PDA

View Full Version : Chariots in 8th, did they get better enough?

blackjack
06-07-2010, 15:20
Was drooling over the idea of an all chariot beast men army. (11 tuskagor chariots, 3 rasorgor chariots, 3 razor gor chariots with characters, = 2250pts)

But the viability of chariots in 8th is the question.

Pros

Cannons and str 7 no longer instantly kill chariots. This is a major improvment.

Cons

Chariots still can not march, making a chariot army one of the slowest armies in the game.

Chariots suffer damage when moving through terrain on a 1 in 6. This is major as there is now twice as much terrain on the board. Chariots will have to cross terrain often in 8th.

Chariots must deploy 1 inch apart, large chariot armies will have real problems with deployment width.

Chariots do not get ranks, can not break ranks on the flank.

Looks like the cons far out number the pros. What is your opinion?

decker_cky
06-07-2010, 16:12
All chariots became much worse since they'll always be charging into stubborn units. Some chariots became much better. Chariots + deep ranked ungors = win.

rtunian
06-07-2010, 17:04
chariots will not be able to overwhelm anything but very small units on their own. since chariots have 0 ranks, any unit with 1 or more ranks will be stubborn against a chariot assault. in prolonged combats, the non-charging chariots lose to scr. also, removing casualties from the back means you will almost always face return attacks.

in 8th i see chariots relegated to a pure support role.

willowdark
06-07-2010, 17:10
Well, I haven't thought of chariots as anything but support for a long time. Small frontage and impact hits means they'll support infantry well in frontal assaults, especially if the infantry holds the enemy for one turn and the chariot combines with cav or a monster to the flank.

All in all, the only difference my Cold One Chariot will feel is the lack of auto-kill in 8th. I'd say that's a net gain.

I never thought that an all Chariot army was a good build, but the buffs to infantry in 8th makes it even worse.

BattleofLund
07-07-2010, 00:47
If I faced a pure-Chariot army... well with terrain congesting their avenues of advance, cavalry countering some and infantry soaking up a dual-charge here or there, I might be able to hold them. One-tactic armies are not good, when even I can figure out a plan against them (didn't say it was a surefire or even workable plan, but anyway...).

Mix it up.

SilasOfTheLambs
07-07-2010, 00:50
Are you sure chariots can't march? I looked for this but didn't see it. please provide page reference?

blackjack
07-07-2010, 03:38
I am not sure they can not march, I was told that in 8th they could not.

Oberon
07-07-2010, 03:44
No, chariot cannot march. It is kind of hidden in there, in the end of paragraph "split profile". Page 86. Chariots are still great at winning a combat, but you need a unit to provide ranks to break them. I didn't use chariots much with woc in 7ed, and I won't in 8ed either. :(

Maoriboy007
07-07-2010, 03:49
Single chariots being able to singlehandedly destroy units was stuipid anyway.
They still have thier old function of charge-hurt-flee-rally-repeat , and are , as stated, still a good support unit.

TheSanityAssassin
07-07-2010, 03:49
I have been taking dual lion chariots in my High Elf army through 7th, and have found there are few better linebreakers. This will not continue in 8th, as winning by a dozen won't matter so long as there's even a single rank of enemy troops left, plus my T4 chariots are much more vulnerable to return attacks.

At this point I think mine are getting shelved for an extra couple ranks of Phoenix Guard.

Maoriboy007
07-07-2010, 04:56
On the bright sideChariots are just as effective against undead as they were in 7th.

undeadcatd
07-07-2010, 05:17
do chariot get Thunderstomp?

if they get , chariots better than ever..

Oberon
07-07-2010, 05:18
No Stomp being the last title in the chariot rules, so I say no.

Timofeo
07-07-2010, 05:25
Running a pretty much all Chariot High Elf list (yes I relize they cant all be chariots which is why I said pretty much)
I have found the list to be defintly weaker in combat res due to the steadfast rules, however I feel that at the same time I feel I havent been losing my chariots because they didnt break since in the next rounds I feel the basic Infantry werent to threating to my chariots (not to say they wont be but just the few games I played I feel with intiative order I was able to kill enough to minimize my sides damage)

But BattleofLund said it best One Tactic armies are a bad Idea (and yes I play one, cause it looks BA)

Are Chariots better or Worse
My Verdict: NIETHER

gork or maybe mork
07-07-2010, 19:24
Chariots are both better and worse, though their role is different now. In 7th, a couple of them could break most units, but with the new stubborn rules, that is no longer possible. What chariots are very good at, however, is countercharging. In my gobbo army, for example, if my huge units are charged and lose combat, then they are stubborn and 2 or 3 of my chariots can countercharge, win the combat, and then hopefully run the enemy down (as they are not stubborn due to the goblins' huge number of ranks).

King_Pash
07-07-2010, 22:06
Well, after a test game of HE vs. O&G, I think the Lion chariot is much better. Firstly, there is less chance of it dying due to autokill, so it'll see combat much more often. Secondly, the White Lions are now S6 with their great weapons (plus possible rerolls depending on FAQ). Thirdly, fear is tested every turn and is actually at least as good if not better for the chariot than it was. All in all - I love it!

meowser
08-07-2010, 02:46
Overall worse, but definitely not useless.

(Dual) chariot charge a large block to the front, flank w 15+ infantry to break ranks

someone2040
08-07-2010, 06:18
Full Chariot army, you will have problems with the break point scenario in addition to the above. As you can't get any banners to increase your breakpoints, as soon as your General goes down you're toast (In fact, do you auto-lose games of 2k+ due to only have a general, i'm not sure).

Oberon
08-07-2010, 06:19
Well, take a BSB in a chariot too then you'll lose when either of them dies... Not really a winning consept is it :D

alphamale
08-07-2010, 10:41
with combat being resolved at I, and elven armies striking before anyone else, i see one big bonus for chariots, impact hits going before I attacks.

i dont have the rulebook but i believe impact hits > asf > I etc

feel free to correct me on the above

Desert Rain
08-07-2010, 10:55
I use a couple of Tiranoc Chariots in my HE army. They won't kill many units on their own, but they work great when you team them up with some infantry.

diggerydoom
08-07-2010, 12:28
Chariots, combined with another unit, can do the old trick of clipping though due to the maximising the number of models in contact rules. This can allow the impact hits and the crews attacks etc. to be delivered corner to corner rather than having to hit the middle of the opposing unit.