PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen: What do you think about Chakax?

TheDireAvenger
06-07-2010, 15:14
I was thinking of fielding a Chakax led Temple Guard unit with a Slann but I only recently got in WHFB and still waiting for 8th Edition to actually play a real game.

What are your opinions of Chakax, I know most Lizardmen players go for the Carnesour guy but he's been nerfed as of 8th edition I've read.

Does the 8th edition affect Chakax in any way? Have Temple Guards been affected? Is he a solid choice and what is the best way to field him?

venomx51
06-07-2010, 15:41
The main problem I have with Chakax is his cost (esp. after you've brought the Slann and Temple Guard). Yeah, he can be great in a challenge, but outside of a challenge he doesn't get his ward save. 2 wounds with only a 4+ save he can be quite fragile

For the same price you can get 2 Scar-vets (Yes, 2, on cold ones if you like) with Great Weapons, with much better Armour and Ward saves (check out the new magic items). If the Slann, or TG unit takes the banner of re-rolling To Hit, that's that ability matched...

However, I love the model and always field him as a Scar-vet on foot with Great Weapon.

N810
06-07-2010, 15:41
Well I heard a disapointing rumor about the Lizardmen FAQ that Chakax might not allways go first any more...
He usualy only gets played in larger games because he's so cost so many points.

If you like the model, buy him, if it turns out that hes not so great anymore,
just use him as an old blood or a scar vet.

Spiney Norman
06-07-2010, 16:09
I think Chakax makes an excellent Scar-Vet-with-great-weapon model

If you're meaning his rules, he's like every other LM special character in the 7th Ed book, catastrophically over costed

Kugruk
06-07-2010, 17:42
I was thinking of fielding a Chakax led Temple Guard unit with a Slann but I only recently got in WHFB and still waiting for 8th Edition to actually play a real game.

What are your opinions of Chakax, I know most Lizardmen players go for the Carnesour guy but he's been nerfed as of 8th edition I've read.

Does the 8th edition affect Chakax in any way? Have Temple Guards been affected? Is he a solid choice and what is the best way to field him?

I've used him a couple times, and to be honest I wasn't really impressed. The model is amazing however. He just costs an absurd amount to ever justify actually using him unless im playing at a point value that I clearly can not make with the models I posses (which would have to be a pretty high number, especially for lizards :P)

His fluff is amazing, and I am very very sad that I'm not able to field him as Chakax more often. But him for 360ish (i think?) points + 450ish slann + 380ish points of temple guard just cost way too much. A single unit over 1k points is ridiculous.

TheDireAvenger
06-07-2010, 19:47
Ah darn,

How useful are the Scar-Veterans? Do you guys usually included 1 in your Saurus blocks?

Kugruk
06-07-2010, 19:52
Ah darn,

How useful are the Scar-Veterans? Do you guys usually included 1 in your Saurus blocks?

Scar Veterans have to be some of the most amazing combat heroes I've seen. They're tough as nails, and relatively killy. They may not have a bucket of attacks (which will probably change when people start using some of the new BRB magic items with them) to score some overkill CR with, but they can be tooled to be almost indestructible and are still pretty vicious. Any heroe (maybe even some lords!) would be hardpressed to kill one in a challenge.

N810
06-07-2010, 19:58
So far...
I have allways fielded at least one. :D

madden
06-07-2010, 20:40
I run 2 scar vets and 2 skink priests no slaan at all they are awesome in combat and can be tooled to a certain job if you like but I never leave home without one or two.

Kirasu
06-07-2010, 20:50
I run one scar vet with 2h weapon + new common magic item that is a 5+ save and 4+ ward save.. if I run a second then I use another on a cold one with a great weapon and the 4+ ward save talisman

Chakax is in no way worth 315 pts.. its absurd that he costs so much for what little he actually does

Vsurma
06-07-2010, 21:46
Scar vets a fairly good as is, with common items you can get decent combos.
4 S7 attacks, 4+ save with GW.
4 S5 attacks. 2+ save with enchanted shield.
Spending an extra 10pts to make the attacks magical is a decent idea, venom of firefly frog or a cheap sword.

There are great items to be had for sure but when you consider the cost it seems somewhat pointless to start taking huge defensive items. The heavy armour & 4+ ward is a great item, for a lord. Spending 50pts on the defence of a 100pts scar vet? I am not convinced.

I rather take 3 scar vets over 2 with magic items.

Now as to whether scar vets are good or not, I am been thinking this myself. When compared to other heroes they do fairly well for their cost, they are relatively cheap and hit as hard as many lords, for under 100pts.

However in this new age of infantry actually getting to strike I am not convinced 4 S5/7 is even worth paying that much for. 100pts also buys you a unit of 9 saurus. (16 S4 attacks going 7 wide)

Now normally characters do more than just kill things, most characters provide an increase to ld, but not so for scar vets in saurus units.

They also allow you to concentrate a greater force in a smaller area which is still true.

Another similar costing unit to the scar vet is a unit of skrox, 11+krox is only 110pts.

So far I have skipped using scar vets all together, the old cold one riding scar vets were crazy with their 0+ saves but since you can no longer safely put such a model in an infantry block they are out. Being on foot is where it's at in this edition.

You do need something that can attack with magic attacks in case you run into wraiths, ethereal slanns, black couch etc though. I haven't yet decided on how to take care of that need.

Chakax is ridiculously priced as are all the lizardmen heroes, shame really. (160pts for a skink anyone?) no point in taking it in competetive lists.

venomx51
19-07-2010, 15:23
I'm loving the Crown of Command on my Scar-vet atm. Mounted, you get a T5, S5, Steadfast model (Ld 8 Cold blooded) with a 1+ Armour Save. He can hold against an entire enemy unit for a very long time...

Your Mum Rang
19-07-2010, 19:50
You do need something that can attack with magic attacks in case you run into wraiths, ethereal slanns, black couch etc though. I haven't yet decided on how to take care of that need.

How about the magical fire attacks banner on TG?

diggerydoom
19-07-2010, 23:53
It does not give them magical attacks-only fire ones

Dokushin
20-07-2010, 00:06
Chakax is rather like most of our SCs -- too expensive for what they provide, and best used only in extremely large battles or for 'fluff' reasons.

The points into Chakax could buy you:

- A 3x2 unit of Kroxigor
- A unit of 24 Saurus with spears with full command
- A Slann Mage Priest with two disciplines
- 11 Terradons
- 4 Salamanders with extra handlers
- A unit of 30 skinks + 3 kroxigor with full command
- 2 fully decked-out Scar Vets
- 3 moderately equipped Scar Vets
- A boatload of Skink Chiefs
- 20 more Temple Guard

He just doesn't bring that much. Note nowadays he grants ASL to the attacker in a duel, so what happens is they strike simultaneously. He also gets a 5+ ward in the challenge, disallows scouts within 20", and is immune to magical weapon effects. Those are all good abilities, but they come at a really steep price (you're paying a 200 point premium for them).

Really for most purposes a Scar Vet with armor of destiny and a great weapon will sort most problems. The unbreakable doesn't matter as the Temple Guard simply won't break. The 5+ ward only works in challenges and is unreliable. Simultaneous ASL only matters if they kill Chakax and if they kill him you're out near 400 points anyway. 20" no scouting is nice-ish to cover the front but the flanks and the back should be covered by your other units. Magical weapons become mundane is really nice, and about the only reason I'd consider taking him, but with step-up the danger of the really beastly weapons is mitigated and you're going to get 7-10 S5 attacks at the character anyway.

Uh, in summary :D, leave him at home below 6k, barring fluff.