PDA

View Full Version : VC Hellsteed and 'Troop Type' in 8th

MasterSparks
07-07-2010, 10:05
Hello,

I've been pondering over the effects that the 8th edition rules will have on the gameplay mechanics of my Hellsteed-riding Vampire Lady. It appears that the old "characters may not join units if they're on a flying mount" is gone (please let me know if this is incorrect~), which is good, but then I also noticed that Lone Characters are granted a Look Out Sir! roll if they're in the vicinity of a sufficiently large friendly unit that shares the same troop type as the character in question.

Now, the bestiary in the new rulebook has Hellsteeds as War Beasts. However, the rules for War Beasts state that, when used as mounts for characters, they use the rules for Cavalry. Does this necessarily mean that the model's troop type is changed in the process, from War Beast to Cavalry? I would almost assume so, which is unfortunate since it'd remove the possibility of using Dire Wolves and Fell Bats (fellow War Beasts to the Hellsteed) as a means of getting a LOS roll in a world where hiding your precious general has become much harder. I then can't quite fathom why a Hellsteed would be labelled a War Beast in the first place though, since there won't ever be one that isn't ridden by a character and thus turned into Cavalry..

Anyway, I just figured I'd hear what anyone would have to say about this. Perhaps the close-to-come errata will be so kind as to mention it. :)

Atrahasis
07-07-2010, 10:18
1-wound mounts ridden by characters make the whole model unit type "cavalry". - page 104

MasterSparks
07-07-2010, 10:23
I was just about to return here to post the very same thing, after some deeper research. Thanks still. :)