PDA

View Full Version : The humble IG lasgun: What's the biggest thing you've killed?

TheDireAvenger
07-07-2010, 02:48
Range 24" low S it's really at the lower end of weaponry in the 40k universe if not the LOWEST. (ok, maybe Eldar Guardian catapults suck worse)

Yet the humble guardsmen in a squad of 50 with some help from FIRST RANK FIRE SECOND RANK... THIRD RANK FIRE... could maybe just maybe potentially even hurt something.

What's the biggest thing you've ever killed with the lasgun? :)

tacoo
07-07-2010, 02:53
Bet someone says great unclean one near fateweaver.....

Mannimarco
07-07-2010, 03:24
2 space marine bikes

Greatest moment in gaming history, this was back in last edition of the game, I was playing the standard guard gunline. A unit of bikes turbo boost right across the board and ended up just in fron of mu line (small table) and having played this guy before I knew there was a teleport homer for a killer unit of termys. Half my army fired on the bikes and managed to kill 2 of them (ther termys still came down and slaughtered their way through my line for the next few turns though).

I know its not the ultra dramatic "I killed abaddon and 10 chaos terminators then killed typhus and a bunch of plague marines" but it was still a great moment so was seeing the guys face as he packed his bikes away.

noobzilla
07-07-2010, 03:29
Had a single unit of 10 (TEN thats right) with a Sergeant and Flamer wipe out a 7 strong Seer Council with wound allocation goodness and Fortune down to the seer and a Warlock, who promptly ran away. Needless to say, Prince Yriel was all over that squad next turn after I watched my opponent just laugh himself into tears at how much fail just occurred.

Out of 15 Las gun shots, 7 hits, and 2 Flamer hits. 9 Wounds. Thats right folks. 9 Wounds on a 4+. Almost every seer failed his save. :) Glorious it was for the Emperor!

Olja
07-07-2010, 03:42
I had a squad kill a Bloodthirster back in 3rd Ed. :) Of course, that was after the demon wiped out two Lemun Russ tanks and three chimeras. :(

cuda1179
07-07-2010, 04:35
I took the last two wounds off of a Carnifex that was about to charge a squad of Ogryn (currently ripping up warriors).

Col. Custard
07-07-2010, 04:51
I had my gunline happen to kill off a squad of nob bikers Had all 50 in one squad. Issued FRF/SRF as I fired off all 5 ML/GL and doubletapped all lasguns (he was just within 12", he killed my forward sentries vets and failed on consolidation. 6 bikers started (had senior officer order Fire on my Target to the 2 Autocannon squads which managed to kill off 4 of them). Killed 3 with missiles, wounded the other 3 with krak grenades, and killed them off with the lasgun volley. That move won me the game surprisingly. Hooray all footslogger army!

massey
07-07-2010, 04:57
I lost 5 terminators to a squad of 10 guardsmen firing lasguns. I may have had a character with them who died as well. You play enough games, you'll roll a lot of 1s.

Firmlog
07-07-2010, 05:07
I killed a chaos warlord titan with one guardsman with a lasgun.

TheDireAvenger
07-07-2010, 05:15
I killed a chaos warlord titan with one guardsman with a lasgun.

:eyebrows:

Reflex
07-07-2010, 05:19
biggest thing? i think terminators top it for me. but if this thread were about biggest moment?

i was playing a kill points mission, all i had left on the table was a special weapons squad. the demo charge had been used, the flamers were out of range, but that one space marine 10 inches away on my last turn (then he had a turn left) on turn 7 of the game meant only 1 thing. the 6 las gun shots had to kill it. other wise it was a 14 kill point difference loss to me.

6 rolls... 1 hit.

1 wound...

omg, please fail! please please please!

failed! woo

and reflex takes out 1st prize winning a whopping $500 voucher for the LGS.

that for me, proved nothing more then the greatest moment in lasgun history.

lethlis
07-07-2010, 05:22
My guardsmen record is a single remaining vox caster trooper rapid firing a squad of terminators, killing one. He then became the target of a entire unit of havocs due to failed target priority. Survived but was cut down by the remaining terminators in close combat.

Do not underestimate the power of lasguns. I killed an entire command squad and put a wound on vulkan with 30 of them.

Adjustquantity
07-07-2010, 05:25
I don't play guard but when I was playing Eldar I was rolling with a farseer and an Avatar. I thought I had charge range to this a couple of vehicles but just in case I didn't I put fortune on my Avatar. I managed to pass my saves for the big shots, lascannons, main cannon and a couple of autocannons from various sources and then up step 13 or 14 guardsmen with First Rank Second Rank and I managed to fail all but 2 of my saving throws. It wasn't enough to keep the Avatar alive though.

Tethylis
07-07-2010, 05:34
Managed to bring down Mephiston with a 16 man volley of FRF/SRF a few weeks ago, it was a double match so he was doomed by Eldar at the time but still pretty impressive IMHO

totgeboren
07-07-2010, 06:02
My 30-man mob of conscripts once took down two wounds on a Carnifex. It had lost two wounds from earlier shooting, but the conscripts actually took it down. :)

That's big for me, since I have come to expect that they will have trouble dealing with termagaunts...

Alx_152
07-07-2010, 06:54
20 conscripts shooting down Logan Grimnir with FRFSRF.

Formerly Wu
07-07-2010, 07:07
One game, two Tyranid MCs. One was a Trygon, who took its last two wounds from humble infantry lasguns; the second, a Hive Tyrant that went down to a Stormtrooper's hotshot.

Chem-Dog
07-07-2010, 07:08
Just prior to the release of the Current IG codex, I managed to vape a CSM DP of Khorne (from new, none of this stripping off last couple of wounds malarkey)
With a single Squad of Guardsmen, Special and Heavy weapon missed....all down to rapid firing Lasguns...

Today I -ALMOST- pulled of something as spectacuar....
SM Captain + Command squad. Rapid Firing FRFSRF Lasguns (1 squad of Veterans) managed to inflict exactly 6 wounds forcing would allocation, every model in the squad except for the captain went down...there it would have been Epic....but oh no! FNP saved all but two.
The squad did end up falling back due to heinous Ld roll and continued running thanks to a nearby unit disallowing the auto regroup.

Gen.Steiner
07-07-2010, 07:25
In Close Combat:

Killing a Flyrant (4th Edition) that had assaulted a 10-strong squad of Guardsmen.

In Rapid Fire Range:

Zapping a whole squad of terminators led by a Chaplain before they could slaughter their way through anything.

At Long Range:

One Guardsman with lasrifle killing an injured Chaos Space Marine Lord over the course of two turns.

And, of course, there was the classic moment when an entire 1,000 point army of Guard failed to kill a single Terminator despite rapid-firing everything at the same unit. That's right, not a single wound, let alone a failed save. Worse. Rolling. Ever.

Lamoron
07-07-2010, 07:35
I have my "Star's of Terra" squad. They began life as bog standard no upgrades infantry squad. Then they faced a body/scythe Necron Lord, shot him up badly and took him down in melee when he charged.

Being impressed with them, I wrote some background for the squad. A couple of games later, they shot a Carnifex with two wounds remaining, and then bayonettet it's twin Carnifex when they got charged by it. (We decided on the spot, to remove that unit from play as well, as they would obviously be airlifted out immediatly for promotion and refitting).

Now I've made new models for them, updated the background, and they get to be Veterans. Most impressive Lasgun round ever though, goes to 40 guardsmen with FRFSRF taking down exactly 0 Space Marines, and needing 1 kill to get that bugger of my objective.

Hicks
07-07-2010, 08:01
If you mean killing by shooting... it would be a plague marine after 32735483745 zillion shots.

If hitting people in the head with the lasgun counts, a Dark Eldar lord on jetbike.

Radium
07-07-2010, 08:16
With shooting? A trygon prime.
In combat: Nurgle Terminator lord. In one round of fighting!

IcedAnimals
07-07-2010, 08:29
I have had a squad of 4 meltas and a sergeant fire at a single remaining terminator. The 4 meltas fail to kill him but the las pistol wounded and he failed his save.

DarkReaver
07-07-2010, 11:06
Avatar. 30 lasgun shots will kill something

Lamoron
07-07-2010, 11:12
Avatar. 30 lasgun shots will kill something Statisticly... no. :angel:

Eldoriath
07-07-2010, 11:59
20 shots at 20 guardians, 20 hits, 20 wounds, 20 failed saves.
That was awesome ^^

The SkaerKrow
07-07-2010, 12:48
I greatly enjoy your stories of the Lasgun (or as I call it, the Las "Gun") and hope to add my own glorious tally in the near future.

Malice313
07-07-2010, 13:33
Range 24" low S it's really at the lower end of weaponry in the 40k universe if not the LOWEST. (ok, maybe Eldar Guardian catapults suck worse)

Truly spoken like one who has not faced the wrath of a Grot Blaster at BS2

AFnord
07-07-2010, 13:49
If hitting people in the head with the lasgun counts, a Dark Eldar lord on jetbike.
One eldar autarch that charged two conscripts, only to be cut down by them... not my guardsmen (or autarch for that matter) though.

10 harlequins is the best that I've managed to kill with a lone (20man) grot unit. My 10man grot unit has also managed to kill an obliterator, and I've also seen them claw down a khorne berzerker in close combat.

Malice313
07-07-2010, 13:54
10 harlequins is the best that I've managed to kill with a lone (20man) grot unit. My 10man grot unit has also managed to kill an obliterator, and I've also seen them claw down a khorne berzerker in close combat.

Yeah, I've lost 2 Chaos Terminator to a charge of 20 Grots before.:eyebrows:

ColShaw
07-07-2010, 14:20
In 2nd Ed I killed 4 Deathwing Terminators with a single squad of Guardsmen (that was back when Termies had a 3+ save on 2d6!), but in fairness, only one of them fell to a Lasgun (the others died to a Krak Missile, a Meltagun, and the Sergeant's Bolt Pistol).

More recently, using FRF, a Combined Squad mowed down a Carnifex for me. That's about as big as they get, with still being able to wound at all.

AndrewGPaul
07-07-2010, 15:33
I was just about to post that, I finished off a Carnifex with a lasgun once.

Once, in a 2nd edition game, an Eldar War Walker with two scatter lasers attacked a Terminator. All 12 shots missed, failed to wound or were saved. For a laugh, we let the pilot fire his laspistol. That shot killed the Terminator.

Lord Castellan of Canadia
07-07-2010, 17:00
In the old Guard codex, I had a Junior Officer kill (read: take the last wound off of) a Nurgle Daemon Prince. Hitting on a 3, wounding on a 6. 3+ Save.

GLORIOUS

For the new Guard codex, Logan Grimnar (sans terminators) had one wound left, and was about to kill Creed, Kell, and an Astropath in CQC. They fire their pistols, and the Astropath misses, and Creed fails to wound. Kell on the other hand, hits, wounds, and my opponent fails his 2+ save.

So far, I have better luck with Laspistols.

MADJAP77
07-07-2010, 17:16
Points wise: a lone guardsman falling back killed Abbadon with 2 well placed las bolts.

Size wise: Avatar of Fail

wazatdingder
07-07-2010, 18:09

Is your grot BS lower than the rest of ours?

Ertle
07-07-2010, 18:41
I've had a Plasma CCS( Plasma pistol, three plasma guns, and a medic all with pace) shoot at a Tzeentch Sorcerer with one wound left. Every single plasma shot failed to wound. Then I remembered my medic still had a lasgun. Bye Bye last wound on the Sorcerer.

Yllib Enaz
07-07-2010, 18:56
A falling back unit of 8 surviving conscripts killing an avatar.

Nateal
07-07-2010, 19:02
After taking a break for a year and a half from my guard, i decided to run a fifty six man block of infantry in my corner. What do i have face me? Daemons of course

First turn, FRFSRF into Kugath, 5 wounds done, Bane wolf finished it off (he had luck with his deepstrike... but at the same time not

Second turn he assualts the sqaud with a daemon prince, who kills some of them... then gets severely punished as i hit him back with 50 someodd guardsmen. cause three wounds. he loses another one due to fearless and the guardsmen are ready to fire again!

Murrithius
07-07-2010, 20:30
An Avatar, from full wounds, with 3 Guardsmen it was about to charge. Too close!

Jusu
07-07-2010, 20:42
i have last my daemon prince of nurgle TWICE to las guns, from 2 different armies. each squad consisted of less than 20 guys. the number of wounds dealt each game was 5 and then 4. epic fail on my part.

Thornz
08-07-2010, 00:16
Sgt. Hogsbane

So Named because in two rounds of CC killed an Orc Warboss on bike :), then triumphantly charged a second Orc Warboss only for the game to end before he could dispatch him as well! All with just an obviously very, very sharp Parade Batton

wilsonian
08-07-2010, 11:34
I've taken down a Nurgle Terminator with a round of lasgun fire from one squad :D

The SkaerKrow
08-07-2010, 12:44
Points wise: a lone guardsman falling back killed Abbadon with 2 well placed las bolts.
I can just see this exchange now.

Abbadon the Despoiler: I walked with Warmaster Horus! I have lived since before your False Emperor was a stinking corpse! I am scourge of your pathetic Imperium!
Private Jimmy: Yeah, well last week I had to milk a Grox. A boy Grox. *Pew-Pew Las bolts*

Bloodknight
08-07-2010, 14:23
In 3rd edition one of my Sergeants (not a vet) killed a Carnifex (took off his last 2 wounds) with his laspistol.

He's been the absolute hero of my gaming career:

His squad got killed to the last man. He passes his morale check (on 6 due to understrength, 58,3% chance of failure). He then passes his Last Man Standing test (6 again, another 58.3% of failure) and shoots two lasbolts at the Carnifex. Both hit on 4+, both wound on 6+ and both go through the 2+ armour save.

The chance of that happening should be horribly bad (any math buff cares? I've been out of school for too long, I can only calculate average kills anymore;)).

Pyriel
08-07-2010, 14:24
i dunno if it counts... a lone guardsman once held his own against a 6-man seer council for 3 game turns(NOT player turns! :o ).
per str 3 hits, biggest i've seen is a lone junior officer doing a desperate "move-shoot-charge" to unwounded carnifex and killing him before fex knew what happened. ...well, he had a plasmapistol, but NO power weapon or fist or anything. just lots of 6s. (my dicerolling is weird; sometimes i roll 12 consequtive 1s on d20, others my ICs (usualy my ICs, for some reason) just cannot die.)

for ranged lasgun shots, it has to be when my command squad in 4th ed shot at a termi libby...he had one wound left, and the commsquad and the libby were last models on the tabletop.
lascannon fires: fails to hit.
plasmagun fires: saved(5++, termie).
plasmagun 2 fires: fails to hit.
officer plasmapistol(yup... he would charge next turn!I'd lose!) : fails to wound.

(other player) "YAY! MY TURN NOW!"
(me) "ok... lemme fire the heavy weapon loader's lasgun first, then your turn".
*lasgun shoots! rolls 5 to hit 6 to penetrate just to make a point!*
(other player) *rolls a 1* "oh...crap..."

Reflex
08-07-2010, 14:55
Is one of the reasons we play guard because we can laugh in players faces and be super smug aobut it when we kill anything at all with a lasgun. hehehe