PDA

View Full Version : help me start a lizardmen army!!!

puckus10
07-07-2010, 20:46
i just ordered the army book, a unit of 16 saurus, and am probably getting the battalion( 20 saurus, 8 cold one, 10 temple guard, and 12 skink skirmishers)

wat should i add for a 1500pt list?

Kugruk
07-07-2010, 20:49
i just ordered the army book, a unit of 16 saurus, and am probably getting the battalion( 20 saurus, 8 cold one, 10 temple guard, and 12 skink skirmishers)

wat should i add for a 1500pt list?

Youll be doing yourself a disservice if you did not include at least 2 salamanders. Saurus heroes are also amazing. A skink priest model will be almost necessary as well. I would also pick up another box of saurus and skinks, you're going to need more than 12 :D

Onidan
07-07-2010, 20:56
Yes, Salamanders are definetly great. No partials are huge with the flame templates.

A Saurus hero, as Kugruk said, is a must as well. YouŽll have difficulties finding a better fighting character for these points. Hard as nails and hits like a truck.

Kroxigors are quite nice to have as well with all the buffs they get with the 8th edition changes. IŽd say get 6 for 2*3 for 18 S6 attacks and stomp attacks.

An engine of the gods is too expensive for 1500 points, but might be useful for later lists.

Kugruk
07-07-2010, 20:59
Yes, Salamanders are definetly great. No partials are huge with the flame templates.

A Saurus hero, as Kugruk said, is a must as well. YouŽll have difficulties finding a better fighting character for these points. Hard as nails and hits like a truck.

Kroxigors are quite nice to have as well with all the buffs they get with the 8th edition changes. IŽd say get 6 for 2*3 for 18 S6 attacks and stomp attacks.

An engine of the gods is too expensive for 1500 points, but might be useful for later lists.

I dont know what kind of finances youre working with here, the only reason I didnt mention kroxigor is that a 3X2 unit will run about $120+, you really cant go wrong with a stegadon either :)

Naestran
07-07-2010, 21:18
Yep, saurus, skinks and a skink priest and a saurus hero are all good bets, salamanders and kroxigor are pretty expensive, and unless you have tonnes of cash kroxigor are not worth it imho, sallies definitely are though. The stegadon kit is really good as you can assemble it as an engine of the gods or a normal stegadon. Both of these are great as if you don't use it as an engine you can stick the skink priest on top on a spare base from the skinks and save you buying a metal one, the same can be done with the skink chief. If you really want kroxigors then reaper miniatures do a cool looking model very cheap, you may not be able to use them at tourneys but they do look good.
:D

puckus10
07-07-2010, 21:55
thanks alot guys! also, im kinda wondering what is good(if anything) about a skink chief with blowpipe. does he have anything special?

Naestran
07-07-2010, 22:01
Other than a higher ballistic skill no, you can of course give him magic items such as the staff of the lost sun (correct me if wrong, the three multiple shot one) but generally speaking they usually are worse off than their saurus counterparts, no matter how cool the models are...

Skink chiefs are still good but I generally don't take them.

puckus10
07-07-2010, 22:09
this sounds kind of newbie but im just gettin started in fantasy: wat does the skirmish rule do?

Naestran
07-07-2010, 22:16
Well, I'm pretty new to fantasy as well, welcome to Warseer btw, this is a great site to help you out :D

A new rulebook has just come out meaning that a lot of rules have changed, so I don't really know what the skirmish rule actually does :(

I know that basically it is troops that are in a loose formation that are usually more manoeuvrable than other troops but don't have as big an impact in combat, they cannot break ranks for instance. In 7th edition they were incredibly manoeuvrable and a skilled player could run circles round a slow foe shooting them all the while. I think that skirmishers are less manoeuvrable now but I can't tell you the exact rules as I don't have the new rulebook yet :p

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

puckus10
07-07-2010, 22:20
thts ok, thanks for the help! also, what is a miscast on a spell dice roll?

Naestran
07-07-2010, 22:22
A miscast is when you role a double six when casting the spell. although the spell cannot be dispelled or stopped your caster basically runs the risk of blowing himself up and a lot of people close to him:p Other results include him loosing magic levels and some other effects I can't recall.

puckus10
07-07-2010, 23:53
cool thnks

Vsurma
07-07-2010, 23:57
If you like magic you can't go wrong with a slann, one of the best mages in the entire game. At 275pts its a bargain. (500pts if you really tool him up to be a flying toad of doom)

Cheap and good way to get your army playing higher points games.

puckus10
07-07-2010, 23:58
A flying toad of doom sounds pretty good with me!!