PDA

View Full Version : Third Eye of Tzeentch

Nitael
08-07-2010, 16:28
Can I give it to Exalted Hero who has a Book of Secrets ?

Oberon
08-07-2010, 16:30
You can't, because it is sorcerers only. You could give the hero a dispel scroll for example as they are "wizards only".

kyuzo
08-07-2010, 16:30
Most likely not since it says sorcerers only and not wizards only.

Mr_Rose
08-07-2010, 16:38
Are not the terms "Sorcerer" and "Wizard" noted several times as being interchangeable in various locations?

Oberon
Sorcerers are wizards, but wizards aren't sorcerers. The book is for sorcerers only.

EDIT: Mr_Rose: no, not in the sorcerer entry or the lore-section.

Nitael
So that would mean I can't give it to Daemon Prince ? :/

Oberon
08-07-2010, 16:44
As absurd as it is, so it would seem.

Nitael
08-07-2010, 16:48
Are not the terms "Sorcerer" and "Wizard" noted several times as being interchangeable in various locations?

Regarding that I just read in the Army Book something like that (in Using Chaos Magic) :

"The term 'Sorcerer' is used describe Wizards who follow the Chaos Gods"

Jericho
08-07-2010, 20:01
I think the intent is quite clear, as the wizards in the Chaos book are called Sorcerers (capital S). I think it's assumed that Sorcerer Lords can take it as well :p

I'd agree that Exalteds with BoS and princes are out of luck.

Agnar the Howler
08-07-2010, 21:09
I'd say they can, the term sorcerer is referenced as only meaning a wizard that follows the chaos gods, it shouldn't have an impact on the game at all; Chaos Sorcerers are after all called Wizards in their profiles "A sorcerer is a level 1 Wizard..." which means that, with the logic that only sorcerers may take the TEoT, they cannot take it either, as they are explicitly called wizards.

I think GW had a brainfart whilst making the WoC FAQ, or just assumed that people would play as stated in the book, with 'sorcerer' meaning nothing more than a wizard who follows chaos.

Harwammer
08-07-2010, 21:12
Regarding that I just read in the Army Book something like that (in Using Chaos Magic) :

"The term 'Sorcerer' is used describe Wizards who follow the Chaos Gods"

In other words any wizard in a warriors army is a sorcerer. This should include daemon princes (which makes sense) and by extension fighty characters with book of secrets/pointy hat.

Nitael
08-07-2010, 21:13
Yeah , but FAQ says :

Q. Is a model with the Book of Secrets
considered a Wizard? If so, how many dice
can he use to cast a spell?
A. Yes, he counts as a Wizard. He can use up to
two dice to cast a spell in the same manner as
a Level 1 Wizard.

So acording to this Exalted will be considered as a Sorcerers becouse he is a wizard and he follows Chaos Gods.
I think that he do so lol :shifty:. Same to DP.

theunwantedbeing
08-07-2010, 21:20
Can I give it to Exalted Hero who has a Book of Secrets ?

Yes, the book makes you a mage, the third eye is mages only.
You also get access to arcane items.

Mr_Rose
08-07-2010, 21:55
And an Exalted hero with MoT will also get +1 to cast his fire/shadow/death spell.

Gratan
08-07-2010, 22:51
Yeah , but FAQ says :

Q. Is a model with the Book of Secrets
considered a Wizard? If so, how many dice
can he use to cast a spell?
A. Yes, he counts as a Wizard. He can use up to
two dice to cast a spell in the same manner as
a Level 1 Wizard.

So acording to this Exalted will be considered as a Sorcerers becouse he is a wizard and he follows Chaos Gods.
I think that he do so lol :shifty:. Same to DP.

Uhm... To me that reads he is a Wizard for casting purposes.... He is still a Base Exalted Hero and not a Base Wizard for Item selection... IMHO anway...

kramplarv
08-07-2010, 23:04
Your IMHO is wrong. The Q have two questions. one sentence each.
The A has two answers. One sentence each.

So, he is a wizard. he is an exalted champion sorcerer to be more correct. :)

kyuzo
09-07-2010, 01:18
He is an exalted champion who acts like a level 1 wizard for the purpose of casting.

He is not a sorcerer.

Zaustus
09-07-2010, 03:07
Quite an interesting, if semantic discussion here. I'll chip in with my $0.02.

WoC p.106: "The term 'Sorcerer' is used describe Wizards who follow the Chaos Gods"

WoC FAQ p.5: "Q: Is a model with the Book of Secrets considered a Wizard? ... A: Yes, he counts as a Wizard."

So. We have an Exalted Hero with the Book of Secrets. Is he a Wizard? Yes, per the FAQ. Does he follow the Chaos Gods? Yes, obviously. Therefore, by WoC p.106, he is a Sorcerer. Thus, he can take Third Eye of Tzeentch.

mightyzombie
09-07-2010, 05:07
According to the BRB, pg. 28: "In Warhammer, we commonly refer to a model able to cast spells as a Wizard. Some races use different terms, such as sorcerer, shaman, or seer, but all of these and others are considered to be types of Wizards."

WoC p.106: "The term 'Sorcerer' is used describe Wizards who follow the Chaos Gods"

As far as I can see, Sorcerers are just wizards with an army-themed name, unless there's an official ruling to the contrary.

Agnar the Howler
09-07-2010, 08:14
He is an exalted champion who acts like a level 1 wizard for the purpose of casting.

He is not a sorcerer.

Please point out where it says 'for the purposes of casting' anywhere in relation to the book making you a wizard, as I cannot find it.

Being a wizard makes you able to take items usable by wizards, there is nothing that states that this is any different if you become a wizard through an item, you are simply assuming it.

EDIT: The new FAQs are up, and Daemon Princes can indeed take sorcerer only gifts: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1260034a_FAQ_WarriorsofChaos_2010.pdf