PDA

View Full Version : Watchtower Scenario Question

Dorack
07-07-2010, 15:34
I am building an army list for a game tonight. I have a question about the Watchtower scenario.

The rules say you might be able to place a "core" unit on the Tower, right? Is there a maximum size for that unit? Any other requirement? What if you want to place a unit that is larger than allowed?

Txs in advance.

RichBlake
07-07-2010, 16:08
I believe 20 models of infantry is mentioned somewhere, might be in the rules for the watchtower itself.

You don't have to place a unit in there, and to enter you just have to be in base to base with a building, so you can get someone in there by your turn two anyway.

Be careful though: Cavalry can attack buildings but not hold them. So you can actually be charged by knights...

Dorack
07-07-2010, 17:21
I remember reading on the building rules that only certain type of units can go in building, but there was no mention of minimum or maximum size. On the other hand, I think I read something like that on the scenario itself.

Im tailoring one of my core units specificaly to have it deployed in the watchtower. My only question now is how big should it be.

riotknight
07-07-2010, 17:31
It's in the Deployment rules for the scenario, maximum of 20 models in the tower can be deployed. But I assume if you leave it, and replace it with a bigger unit, thats okay.

RichBlake
07-07-2010, 17:37
I remember reading on the building rules that only certain type of units can go in building, but there was no mention of minimum or maximum size. On the other hand, I think I read something like that on the scenario itself.

Both monster and cavalry can fight people in buildings by entering them, but then they leave after.

It's really odd imo but who knows why they did it.

Zazzer
07-07-2010, 17:40
They did it so Bretonnians could have fun too.

theunwantedbeing
07-07-2010, 17:41
Both monster and cavalry can fight people in buildings by entering them, but then they leave after.

It's really odd imo but who knows why they did it.

Two reasons really

1. Makes people take block infantry
2. Cavalry and monsters don't actually fit into a building made for people

Pretty obvious really.
I played the watchtower scenario vs a skaven army a bit ago, my plan was to run all my assasins and fighty character's into the watchtower and prevent my opponent from being able to take it.

However, before I got to the watchtower, his screaming bell rang and levelled all the buildings on the board! Wasnt planned by the skaven player, sheer blind luck that it happened.

RichBlake
07-07-2010, 19:41
Two reasons really

1. Makes people take block infantry
2. Cavalry and monsters don't actually fit into a building made for people

Pretty obvious really.
I played the watchtow

Uhh I meant why can they fight in there at all?

Monsters would surely attack the building itself rather then hit those inside it and Cavalry would have to dismount and charge in, not exactly something you can do with lances...

Korraz
07-07-2010, 19:50
Cavalry? Dismount, beat the hell outa them, mount.
Monster? Claw through windows and doors.

RichBlake
07-07-2010, 19:52
Cavalry? Dismount, beat the hell outa them, mount.
Monster? Claw through windows and doors.

Then why would the cavalry get the benefit of lances or their horse's barding?

Then why would the monster get it's full compliment of attacks if it is reaching in through a relatively small window?

mrtn
07-07-2010, 20:05
Then why would the cavalry get the benefit of lances or their horse's barding?They don't get the benefit of lances.

Dorack
07-07-2010, 20:34
20 models then. Thank you.

I was afraid it was something like that. 20 models is not very much in 8th, but I assume its worse to find yourself without a proper unit to deploy in the Watchtower...

One more question: is 20 models the absolute maximum? Does it include characters?

Korraz
07-07-2010, 20:44
Cavalry don't get it, as far as I know.
And the monster is ANGRY.

Edit: Yes. 20 models, that's it.

Damocles8
08-07-2010, 01:14
They don't get the benefit of lances.

Well do defended obstacles still work the same in 8th?

RichBlake
08-07-2010, 01:59
They don't get the benefit of lances.

Hmm fair doos, I didn't read the building rules fully if I'm honest. I just read that everyone can fight in it.

Still think it's a tad silly that knights can ride up, dismount, kill stuff and mount again in the same time it takes a unit of halberdiers and spearmen to exchange 10 casualties each.

Plus monsters really should attack the build not the unit :P

Oh well, I guess it wont matter all too often anyway.

Dorack
08-07-2010, 06:08
Another related question: in building fighting, you only count casualties for CR. What about a War Banner? Regardless of the banner itself, will the magical +1 to CR count?

chilledenuff
08-07-2010, 06:48
I played the watchtower scenario vs a skaven army a bit ago, my plan was to run all my assasins and fighty character's into the watchtower and prevent my opponent from being able to take it.

However, before I got to the watchtower, his screaming bell rang and levelled all the buildings on the board! Wasnt planned by the skaven player, sheer blind luck that it happened.

Bet you all had a good chuckle though, I can already hear the skaven's grey seer explaining to his superiors how the battle went

... yes, yes.. the watchtower is no longer in the hands of the furless one lord,
but there is a small problem with our using it...

It's that kind of moment that makes WHFB work for me. How does it effect the victory conditions though?

Atrahasis
08-07-2010, 07:56
IIRC, you have to hold the building to win. It's a draw.

Korraz
08-07-2010, 08:20
No, if nobody holds the tower it's victory points.

Atrahasis
08-07-2010, 08:33
Ah, then I don't RC.

Avian
08-07-2010, 08:41
IIRC, you have to hold the building to win. It's a draw.
How about if you bring your own portable watchtower (the magic item). Can you then claim a victory? I mean, you are holding the only watchtower on the field and it's in almost the same position.

;)