PDA

View Full Version : Magnus the Red (first try NMM)

Mojaco
06-07-2010, 22:30
Not sure if this is a log, since it'll just be one model... But it isn't finished, so there's something to log :)

I made this for my Thousand Sons army, fuelled by the short 1K Sons vs Space Wolves campaign a few white dwarves back, but stopped once the sculpt was done. A painting competition this saturday gave me a nice reason to start painting it.

Here it is;
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/Pinkreaper/Magnus-the-Red-WIP.jpg

I based him on the sketch of John Blanche from Visions of Heresy. He's holding a scythe like weapon in his left hand, but since it's just basecoat I left it out of the picture. Once finished I'll have some scale shots, as I'm quite happy with his size. Bigger than any marine but not stupid big.

Not sure which rules to use though. The most obvious choice would be Mephiston, as he has primarch stats and is an above average sorceror. However, his selection of powers are so close combat orientated that the playstyle doesn't match Magnus' imagery. In addition, no solid invunerable save is un-Thousand Sons. The best selection of powers and special rules can be found on that special SW Runepriest character, the best psyker in the game, but they come on a far weaker platform. Fateweaver finally has the advantage of primarch-like stats, unstopable powers and some nice special rules (even fleeing is kinda cool given his history), but he has those stupid daemon deployment rules. Which to pick? Or just add mephiston stats to SW runedude's rules, slap 400 pts on him and use him for Apocalypse?

Wishing
07-07-2010, 00:11
Very cool looking model, he looks very well done!

With regards to rules, I personally don't really think it's appropriate to take a model that's supposed to be a primarch and just using it as a counts-as model for some special character - seems like that would cheapen the whole concept a bit. I'd suggest writing your own set of rules for what you think a primarch should be like, and then using him for specific pre-agreed scenarios, against other primarchs for example.

mallymoocow
07-07-2010, 00:39
Very nice indeed very like the artwork

Good work

Nehemiah
07-07-2010, 02:20
Nice paint job, but something looks a little off...

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/9/29/56051_md-Daemon%20Prince,%20Epic,%20Magnus%20The%20Red,%20P rimarch.jpg

ArchHeretic
07-07-2010, 03:12
I think it needs a little more of a contrast. Not enough dark areas. Looks great.

Mojaco
07-07-2010, 16:04
Nice paint job, but something looks a little off...

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/9/29/56051_md-Daemon%20Prince,%20Epic,%20Magnus%20The%20Red,%20P rimarch.jpg
Argh, I've never seen that atrocity. Gawd.

More contrast? Might be the picture, it's pretty dark in places. I might touch up some of the black though.

Raven1
07-07-2010, 18:53
I like it. The model is painted very well. I like the NMM very good for a first try

Nehemiah
08-07-2010, 01:54

More contrast? Might be the picture, it's pretty dark in places. I might touch up some of the black though.

That is the Magnus from Epic, (I think they have some of the others as well). Back when he was a cyclops not a pirate. Something about changing that bit of fluff will never sit well with me. It is like if Sanguinius did not have wings.

On the topic of the paint job I would not change the contrast until the rest of the model is painted. It is hard to tell what could come out to dark or light at this point.
I also like it wit lest contrast as it is in the picture. When there is too much contrast I think it starts looking a little to much like a cartoon.

terribletrygon
08-07-2010, 02:11

I have, yet every time I see it I am still taken back by how hideous it is. Thank God he was revamped. His current incarnation trumps that gorilla a hundred-fold.

Anyways, I like where you are taking this. Though wouldn't Demon Primarch Magnus have wings?

Mojaco
08-07-2010, 23:08
I like his human form better than any daemon prince. I like to envision him like this, even in year 40k. Who knows, maybe he can adjust his shape.

terribletrygon
08-07-2010, 23:35
Well, to be honest...

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/9/9b/Magnusthered2.jpg/400px-Magnusthered2.jpg

He looks nearly the same but with wings.

King Fluff
09-07-2010, 16:01
excellent sculpt - really nice and dynamic pose :D