PDA

View Full Version : Chariots (abit rusty)

Elannion
26-02-2006, 23:00
Sorry these are simple questions i just haven't seem them about for a long while so i have forgotten things.

1. What is a chariots line of sight, is it like a singlle character or because its a big model is it the normal 90degree from front? also i expect chariot units would be the normal 90degree thing?
2. do chariot units still get the free turning/wheeling that other chariots "when moving a chariot simply measure the distance and move it. There is no need to turn or wheel" pg127 of the rule book. Or because they are in ranks and file does this stop this?

Atrahasis
26-02-2006, 23:09
1. 90 degrees

2. TK Chariot units are fast cavalry.

Elannion
26-02-2006, 23:17
Well i know they are fast cavalry and that gives them a similar rule but getting a free reforming isn't quite the same as the free movement anywhere without the penaltys of wheeling and turning (well it might be i dunno my brains not working properly atm)

SuperBeast
27-02-2006, 07:47
TK chariots move as fast cavalry, not chariots. So no free turning etc. They move and wheel like normal fast cavalry.

As for LOS, TK chariots have a 360 LOS for shooting, but a normal 90 front arc for purposes of declaring charges. Because they're fast cavalry.

Festus
27-02-2006, 08:34
Hi

Fast Cav had a rules change: They may make as many free reforms as they wish during their movement, without any penalties. They may still be marchblocked, though...

This makes them nearly as manoeuvrable as skirmishers.

And as fast cav, TK chariots have a LoS of 360 in the shooting phase only.

Greetings
Festus

SuperBeast
27-02-2006, 08:51
They may make as many free reforms as they wish during their movement, without any penalties.

To double clarify (sorry Festus! ;) ), they are still bound by the basic fast cavalry rule that no single model may move more than it's allowed movement regardless of reforms.

ie. you can't move 8" forward and then reform a unit to face sideways because that means the outermost model will have exceeded it's movement.

Personally, the way I maneouvre fast cavalry is to place the model that will have moved furthest first, then form the unit around that. Prevents confusion.

Mad Makz
27-02-2006, 09:53
Also, march blocking Fast Cavalry you can do, march blocking Tomb King Chariots however is redundant because A) Tomb King's can't march, B) Chariots can't march. :)

Festus
27-02-2006, 10:04
Right.

I changed the sequence of the sentences in my post accordingly... ;)

Greetings
Festus

PelsBoble
27-02-2006, 10:26
As for LOS, chariots have a 360 LOS for shooting, but a normal 90 front arc for purposes of declaring charges.

I thought it was only TK chariots who got 360 degree LOS since they are fast cav.

SuperBeast
27-02-2006, 10:42
I thought it was only TK chariots who got 360 degree LOS since they are fast cav.
Apologies, I assumed it was obvious we were talking about TK chariots. Post edited. :D

PelsBoble
27-02-2006, 14:02
No worries. Just got a bit confused :)

EvC
27-02-2006, 16:24
It's very annoying that normal chariots don't get 360 LOS for shooting!

Elannion
27-02-2006, 20:19
They are fast cavalry but i quote from the TK book (appologies if this has been ammended)

"light chariots follow the rules for chariots on page 126-128 of the warhammer rule book with the following exceptions"
"these units ALSO follow the rules for fast cavalry"
And this is not addressed in these exceptions and is not canceled out by fast cavalry rules.

Festus
27-02-2006, 20:26
Hi

??? What are you talking about?

Asks
Festus

Elannion
27-02-2006, 22:13
TK chariots move as fast cavalry, not chariots. So no free turning etc.

Is what i was talking about.

mageith
27-02-2006, 22:40
To double clarify (sorry Festus! ;) ), they are still bound by the basic fast cavalry rule that no single model may move more than it's allowed movement regardless of reforms.

ie. you can't move 8" forward and then reform a unit to face sideways because that means the outermost model will have exceeded it's movement.

Technically you are correct for Cavalry models, but think TK chariots still move as chariots, that is, pivot at no penalty.

Personally, the way I maneouvre fast cavalry is to place the model that will have moved furthest first, then form the unit around that. Prevents confusion.
Around it? Or behind it? I think this as become the universal convention because actually measuring the movement of Fast Cavalry gives a headache.

As I observe this convention, Cavalry as well as TK chariots essentially Move as skirmishers and pivoters though the rules don't really give that much freedom.

They move as skirmishers but unlike skirmishers must end up in a formation.

Mage Ith

SuperBeast
27-02-2006, 23:31
Technically you are correct for Cavalry models, but think TK chariots still move as chariots, that is, pivot at no penalty.
Apologies - little difficult to put into words - what I was trying to demonstrate was, say, you have a unit (3 models in one rank) of TK chariots that advance forward their 8", THEN the unit rotates around the centre of the unit 90 degrees "free turn/reform/whatever".
This would mean one of the chariots has moved more than it's 8", which is, AFAIK, not allowed. Am I correct in this? Apologies for ba wording.

Around it? Or behind it? I think this as become the universal convention because actually measuring the movement of Fast Cavalry gives a headache.
As I observe this convention, Cavalry as well as TK chariots essentially Move as skirmishers and pivoters though the rules don't really give that much freedom.
They move as skirmishers but unlike skirmishers must end up in a formation.

Again, bad wording on my part. I indicated "the model which will move furthest", but didn't complete the description by specifying that all other models must be positioned no further away from the unit's start position than the model you first moved. So, I guess, behind. Sorry!:(