PDA

View Full Version : saurus oldblood or scar veteran



puckus10
07-07-2010, 21:58
i really cant figure out wich is better?

Malorian
07-07-2010, 22:00
Wrong question...

It should be: old blood or two scar vets?


My vote is for the two scarvets.

Naestran
07-07-2010, 22:03
Oldblood has a better stat line but the improvements imo are not worth the extra points. The only reason to take one over a scar vet is the increased magical items allowance and of course the option to go on a carnosaur. When collecting Lizardmen remember one thing:

BIG DINOSAURS ARE COOL!!!!!;)

Generally speaking though two scarvets are better, but it depends what you are trying to do.

Taipan
08-07-2010, 00:52
Carnosaur = awesome. I'd go for the Old-Blood.

Scar-Vets are good for their points, but nothing says 'I see your heavy infantry and raise you a T-Rex' like dropping an Old-Blood on Carnosaur. Given the pricyness though, you probably won't be able to fit a Slann and a Carnosaur in the same list.

Vsurma
08-07-2010, 08:53
Naestran is right, the stats don't justify the cost, unlike 99% of the other lords, our old blood doesn't even grant a higher ld.

The reason is indeed to allow you to take items that cost over 50pts.

The blade of realities is on such item though it's very difficult to get it into contact with the right enemies this edition.

Although there are a lot of cool common magic items the cost is often not justified when compared to taking more scarvets.

Dreadgrass
08-07-2010, 09:29
Also, as theres the new 25% caps on hero and Lords, the oldblood takes from one pool, the Scar Vets, from the other, isn't this a little apples and oranges? To me its sort of more the choice of Oldblood/s and Skink Priest or Slann and Scar Vets.

Vsurma
08-07-2010, 09:46
Well, you can actually fit in a slann and an decent oldblood, if you keep them both relatively cheap.

Still scar vets do the job better for their price.
Instead of taking a killing/defensive old blood you could take a scar vet for each job. 2 scar vets get 8 attacks remember, old blood has 5. those 5 better be doing something really good to warrant the lower count.

Nicha11
08-07-2010, 11:06
I have been runing my Oldblood with the +3 str weapon and a 1+ re-rollable armour save.
He has performed quite well.

However I have always had great success with a scar-vet equipped with a piranha blade and enchanted shield owning challenges.

Visago
08-07-2010, 18:01
Also, as theres the new 25% caps on hero and Lords, the oldblood takes from one pool, the Scar Vets, from the other, isn't this a little apples and oranges? To me its sort of more the choice of Oldblood/s and Skink Priest or Slann and Scar Vets.

Heros and lords are pulling from the same pool for the 25% cap in the new edition. Unless I'm miss reading what you wrote, in which case please excuse my confusion. So in a 2000 point list you have 500 points max to spend on all of your characters.

We normally play 2000 point games at my game club, so I'm up against a lot of hard choices come this weekend.

Gokamok
08-07-2010, 18:09
Heros and lords are pulling from the same pool for the 25% cap in the new edition. Unless I'm miss reading what you wrote, in which case please excuse my confusion. So in a 2000 point list you have 500 points max to spend on all of your characters.

We normally play 2000 point games at my game club, so I'm up against a lot of hard choices come this weekend.

Nope, it's 25% for Lords AND 25% for Heroes, equalling a total of 50% max on characters.

Visago
08-07-2010, 18:21
Nope, it's 25% for Lords AND 25% for Heroes, equalling a total of 50% max on characters.

Holy crap! That changes everything then. Thanks for the clarification.