PDA

View Full Version : Skin chiefs: Are they worth it??

puckus10
08-07-2010, 00:00
iF SO HOW CAN YOU USE THEM TO THEIR FULLEST?

Ultimate Life Form
08-07-2010, 00:05
Is your capslock broken?

Well, Skink Chiefs are a tricky issue... well previously, unless you wanted something special like the Stegadon Warspear or an all-Skink army, they were not worth it. They're like a poor man's Saurus Hero. However with the new edition they got a few interesting boosts:

- Their high Ini means unlike Saurus they'll usually go first, and coupled with a few nasty tricks that can really ruin the enemy's day (killing blow anyone?)

And this ties in with the next point:

-The new edition gave them a largely greater arsenal of weapons, so there may be something included that makes him worth taking. I'll check the list and see if I can come up with an interesting strategy for you.

Vsurma
08-07-2010, 00:05
We have a lizardmen thread, use it. Abandon the caps please.

Zaustus
08-07-2010, 00:46
No no, he didn't ask about Skink Chiefs, he asked about Skin chiefs. That sounds Slaaneshi to me.

ftayl5
08-07-2010, 09:40
Guys guys, we've all accidentally hit caps locks, posted a question in the wrong place, misspelt the question and not proof read any of it before posting...

Anyway, they're more worth it than before due to the percentages, that's about the only reason. Nothing a skink can do that a saurus can't. Except fly.

Memnos
08-07-2010, 09:43
Skin chiefs are great because they can take their d...

DAMMIT! Someone beat me to the Slaaneshi punch.

Skink Chiefs are okay with percentages. You can get hordes of them. The only problem is that they're free victory points for the armies that get tough champions, like Ogres or Beastmen or Skaven. Basically any army that gets 3 wound champions.

Vsurma
08-07-2010, 09:48
Scar vets do every thing better.
Anything worth doing at least. Cham skinks take care of war machines very well these days!

Turn 1 double shooting poison and turn 2 charge.

Nicha11
08-07-2010, 09:57
Nothing a skink can do that a saurus can't. Except fly.

There's a new common magic item that lets you fly.

Spiney Norman
08-07-2010, 10:16
Plus flying isn't really that great any more anyway.

To be honest about the only application I can see for a skink chief is the old steg ancient with the warspear trick, but thats going to burn all your hero slot points in one hit.

puckus10
08-07-2010, 13:02
Can you run temple guard without taking a slan? just ordered my army book :)

Spiney Norman
08-07-2010, 13:25
Can you run temple guard without taking a slan? just ordered my army book :)

Yes you can, but you wouldn't want to, because a TG unit without a slann is just a saurus unit that pays 5pts a model more than it needs to. When joined by a slann TG become ItP and stubborn, which is what makes them worth it.

Ultimate Life Form
08-07-2010, 15:34
Well but TG have also have more armor, halberds, higher WS (makes a LOT of difference) and higher Ini (okay, scratch that).

I agree that normally you want to have a Slann with them, but I fear in my all-Saurus list I won't have enough points for more than one Slann and COR spam isn't really a great strategy so I may field a unit without (or, since it is a Saurus only list, go with the Carnosaur to begin with). I think the Temple Guard certainly has its uses.

Vsurma
08-07-2010, 15:34
Well, it made them worth it last edition, in this one you know longer fear, the "fear autobreak" so immun to psych is less useful.

Still it was a way to keep slanns alive as well.

WarmbloodedLizard
09-07-2010, 20:51
I can see skink chiefs as (sub-par) assassins. but that's pretty much it.

e.g.
chief, terradon, la, spear, charmed shield, potion of foolhardiness: 101pts

still too expensive, though.

ftayl5
09-07-2010, 22:34
There's a new common magic item that lets you fly.

What? Why wasn't I informed of this?
That's cool though