PDA

View Full Version : 8th - Three Prototypical HE Builds (2000, 2500, 3000pts)

Quannum
06-07-2010, 09:22
Hello all,

Having had my shiny new BRB for a while now, my friends and I have been playtesting extensively each of our armies (including my HE and their Skaven, Orks, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Vampires) and I have come up with these three 'prototypical' lists for our Asur. I call them prototypical as I see them as balanced, efficient, synergetic and most of all, fun.

Our local gaming club has decided upon 3000 points as the standard army points value due to the somwhat baffling tendency that people have towards fielding big hordes of infantry. But I do believe the powering-up of the game in all phases (see any lore of Magic, two ranks and volley in shooting, and stepping up in combat) leads us towards larger armies. I'll give observations of my playtesting following each list.

So, without further ado:

2000pts.

LORD: Archmage (Life) - Level 4, Silver Wand, Pigeon Plucker Pendant - 275

HERO: Mage (Metal) - Level 2, Seerstaff of Saphery - 165

HERO: Noble - BSB, DA, GW, BoTWorld Dragon - 184

CORE: 20 Lothern Sea Guard - Full Command, Shields, BoEternal Flame - 295

CORE: 20 Spearmen - Full Command, Shields - 205

SPECIAL: 19 Phoenix Guard - Full Command, Razor Standard - 360

SPECIAL: 14 White Lions - Full Command, Skeinsliver, BoSorcery - 315

RARE: Repeater Bolt Thrower

TOTAL - 1999pts.

Ok, so my 'basic' army forms the foundation of later lists and still manages to put a fair whack of models on the table. You will notice that all my special infantry run in 7-wide formations. I've found that sacrificing ranks for killability is so much more efficient for the HE, given our ASF and re-rolls. I've tried multiple ranks but static combat res have lost out to actual kills. Thusly, 7-wide it will be. The Phoenix Guard act as the bunker for the Archmage and BSB and with the 7-wide frontage, fighting in two ranks, and S4 Armour-Piercing Halberds does a nice bit of damage. I can still cast Throne of Vines on the Archmage to act as a support caster. Given the new rules for choosing spells when you roll duplicates, the Silver Wand is a cheap way of almost guaranteeing the spells I want. White Lions beat out Swordmasters now - Stubborn for HE is so so good and their better survivability, and more efficient synergy with two-rank fighting (Swordmasters in the second rank lose an attack) means I'm taking White Lions all day. Level 2 Mage takes Metal for Enchanted Blades and Glimmering Robe. Those buffs are too good. A battery of 2 RBT's finishes off the list to provide versatile support fire. I know they are easier to kill, but I have still found them invaluable. One is not worth it, two is good, three, as you'll see in games of 3k up, is ideal. The PPP on the Archmage is just to fill points. But it's still a cracking item for 5 pts....Having said all this though, it's very unlikely I'll be playing at this points level, but its the foundation....

2500pts

LORD: Archmage (Life) - Level 4, Silver Wand, ToPreservation - 315

HERO: Mage (Metal) - Level 2, Seerstaff of Saphery, GoCourage - 175

CORE: 30 Lothern Sea Guard - Full Command, Shields, BoEternal Flame - 425

SPECIAL: 19 Phoenix Guard - Full Command, AoLight, Razor Standard - 375

SPECIAL: 14 Swordmasters - Full Command, Skeinsliver, BoSwiftness - 280

SPECIAL: 14 White Lions - Full Command, BoSorcery - 290

RARE: Giant Eagle

TOTAL - 2499pts.

Ok, so we're building up now. The Archmage has some worthwhile protection, whilst the Mage who now joins the LSG has the Gem to hopefully keep them in the centre of the line. To reach min core, the ever-awesome LSGuard are boosted with another rank. With Enchanted Blades on them, they are formidable. Pguard attacks are now magical. 14 Swordmasters join the ranks and the BoSwiftness, can get stuck in faster than usual. They are still fragile, and White Lions are still better, but they hit very very hard. Enchanted Blades on these guys is just plain unfair. They will try and remain in range to have buffs cast on them too. A Giant Eagle provides a bit of frenzied redirection, and harrying march-blocking.

3000pts.

LORD: Archmage (Life) - Level 4, Silver Wand, ToPreservation - 315

HERO: Mage (Metal) - Level 2, Seerstaff of Saphery, Gem of Courage - 175

CORE: 40 Lothern Sea Guard - Full Command, Shields, BoEternal Flame - 555

SPECIAL: 19 Phoenix Guard - Full Command, AoLight, Razor Standard - 375

SPECIAL: 10 Dragon Princes - Full Command, BoEllyrion - 365

SPECIAL: 14 Swordmasters - Full Command, Skeinsliver, BoSwiftness - 280

SPECIAL: 14 White Lions - Full Command, BoSorcery - 290

RARE: Giant Eagle

TOTAL - 2999pts.

Ok, so we're onto the REAL list now. Another 10 LSG makes that unit a formidable centre anchor. The other addition is the big unit of 10 Dragon Princes. For 365pts, they are rather cheap in comparison with other cavalry, and haven't been nerfed as much as others have. They still hit hard and first, with the re-rolls making them exceptional. Lore of Life Regrowth spell is an incredible force multiplier and will be targeting these guys first to make sure they break flanks.

So, long post, whaddaya think?

Q