PDA

View Full Version : chaos marauder horde unit!

HampMan
08-07-2010, 17:30
Well, since 8th ed is around the corner and im going to start building a 500 pts WoC army for it which will be based around a horde unit of 40 marauders with MoK(and maybe full command). I instantly fell in love with thre horde rule!

But the problem that im a little scared of is that my friend is rolling a beastmen army with a chariot and one of thouse big mr.pigs at 500 points and im worried that they will completly destroy my unit of marauders. other than that he has a 20 man unit of gors led by his general and a few skermishers to screen with.
so what can i do to counter this? what units should i take to support my horde? any sugestions?

Gaargod
08-07-2010, 18:07
40 Marauders with great weapons, khorne, standard and musician rock in at 242pts. That doesn't leave you a whole lot to play with.

Extra problem - you have to have a minimum of 3 units not including characters. Therefore you can't stick in a couple of marauder cav units to provide useful units (because your characters are so expensive).

At which stage, if you're really set on the marauder horde, you're basically stuck with taking min sized blocks of marauders for, say, 50pts each (10 with great weapons) and a hero with a bit of gear - a lv2 sorcerer of tzeentch with spell familiar totals 155pts, for a grand total of 497pts. You could alternatively take an exalted (for example, exalted with mount, mark of khorne, halberd and shield for 150pts).

As for beating stuff up... you're pretty much set. The marauders will beat up anything that touches them (although it could be problematical if you get flanked by the gors, as you will be beaten badly on combat res). Either the hero murderkills whatever touches him, or the sorcerer blows up stuff on the way in. The extra marauders can also be insurance in case he flanks you, as a counterflank (or just bait, whatever you feel like)

Walgis
08-07-2010, 18:28
why hrone? why not nurgle? nurgle makes them far more deadlyer than hrone IMHO.

Havock
08-07-2010, 18:29
Why, and how?

theSkullduggery1
08-07-2010, 18:33
a lv2 sorcerer of tzeentch with spell familiar totals 155pts, for a grand total of 497pts. You could alternatively take an exalted (for example, exalted with mount, mark of khorne, halberd and shield for 150pts).

You are forgetting that you can only use 25% of your points on heroes, which in a 500 pt battle is just 125pts...I think the Sorcerer is the way to go, a level two with MoS could get off a few good spells for exactly 125 pts.

Oberon
08-07-2010, 18:43
Why take a mark, when BRB spells are better and? Especially with slaanesh I think you would be better off unmarked. Going unmarked is also cheaper, leaving a couple of points for magic items (of course you don't have to use all your hero allowance either, so cheaper=more marauders for example).

theSkullduggery1
08-07-2010, 18:53
MoS=5pts on a Sorcerer, which is 1 Marauder...also Lash of Slaanesh and Titillating Delusions could help keep the enemy units that you don't want to strike flanks farther away for a longer time. While Ecstatic Seizures is a great spell with units becoming larger this edition (maybe not in 500 pt battles).

I just realized that MoT + Spell familiar is the same amount of points as going level 2...so a lvl 1 Sorcerer can still get +2 to cast/dispell, but also select 2 spells from the Tzeentch lore! I think that is my new choice I'd go with.

HampMan
08-07-2010, 21:40
So it seems that going horde marauders isn't the optimal setup. so, what would you people thin would be the best setup for chaos in 8th ed?

shortlegs
09-07-2010, 00:44
Khorne marauders of doom in horde formation are the way to go in 8th.. just maybe not when you're playing 500pts only.

jet_palero
09-07-2010, 00:51
Extra problem - you have to have a minimum of 3 units not including characters. Therefore you can't stick in a couple of marauder cav units to provide useful units (because your characters are so expensive).

Why does he need 3 units?

shortlegs
09-07-2010, 00:53
Why does he need 3 units?
He's still thinking of 7th ed.. Can't blame him, I'm kinda missing it too myself.. :D

Oberon
09-07-2010, 05:59
You need 3+ units in 8ed too, only they don't all have to be core. Just as long the 25%+ core requirement is filled, the rest can be taken elsewhere. So a WoC "army" with one huge block of warriors, and a couple big units of knights, and a dragon lord would qualify as a 2k army. over 500p of warriors, under 1k knights, and under 500 heroes (360p dragon), hopefully there's enough points for the lord too...

HampMan
09-07-2010, 13:52
Can someone maybe post a good 500 point list that you can build on later to 1000 and forward?

kramplarv
09-07-2010, 13:54
2*20 marauders, gw, mok, fc
5 warhounds
sorcerer of whatever
5 knights

giver or take around 50-60 pts.