PDA

View Full Version : Do Dwarfs still have to roll for the Winds of Magic?

Balerion
07-07-2010, 06:03
Obviously they can't use any of the power dice generated, but there are still implications for the other player depending on how it goes.

eg. if the Dwarf doesn't have to roll the 2D6, a Black Coach won't be able to roll to absorb them. If there are no power dice generated then there are no dispel dice generated, and a Black Periapt won't be able to store one, etc.

shelfunit.
07-07-2010, 06:43
I thought they could use them for dispelling RiP spells, like in 7th?

Balerion
07-07-2010, 06:52
That may well be possible. I'm not very familiar with the Dwarf armybook.

shelfunit.
07-07-2010, 06:56
Dwarf book has no mention of magic in it at all (apart from fluff), so I'd go by what ever the BRB says.

Urgat
07-07-2010, 07:26
There's no rule saying that dwarfs don't have a magic phase though, I believe, so they have to roll I guess. Don't they have bound spells?

shelfunit.
07-07-2010, 07:37
There's no rule saying that dwarfs don't have a magic phase though, I believe, so they have to roll I guess. Don't they have bound spells?

No bound spells, nothing beyond dispelling.

EDIT: Even the anvil is an auto effect.

Balerion
07-07-2010, 08:28
The relevant sections in the rulebook, as far as I can tell:

THE MAGIC PHASE SEQUENCE
...The magic phase starts with both sides determining how much magical power can be tapped into this turn. The player whose turn it is (the casting player) will be seeking to draw down enough power to cast his spells, whilst his opponent (the dispelling player) will be gathering magical energy to dispel any spells being cast.
(pg 29)

1. ROLL FOR WINDS OF MAGIC
Roll 2D6 to determine the strength of the Winds of Magic.
At the start of each magic phase, the casting player determines the strength of the Winds of Magic by rolling 2D6.
(pg 30)
Seems like as long as you have a magic phase you're defined as the casting player (even if you have nothing that can be cast), and as long as you're the casting player you roll 2D6 power dice (even if you have no use for them).

You guys agree?

shelfunit.
07-07-2010, 08:32
Same (effectively) as 7th ed - dwarfs still generated 2 power dice to use for dispelling RiP spells, all good then :)

Urgat
07-07-2010, 08:33
No bound spells, nothing beyond dispelling.

EDIT: Even the anvil is an auto effect.

There's common magic items with bound spells though, and I have failed to find the rumoured restrictions for dwarfs, demons and don't remember who else preventing them to use those items.

shelfunit.
07-07-2010, 09:18
There's common magic items with bound spells though, and I have failed to find the rumoured restrictions for dwarfs, demons and don't remember who else preventing them to use those items.

Dwarf army book - pg 43 - "A dwarf may carry runic magic items.."

Also in the army list the characters "may choose runic items from the X,Y,Z lists"

No magic items allowed.

theunwantedbeing
07-07-2010, 20:31
You can dispel in your own magic phase using power dice as dispel dice.
Ego, dwarves get a magic phase so must roll.

You do get a bonus to dispel attempts despite having no mages though.

stashman
07-07-2010, 21:15
What if the game is between 4 players, 2 vs 2 Allied Battle.

Dwarf + Empire vs. Orcs and Ogres

How does it work? Roll for both???

Tae
07-07-2010, 21:18
You roll once per magic phase. So once in the 'good guys' turn, once in the 'bad guys' turn.

Also note in the above example the Dwarfs would lose their dispel bonus, as that only exists so long as they are taken in a solely Dwarf army. Once they ally their lose it.

Kugruk
07-07-2010, 21:19
What if the game is between 4 players, 2 vs 2 Allied Battle.

Dwarf + Empire vs. Orcs and Ogres

How does it work? Roll for both???

Correct, you roll one set, and then you and your teammate divide them as you see fit.

lethlis
08-07-2010, 09:26
Dwarfs still have a magic phase, even if they can not cast. If you run no casters you still have a magic phase, some spells activate at the start of the magic phase, otherwise you could just skip them. Or make them last forever if you are arguing no magic phase

Hellebore
08-07-2010, 09:35
Well you might as well ask if I take an Empire army with no spell casters or bound magic of any kind, do I still roll the dice/count as having a magic phase?

I would assume so. The inability to perform in a phase does not remove that phase from your turn, it just makes it go faster...

hellebore

Urgat
08-07-2010, 10:04
Dwarf army book - pg 43 - "A dwarf may carry runic magic items.."

Also in the army list the characters "may choose runic items from the X,Y,Z lists"

No magic items allowed.

Ah, it's in the dwarf book, no wonder I couldn't find it :p

Aratus
08-07-2010, 15:06
Yea we can roll to generate magic dice, the only use the dwarf player will have for them is to get rid of any Remains in Play spells. We generated 2 power dice in 7th too, we just never used em :D

Agoz
08-07-2010, 15:42
Yea we can roll to generate magic dice, the only use the dwarf player will have for them is to get rid of any Remains in Play spells. We generated 2 power dice in 7th too, we just never used em :D

and with 2d6 dice now, its alot easier for us to dispell those remains in play spells in 8th :)

shelfunit.
08-07-2010, 20:51
and with 2d6 dice now, its alot easier for us to dispell those remains in play spells in 8th :)

Indeed, there seems to be another "stunty-phile" rule around every corner :D

ZigZagMan
09-07-2010, 00:45
Although there are a couple special magic items that dwarfs are allowed to take. From after the storm of chaos I believe.

shelfunit.
09-07-2010, 06:11
Although there are a couple special magic items that dwarfs are allowed to take. From after the storm of chaos I believe.

Can we really still take these thing? I thought they (along with the whole storm itself) had been brushed under the carpet as if it never existed?