PDA

View Full Version : Ork Small Gods?

Hrw-Amen
06-07-2010, 18:10
Had a quick check in search and turned up nothing, but I did only look back about eight months. Hopefully I will be forgiven if it has already been covered.

So the question is, are there any lesser Ork gods? Quite simple, Gork & Mork, but any others, maybe Bork or Pork? If so who and what are they and how are they different?

I am asking the question mainly with a view to naming a couple of stompas I am making. I wanted to steer away from the names like 'Mork's Hammer' or 'Gork's Fist' and so on.

Obviously I can make something up if I need to, but wanted to check if there were any first.

Zothos
06-07-2010, 18:14
I believe the fluff only refers to Gork and Mork. I have been playing and collecting since 1988 and i cannot recall ever seeing fluff mention another besides those 2 for Orks.

Iuris
06-07-2010, 18:23
I can't remember ever hearing of anything else but Gork and Mork. The Once and future git, maybe?

Karl MkVI
06-07-2010, 19:28
Sauron. wait, no; Saruman. hang on...

stainawarjar
06-07-2010, 19:47
Had a quick check in search and turned up nothing, but I did only look back about eight months. Hopefully I will be forgiven if it has already been covered.

So the question is, are there any lesser Ork gods? Quite simple, Gork & Mork, but any others, maybe Bork or Pork? If so who and what are they and how are they different?

I am asking the question mainly with a view to naming a couple of stompas I am making. I wanted to steer away from the names like 'Mork's Hammer' or 'Gork's Fist' and so on.

Obviously I can make something up if I need to, but wanted to check if there were any first.

I don't think naming your stompa Pork would instill much fear...

Random semi-related linkie: http://img.filmfront.no/pictures/release/large/1119707307_stompa_selvfolgelig.jpg

Green-is-best
06-07-2010, 20:01
Yeah, the Orks only have the two gods, because, well Orks only really think about fighting and maybe getting money to buy better stuff to fight with. Mork is the god of brutal cunning and Gork is the god of cunning brutality. Or maybe its the reverse. Even the Orks aren't quite sure.

The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn? And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

That pretty much sums up why there are only Mork and Gork.

negZero
06-07-2010, 20:05
All the small ork gods died from the bigger ones

SeaSwift
06-07-2010, 20:14
There are only 2 Ork gods: Mork and Gork... and Dork. That's right, Orks can only count up to 2. Don't get excited.

warpoet
06-07-2010, 21:38
Don't forget Bjork.

Now she's scary.

spetswalshe
06-07-2010, 21:41
Orks aren't known for sticking to one thing. If a Stompa was originally named Fist of Mork, I bet some sneaky mek would change it, so it ended up with this spray-painted on the side;

Fist of Mork
Gork
Mork
Gork
Mork
Gork
Mork

until some kunnin' warboss changed it to

Fist of Mork

Askil the Undecided
07-07-2010, 08:05
Why not just call the stompas orky names rather than human ones with Gork or Mork at the end?

Just quickly using the Ork glyphs section at the back of the Gorkamorka book

Here are some examples:

Grodgubbins - Favorite Bitz

Dreggog - Smash god

Gof Guldur Og (name) - Spiky death fortress of

RukkNar og (name) - Battle Boss of (name)

AndrewGPaul
07-07-2010, 11:39
Why not just call the stompas orky names rather than human ones with Gork or Mork at the end?

I would have thought that it's implicit that any name is 'actually' in Orkish rather than Low Gothic. It's more evocative than a random string of syllables. Same reason why Aspect Warriors are "Striking Scorpions", "Howling Banshees", etc, rather than some made-up words.

Malice313
07-07-2010, 11:45
I've never really seen contemplative existentialism as an Orks strong point.

Decius
07-07-2010, 16:17
Fist of ____ and Hammer of ____ do seem too bland and... "Imperial" for an Ork army. A stompa needs a crazy, wacky name like "Mekboss Mortak Metaltek's Klanktraptious Kontraption of Big Bastion Boomblastisizing". Or maybe that's just me.

Hrw-Amen
07-07-2010, 19:05
I guess I'll just make something up then using the glyths system, unless something suitably Orkish comes to mind over the next few days

Sandlemad
07-07-2010, 23:02
If you search warseer, you'll see little references to a god called Bork. Doesn't really seem to be mentioned anymore but iirc he was some sort of squig god. So probably not much use for a gargant-mek.

What'd be ideal would be some sort of random name generator. 'Krush', 'Blast', 'Stomp' and so on. If you look at some of the old 2nd ed Ork tanks in Epic ('Lungbursta', blimey...) you might be able to throw something together out of them.

Grubnar
08-07-2010, 08:20
Mork's Fist

And...

Mork's other Fist

:evilgrin:

I am sure I read something, somewhere about the third ork god, Bork! He was the weakest of the ork gods so Gork and Mork ganged up on him and drove him away or killed him. Such is the way of the orkz.

Dakkagor
08-07-2010, 15:09
All the small ork gods died from the bigger ones

Damn straight!

I've started naming my stompas after German Warships. The names, suitable mangled, are awesome.

Derfflinger = deff-flinga
Goeben = Go-Burn (claw stompa with those big flamethrowers)
Seydlitz = Gun-blitz

I've also built a huge ork aircraft carrier/super tank, called the Victorkius ofcourse :p

I have a love of bad puns.

Ork X
08-07-2010, 20:48
If you search warseer, you'll see little references to a god called Bork.

this is familiar.....i dont remember where it was written first, but i do remember bork....

hmmmm... ill look into it

the_gobbo_king
08-07-2010, 23:27
I remember hearing Bork somewhere...

He exists as evidenced by this. - Under "Religon" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ork_(Warhammer_40,000))

I can't find any specifics though. Remember that in White Dwarf (I think it was Jan 09) there was a campaign set on Bhork Prime, or Bork as the Orks called it.

Coincedence? Now nerdrage will occur as I suggest that Bork is in hibernation under Bhork Prime.

Joking. :p

Scott.

Born Again
09-07-2010, 07:19
I am sure I read something, somewhere about the third ork god, Bork! He was the weakest of the ork gods so Gork and Mork ganged up on him and drove him away or killed him. Such is the way of the orkz.

I'm glad you mentioned this, I thought I was going crazy. I remember this too.

metal bawks
12-07-2010, 12:24
I remember hearing Bork somewhere...

He exists as evidenced by this. - Under "Religon" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ork_(Warhammer_40,000))

I can't find any specifics though. Remember that in White Dwarf (I think it was Jan 09) there was a campaign set on Bhork Prime, or Bork as the Orks called it.

Coincedence? Now nerdrage will occur as I suggest that Bork is in hibernation under Bhork Prime.

Joking. :p

Scott.

I think Bork only appeared on the name of a magic item in an older edition of WH Fantasy. I think it was a banner or something like that. AFAIK, he never appeared in 40k.

Hrw-Amen
12-07-2010, 19:54
Yes, it was Bork I was thinking of but could find no reference to it/him. Even a quick search of the web brought up nothing but a few vague references of something people kind of remembered but were nto sure of?

If anyone has any more information on what and why and where Bork is then lets have it please.

Elanthanis
12-07-2010, 19:57
Seriously, what use would an Ork have for a Small God. Dem's fer 'ummies and eldars.

Hrw-Amen
13-07-2010, 12:50
Perhaps he would be like a Gretchin god and do the running about and generally get blamed for things by Gork and Mork?

Could it not be that maybe a background 'small' god, could be an ancient strand of memory relating to a god worshiped by the creators of the Orks. Especially if he was seen as a small one as he could easily be associated with Gretchin and other small Orkiods, if as mentioned in several places it was considered that in the past the Ork creators were intelligent Gretchin like or sized creatures. What do people think? Maybe it is hardwired into the genetic memory of an Ork, so that try and they may, they cannot quite forget him?

As a side issue I am considering calling my own Ork 'small' god, Cork, simply because my cat is named Corky and well, that is the kind of thing that humans do. I have to come up with some background fluff though,no idea about that yet.

the_gobbo_king
14-07-2010, 00:49
Perhaps he would be like a Gretchin god and do the running about and generally get blamed for things by Gork and Mork?

Could it not be that maybe a background 'small' god, could be an ancient strand of memory relating to a god worshiped by the creators of the Orks. Especially if he was seen as a small one as he could easily be associated with Gretchin and other small Orkiods, if as mentioned in several places it was considered that in the past the Ork creators were intelligent Gretchin like or sized creatures. What do people think? Maybe it is hardwired into the genetic memory of an Ork, so that try and they may, they cannot quite forget him?

As a side issue I am considering calling my own Ork 'small' god, Cork, simply because my cat is named Corky and well, that is the kind of thing that humans do. I have to come up with some background fluff though,no idea about that yet.

I would go for Kork, as K is used in place of C in Ork kulture. (See what I did there... lame I know...)

Scott.

metal bawks
14-07-2010, 09:35
I googled a bit and found mentions of 2 magic items for WH Fanatasy: Bashing Flag of Bork and Sword of Bork. Both seem to help stop animosity.
Hm... not hard to see why he was dropped - a god who stops animosity sounds rather un-Orky to me.

Hrw-Amen
15-07-2010, 14:46
Have to admit the 'K' for Kork sounds more Orky than Cork.

Sounds pretty much like Bork was a bit feeble for an Ork god, maybe more reason to think he was some sort of ancestor god of the Orks creators?

Szafraniec
15-07-2010, 14:50
Id say the only real 'small' ork gods would just be their collective remembrances of the Brain Boyz. Most of them remember that they existed, that they were smart, and helped out ork kulture, then died off.

The idea of a 'small god' would be completely alien.