PDA

View Full Version : Comet of Casandora Strength?

Miredorf
07-07-2010, 12:15
Hi guys, it turns out that in the spanish version (either BRB and magic cards) of comet of cassandora doesnt give a Strength value for those impacts. Is this an errata in this language version?

If so, would you be so gentle to tell me what is the strength of the spell? :cries:

Atrahasis
07-07-2010, 12:17
4+markers.

That means it is always at least S5, since there'll always be at least one marker when it hits.

Miredorf
07-07-2010, 12:25
Ummm really? then the spell description in spanish is totally fubbared. In the spanish version the markers give +1 impact hit. So the basic spell is 2D6+1 impact hits (no strength given) and for every marker you get +1 additional hits.

Strength 5 base for dificulty 12 seems really powerful!

Much thanks for the fast answer!

Atrahasis
07-07-2010, 12:29
The markers increase the hits in the same way in the English text too.

Ultimate Life Form
07-07-2010, 12:41
The spanish versions of the game seem especially botched; I suggest applying the original (real, correct, genuine...) rules to the game wherever possible.

Miredorf
07-07-2010, 12:46
The spanish versions of the game seem especially botched; I suggest applying the original (real, correct, genuine...) rules to the game wherever possible.

I agree, i have the healthy habit of always getting the books in its original english version for this very reason (less chances of erratas), but sadly not everybody can understand english. Much less in Spain, a country that just like england and france is very hesitant of learning other languages.

Rajhald
07-07-2010, 14:31
Comet's actual wording in the english version is.

all units from either side within 2D6 are struck by the comet. each unit struck by the comet takes 2D6 hits, +1 hit for each marker on the comet, at a Strength equal to 4 plus the number of markers on the comet.

There you have it.

Miredorf
07-07-2010, 14:47
Comet's actual wording in the english version is.

all units from either side within 2D6 are struck by the comet. each unit struck by the comet takes 2D6 hits, +1 hit for each marker on the comet, at a Strength equal to 4 plus the number of markers on the comet.

There you have it.

Much thanks to you too. I really wonder how this was left out in the translation...

On a side note ill say that the spell is obscene now. I dont see any reason (other than your caster having 1 wound left) not to throw 6 dice at it every time you try to cast this spell.

snowywlf
07-07-2010, 15:09
Out of curiousity, Miredorf, could you post your translation of the Spanish rule? *ears perked*

I want to see how bad this gets. :P

RichBlake
07-07-2010, 16:11
The actual wording is more along the lines of:

Once Comet of Cassandor is cast it cannot be dispelled. Put a marker anywhere on the table. At the start of every magic phase roll a D6. On a 1-3 nothing happens and you add an extra marker on top of the first. On a 4+ the comet strikes and every unit within 2D6" takes 2D6 hits plus an additional hit for each marker at Strength 4 + 1 for each marker.

So if you cast it turn 1, in your opponent's magic phase at the start it can come down and do 3-13 S5 hits to every unit within 2D6". If it doesn't then at the start of your next magic phase it can do 4-14 S6 hits to every unit within 2D6". If you then cast another comet spell you could then in your opponent's magic phase to 5-15 S7 hits and 3-13 S5 hits to every unit within 2D6!

Miredorf
08-07-2010, 08:58
Out of curiousity, Miredorf, could you post your translation of the Spanish rule? *ears perked*

I want to see how bad this gets. :P

The wording is exactly the same but omiting (for some reason) the strength part.

I can write the text in spanish if you want np.

Duke Georgal
08-07-2010, 09:32
This has been a constant issue here in Florida. Many players buy the rule books in Spanish because it is the language in which they are most fluent, but many rules are slightly different. I remember the 6th edition lizardman book causing a few problems.

Mr_Rose
08-07-2010, 15:23
The wording is exactly the same but omiting (for some reason) the strength part.

I can write the text in spanish if you want np.
That would be interesting to see; I would like to look for signs of machine-translation, because most human translators and proofers would not miss a numeral like that.

Atrahasis
08-07-2010, 16:00
Machine translation wouldn't either. A numeral would be skipped by a machine by default.

The_Lemon
08-07-2010, 19:07
The text in spanish is, skipping the part where it says when it will hit.

Todas las unidades, sean del bando que sean, que estén a 2d6 UM o menos del marcador resultan impactadas por el cometa. Cada unidad impactada sufrirá 2d6 impactos, +1 impacto por cada "marcador de cometa" que haya sobre el tablero. Una vez lanzado, el cometa no podrá ser dispersado.

After that it just says the parte where the wizard may make the spell harder to casts and place 2 markers instead of 1.

Rereading that its funny to notice that if you cast several comets when any of them crashes down it will get buffed by the whole amount of markers that are on the board, it doesn't matter if those were the markers for that comet or for another. Another little snippet is that the markers are not removed so every turn you must check if the comet comes down or not even if it previously crashed down, so it is possible for a single comet to crash several times in a battle.