PDA

View Full Version : Lore of Shadow and Miscasts

Mr_Rose
08-07-2010, 23:10
OK, so the Lore Attribute for the Lore of Shadow says that, "immediately after a shadow spell is successfully cast and resolved" the shadow wizard can swap places with someone.
Now, what I want to know is; does the swap happen before or after you roll for miscast damage?

I'm leaning toward before, because of that "immediately after" line, whereas the line that tells you when a miscast occurs says "once a spell has resolved" or thereabouts; immediately sounds more urgent than once, to me.

I ask because it seems to be possible that, if this is indeed the case, you could negate much of the worst effects of a miscasting shadow mage by having him swap places with some random Joe standing in the open behind him, relegating the magical fireworks to singing the wizard's beard and maybe a few innocent blades of grass.

HellRaid
08-07-2010, 23:15
I remember asking something similar to do with Lore of Life - do you gain a wound before or after you take a S10 hit from the miscast?

I managed to look it up though. Spells and their effects are completed before you roll on the miscast table, so it means that Lore of Life wizards on their own can't be killed by miscasts (as they'll always gain a wound first), Lore of Death wizards that gain power dice from wounds caused can still have those power dice drained by a miscast, and Lore of Shadows wizards can switch places before they explode.

fall3nang3l
08-07-2010, 23:20
Those poor blades of grass... They will be missed

Mr_Rose
08-07-2010, 23:31
Those poor blades of grass... They will be missed
Only the innocent ones, of course. As every good witchblade huter knows, most of them are warpstone-tainted devils in disguise. As the new rules for terrain clearly state. :p

mightyzombie
09-07-2010, 04:59
so it means that Lore of Life wizards on their own can't be killed by miscasts (as they'll always gain a wound first)

The 2-4 miscast result will still have a chance of killing the wizard, no matter how many wounds he has, since after the damage is resolved you roll a dice and on a result of 3 or less the wizard is simply removed as a casualty. Other than that you seem to be correct.

Kugruk
09-07-2010, 05:50
So many more possibilities just opened up...

mightyzombie
09-07-2010, 06:11
So many more possibilities just opened up...

Silence, you. The lizard-things are bad-bad enough without new shiny lore-spells.