PDA

View Full Version : arcane item limit still the same?

kiron
06-07-2010, 20:44
I'm flipping through the rumours and i was wondering are wizards limited to still 1 arcane item in the new book? Also, are they allowed to take other arcane plus dispel scrolls or power stones or do each take up the arcane slot (in 7th ed. u can have both and another arcane item). Just would like some clarifications, because if they do count, i may forget taking 1 lvl 4 wizard and take 2 lvl 2s.

Also, I heard wizards get to choose spells, but can't be duplicated except basic ones, is that true?

Falkman
06-07-2010, 21:45
Still limited to one arcane item, and scrolls are now one per army just as every other magic item, and you can no longer combine them with other arcane items on the same wizard.

Korraz
06-07-2010, 21:50
Spells are rolled for. Each spell can only rolled(!) once.
Example:
You have a Grey Prophet(l4) and a warlock(l2)
You roll for the Warlock: 1 and 4
You roll for the Prophet: 1,2,3,4. You have to reroll 1 and 4. 2,3,5,6. Now you can swap one spell for 1, because this is the "basic" spell for the prophet. The rulebook lores all have a 7th basic spell you can swap into.

Falkman
06-07-2010, 21:59
You have to reroll 1 and 4.
Not correct. If you roll a duplicate you get to choose which spell to get instead.

fall3nang3l
06-07-2010, 22:00
Spells are rolled for. Each spell can only rolled(!) once.
Example:
You have a Grey Prophet(l4) and a warlock(l2)
You roll for the Warlock: 1 and 4
You roll for the Prophet: 1,2,3,4. You have to reroll 1 and 4. 2,3,5,6. Now you can swap one spell for 1, because this is the "basic" spell for the prophet. The rulebook lores all have a 7th basic spell you can swap into.

actually the interpretation I got from reading the book was different.

you roll for the warlock: 1 & 4
then you roll for the prophet: 1,2,3,4

since you already have 4 (1 is a basic spell which can be duplicated so you don't replace it) you get to Choose what other spell to replace 4 with. So you could select 5 or 6 and have the prophet with spells 1,2,3,5or6 Thats what I remember reading, please correct me if I am wrong.

Korraz
07-07-2010, 19:02
You are both right. Somehow I overlooked that part. You really shouldn't assume stuff like that:D

jthdotcom
07-07-2010, 20:38
you can not replace a spell with number one, there are now 6 spells to be rolled for, none of which can be duplicated, or there is the SIGNATURE spell, which isn't rolled for but can always be chosen instead of a rolled for spell, and duplicated, if you roll for a spell that has already been rolled for, you get to choose its replacement for an unused spell from the same lore

Korraz
07-07-2010, 20:42
That's what we said. Basic or Signature spell. Except for lores that don't have these. There is the basic spell determined otherwise, like Skitterleap or 13th for Prophets and Warp Lightnung for Warlocks.

Vsurma
07-07-2010, 20:43
So do we have to choose if we are taking the signature spell before rolling for the other spells?

With a lv4, do I roll 4 dice then change 1 for the signature spell or do I take that first then roll 3 dice?

Falkman
07-07-2010, 20:54
You roll first, then check if you rolled doubles, in that case pick new spells as instructed, after that you decide if you want to swap any of your spells for the signature spell.

Dokushin
07-07-2010, 20:54
So do we have to choose if we are taking the signature spell before rolling for the other spells?

With a lv4, do I roll 4 dice then change 1 for the signature spell or do I take that first then roll 3 dice?

You choose to 'swap' for the signature spell after rolling.

Edit: beaten to the punch with a superior explanation -- my defeat is consummate.

Tae
07-07-2010, 21:11
Also, do you have to roll them in Wizard Level order (highest to lowest) - e.g. in the above example the Grey Seer rolls first, with the Warlock Engineer rolling second?

I read it somewhere but can't remember if it was on here or in the BRB.

Alltaken
07-07-2010, 23:32
That's what we said. Basic or Signature spell. Except for lores that don't have these. There is the basic spell determined otherwise, like Skitterleap or 13th for Prophets and Warp Lightnung for Warlocks.

Wait, so you're telling me the dreaded 13th spell is the basic? If I'm not terribly wrong u can pull 3 or 4 level 1 mages, run then alone and try to cast it with a bunch of dice, or am I terribly wrong?

EDMM
07-07-2010, 23:48
No.
The rule on page 490 says:

Ordinarily each spell can only be known once in the same army. The only exceptions are where a spell is not generated randomly such as:
If the army book or spell lore clearly states that a model can exchange another spell for the spell in question.

Warlocks can exchange any spell for Warp Lightning.
Grey Seers can exchange any spell for Skitter Leap or the Dreaded 13th Spell.
Plague Priests can exchange any spell for Pestilent Breath.

Any number of Skaven wizards may have Warp Lightning, the 13th Spell or Pestilent Breath because a model can exchange another spell for the spells in question. But you can only do so when the spell is not generated randomly - when you switch for it.

R-Love
08-07-2010, 01:42
Wait, so you're telling me the dreaded 13th spell is the basic? If I'm not terribly wrong u can pull 3 or 4 level 1 mages, run then alone and try to cast it with a bunch of dice, or am I terribly wrong?

Only Grey Seers and Verminlords can have the Dreaded 13th Spell

Alltaken
08-07-2010, 23:34
How Many gray seers on a 2.000 point game?

decker_cky
08-07-2010, 23:55
2....but with only 20 extra points to spare.