an i3 unit with your orcs, you will be striking last. you need bodies to absorb casualties.

Ah, whoops... Must've missed that bit. I've only had a couple quick glances through the book so far. Should I have more than one big Orc Boyz unit though? The 2x Choppa Boyz were going to be used for flanking like Empire Detachments. Is this still valid at all or should I make one larger mob?

rtunian
06-07-2010, 15:41
well you have 3 large units already, so probably don't need any more. i think you might want to consolidate your 3 units of 12 choppa boyz into 2 units of 18. this will conserve space and increase relative mobility (since you have so many units and so little room to deploy/move around) while providing some wound insulation for each of the units. can then still use them how you would have

Gorak
06-07-2010, 16:02
i say add a couple of fanatics, drop the duel choppa boys all together and eith go for 30 man unit of orcs 5x6 or 40 man 10x4. as for heros... well I'd drop the boars upgrade the warboss to a black orc, drop one shamman as 3 wizards will have a hard time sharing avg 7 dice and go with a lvl4 gobo shamn and a lvl 2 orc shaman or vice versa.

Lord Hurin
10-07-2010, 04:10
List revised and updated.

thesheriff
10-07-2010, 08:53
I would be tempted to drop some of the bowmen and warmachines for a black orc boss with Giant blade, Ironback boar, heavy armour, shield. Although you don't get look out sir rolls when he is in one of the big units, you break him off into a wood and letr him charge the nearest warmachine, small unit, or lone charecter or monster in sight. Or, he launches supporting charges at targets the big boyz units launch. He has 5 S8 attacks at black orc WS. And he has D3 impact hits, and has a 2+ save. And all for 230pts, he's a bargain

but i like you list.

thesheriff

D'Haran
10-07-2010, 17:41
Your Orc Shaman is illegal, only 1 magic item from each category allowed. This means if you take a scroll that's the only item you're getting.

Lord Hurin
10-07-2010, 20:15
Right, which item should I drop then?

rtunian
10-07-2010, 20:47
drop the staff. you already have +4 to casting

Lord Hurin
11-07-2010, 19:19
Ah, fair enough. I forgot about that rule :)

Sliver
12-07-2010, 20:40
Looks like a sweet list. I'm thinking you should have some cheap goblin characters with big axes to boost your goblin blocks.

The survivability of your BSB scares me btw. W2, T5, 5+ save. But the only option would be to take a unit to hold the banner, which would be a bit costly. Might be worth it thou. Or stick the BSB to a unit you dont plan to throw in combat, I guess making him a Night goblin bigboss to go with a unit of archers would be the best idea for keeping the bonus as long as possible.

Lord Hurin
12-07-2010, 23:39
The survivability of your BSB scares me btw. W2, T5, 5+ save. But the only option would be to take a unit to hold the banner, which would be a bit costly. Might be worth it thou. Or stick the BSB to a unit you dont plan to throw in combat, I guess making him a Night goblin bigboss to go with a unit of archers would be the best idea for keeping the bonus as long as possible.

Well a BSB can't have a shield, right? I could mount him up on a Boar though... but then he wouldn't get his "Look Out, Sir!" from infantry models.

rtunian
12-07-2010, 23:56
night goblin big boss cannot take mork's totem. only orcs can take it. it is my opinion that if you really want mork's totem, then you need a unit of biguns or black orcs. the bsb is too valuable otherwise, to not have magic armor of i'm a badass plus one.

Lord Hurin
13-07-2010, 13:10
Is the +1 Toughness really worth 50 points? I guess with BSB's being so important in this edition I need to protect them. A 6+ save seems pretty weak though...

rtunian
13-07-2010, 14:39
oh i was referring to one of the new common magic items. isn't there one that gives you a 4+ ward save that's 45 or 50 points?

Lord Hurin
13-07-2010, 15:11
oh i was referring to one of the new common magic items. isn't there one that gives you a 4+ ward save that's 45 or 50 points?

D'oh! I haven't got the book yet. I thought you were talking about the Armour of Mork, which isn't great...

rtunian
13-07-2010, 15:26
i don't either. that's why i was unable to give the item's name. i'm drawing off of memory, which, as evidenced by a few recent bidens, isn't supremely reliable ;)

AM1640
13-07-2010, 15:41
Hi Your list is pretty good.
After a couple of small games of 8th edition I have found that most people are casting spells with 3 or 4 dice at a min and sometimes the casting value soared in to the 20+ range even for small spells so take lots of magic defense.
The units of orcs are going to be very resiliant to shooting and may be able to be used as horde units otherwise units of 30 would be enough.
Just because a unit is 10 models wide and considered a horde doesn't mean you get to fight with all 10 models, they still have to contact a 10 model wide enemy unit to be in combat.
I had a unit of 40 night goblins with spears in combat with 2 enemy units and it was exciting to roll 38 attacks (some died before getting to attack).
Why are there no fanatics in your list? Try to fit at least 2 fanatics each in to some of the night goblin units.
Steadfast due to having more ranks than your opponent is very handy and will mean your units stay on the field longer. It is especially nice if your general and BSB are nearby to assist.
The 1 bolt thrower should be dropped and replaced with a rock lobba.
Can you find the points to upgrade one unit of orcs to big un's. better WS and S are really usefull, and they can carry a magic banner-of which there are many in the new common list in the new rullebook.
You will also have to consider the advice from TheSherrif about hiding a character in the woods. Woods and other terrain pieces can kill a cavalry character-dangerous terrain test and mysterious terrain. There are some woods that can actually kill models now.

Lord Hurin
13-07-2010, 15:53
Hmmm, a couple quick questions.

First, one relating to the army: How doe other model Big 'Uns? Are there specific models to be used or do you just say "this unit is different"? Also, I assume choppa and shield are the way to go rather than dual choppas?

Secondly, does anyone recommend getting the hardcover rulebook immediately? I was seriously considering waiting for the boxed game to be released. I've always wanted to start High Elves.

Deglosh
13-07-2010, 17:23
First off, Props fro the fluff! I love the name of youre warboss, haha classic!
Secondly, id say put all those orc bow guys in 1 unit, same with the shortbow-gobbos. Then get some fanatics. At least 1 per unit. They are just to good to pass up tbh.

In my opinion aswell, drop all chuckas, get another stonethrower instead.
otherwise it looks like a fun and fairly solid list.

Thruster
16-07-2010, 10:55
Like everybody said, Stonethrower is much nicer with this edition with no guessing. Can drop both Big Monster and Large Block of troops.

2 Stonethrowers (at least!) is the way to go.