PDA

View Full Version : New Empire Army Composition

Cpt_Baughan
05-07-2010, 21:01
Hi all,

Having spent many years playing 40k the new edition of Fantasy has finally tempted me into starting my first fantasy army. I have picked up the Empire battalion box set which along with many other units contains 40 Empire State Troops and 20 Handgunners/Crossbowmen plus the codex, a captain on foot and warrior priest

Now that store copies of the new rule book are in games workshops I was hoping some of you may have a better understanding of how the new rules will affect the Empire troopers plus the detachments system and will therefore be able help me design my force layout so I can get cracking.

Baring in mind these few things; I know nothing about how fantasy rules work beyond 40k comparisons and whats in the Empire codex as the rule book I pre-ordered will be my first and that ascetically Im not a fan of spearmen and prefer Handgunners to Crossbowmen

What weapon options and unit configurations would you go for in my core units?

Any other advice be it tactical, army list based or modelling/painting please feel free to contribute also.

Thanks all

BeatTheBeat
05-07-2010, 21:58
If you give us a more specific list of what you've got I'll be more than happy to help you! To start off you can't go far wrong with assembling and painting up loads of halberdiers or swordsmen and 2x10 handgunners.

Cheers,
BTB

Spoonie
06-07-2010, 04:31
I'll agree with Beats here. Halberdiers and Swordsmen are both solid infantry choices. Personally my preference is for parent units of Halberds with the Detachments being Swordsmen. Hand gunners are also my ranged unit of choice.

If nothing else, Empire armies are fun and easy to theme. Each of their provinces have their own particular flavor you can put in to your list through army choices. The more rural provinces might have more spearmen and crossbows, while the wealthier inner provinces are more likely to have hand gunners and swordsmen. On top of that there's warrior priests and their flaggelants or knights you can theme an army around.

Thinking about what style you want for your army as a whole can help you out with model building decisions. Very few of our troops are terrible, although flaggelants, free company, and huntsmen are pretty weak in 8th so far.

Cpt_Baughan
06-07-2010, 07:22
Cheers guys so my starter force comprises of
Empire Captain with Hammer and Pistol & Empire Warrior Priest with Additional Hand Weapon
40 Empire State Troops
20 Handgunners/Crossbowmen
10 Greatswords
Five Pistoliers/Outriders
Eight Empire Knights
A Great Cannon/Mortar kit

What Im really thinking is am I better under the new rules to build my troopers to assume bigger units are better and make a parent unit of 40 with a detachment of 20 Handgunners and expand on that or would two parent units of 20 with detachments of 10 Hangunners to ok? Plus do swordsmen or Halberdiers make better parent units or better detachments?
Im working on a back ground story and would certainly look to expand to the State Troops, Handgunners, Knights and Great Cannon elements of the army

Thanks