PDA

View Full Version : Level 0 Wizards?

HellRaid
08-07-2010, 23:25
I was reading the rulebook the other day, and came across an interesting point.

There is a result on the new miscast table that removes D3 magic levels and spells from the wizard that miscast. However, the result itself does not state that wizards reduced to level 0 or less cease to remain wizards.

This could mean that these pseudo-wizards may still channel power and dispel dice, and may still cast spells if they have any left (if they were a Loremaster, for example). Obviously with no bonuses to cast though.

I get a distinct feeling that a Level 0 Wizard is not supposed to count as a Wizard any more, but I didn't notice anything on my read-through that specifically said so. Can anyone confirm or refute this theory?

mightyzombie
09-07-2010, 04:53
Huh. I don't actually see anything that would indicate that either. On pg 28 it says that "Models that can cast spells are known collectively as Wizards" and "Wizards have a level from 1 to 4." I don't know if we're supposed to infer from this that a Wizard without a level between 1 and 4 is no longer a wizard, or if it's just intended to be speaking in very general terms. It doesn't also say that having a Wizard level of 0 makes the model incapable of casting spells and, since being able to cast spells is the only real definition of Wizard that I can find, that would technically make it still a wizard.

My guess is that a wizard whose level is reduced to 0 SHOULDN'T be able to cast spells any more, but it doesn't seem to actually say that anywhere, so it may be that they intended for wizards reduced to level 0 to continue casting spells and counting as wizards, but it could just as easily have been left out.

I'd say to play it as written until a FAQ says otherwise. With all the things that have changed with the new edition, we have no reason to believe that this isn't one of them.

Toads77
09-07-2010, 04:54
It states in the beginning of the book at if any stat is reduced/started at 0 then you have no ability in that skill. This may or may not be correct for wizard levels, but it feels correct, probably best wait till the FAQ comes out, but that is how I would play it.

mightyzombie
09-07-2010, 05:10
It states in the beginning of the book at if any stat is reduced/started at 0 then you have no ability in that skill. This may or may not be correct for wizard levels, but it feels correct, probably best wait till the FAQ comes out, but that is how I would play it.

While I agree that Wizards of level 0 probably shouldn't be able to cast, I believe the section you are referring to is specifically talking about Characteristics, of which Wizard Level is not one.

Oberon
09-07-2010, 06:28
"Wizards have a level from 1 to 4." Therefore, level 0 isn't a wizard.

Jagosaja
15-07-2010, 18:59
Ok, what about Nehekharan Sphynx? It gives a non-wizard character the ability Loremaster(Death). It does not say anything about his level, so it has no point really if a level 0 wizard can't do anything.

Lord Zarkov
15-07-2010, 19:30
Ok, what about Nehekharan Sphynx? It gives a non-wizard character the ability Loremaster(Death). It does not say anything about his level, so it has no point really if a level 0 wizard can't do anything.
Exactaly, the rules for the Sphynx even say that the ability is useless for a non-wizard