PDA

View Full Version : Question on Horde-formation

SchultzChaos
06-07-2010, 18:38
Hello! Didn't find any thread for this, so I'm going for one.

With the new horde-formation many have jumped on the train heading for large-units-of-10*x, and I'm wondering if it's really worth it? The reason why I'm asking is that I can't decide what to do with my Marauders in my WoC-army. Why I doubt the formation is that the regiment's unit-base will be enormous and I can't in my mind's eye imagine too many situations when you'll be using "all of those attacks" that is circling around the whole idea.

Or is it that the formation have some rules that back the "a lot of attacks" up, and doesn't clearly mean that all the models in the horde-unit have to be base-to-base?

Cheers

/ Schultz

shartmatau
06-07-2010, 18:44
yes a lot of people are jumping to conclusions that horde is the new sliced bread. it's nice but its not the be all end all. Horde units get an additional rank of attacks in. So you normal unit is now first rank attack, second rank attack. Horde allows third rank attack. Spears also allow another rank attack.

BUT... you still need base contact. So your 10 wide unit unless its facing multiple units or another wide unit in combat is NOT getting all 10 across in base contact. Which is why knights can still win combats. The horde unit will probably get steadfast because its big but I'd rather win combat than lose being stubborn.

Mr_Rose
06-07-2010, 18:47
This should probably go in the tactics section rather than Rules, but: Horde formation is really designed for things that work best in, well, hordes; low-point, mass units like Goblins and skavenslaves, where they need that extra ranks worth of attacks and can be bought in sufficient numbers (and can have spears too) to make it work without crippling the rest of your army. It also works for Zombies too, since they're so easy to summon.

Marauders are just on the border between cost-effectiveness and "this would probably do better as two 5x5 units" though an acquaintance of mine is already building horde-wide formations of Warriors of Khorne.

Kugruk
06-07-2010, 19:03
This should probably go in the tactics section rather than Rules, but: Horde formation is really designed for things that work best in, well, hordes; low-point, mass units like Goblins and skavenslaves, where they need that extra ranks worth of attacks and can be bought in sufficient numbers (and can have spears too) to make it work without crippling the rest of your army. It also works for Zombies too, since they're so easy to summon.

Marauders are just on the border between cost-effectiveness and "this would probably do better as two 5x5 units" though an acquaintance of mine is already building horde-wide formations of Warriors of Khorne.

If I interpret the rules correctly, the horde wont even be steadfast in combat with multiple enemy units. Since Combat Resolution is typically done by sides, and not unit to unit. If one side has 2 units with max ranks and their side only has the horde, unless the horde has 9 ranks... it wont even be steadfast lol.

Atrahasis
06-07-2010, 19:12
Steadfast is calculated against the unit with the highest number of ranks that a particular unit is fighting.

ie If a unit is fighting against a unit with 3 ranks, it needs 4 to be steadfast. If it is fighting 2 units with 3 ranks, it needs 4 to be steadfast.

Kugruk
06-07-2010, 19:55
Steadfast is calculated against the unit with the highest number of ranks that a particular unit is fighting.

ie If a unit is fighting against a unit with 3 ranks, it needs 4 to be steadfast. If it is fighting 2 units with 3 ranks, it needs 4 to be steadfast.

Yeah I reread what I typed afterward and it didn't quite sound right lol.