PDA

View Full Version : Do Tyranids buzz ?

cornonthecob
09-07-2010, 08:55
All tyranids have spiracles, it is one fo the few consistent things about them.

Spiracles are used on bees to buzz though , does this mean that Tyranids could buzz as a form of communication or warning , or just generally ?

Tak
09-07-2010, 09:12
I would say that depends on what kind of combat stimms are inside of someone that they eat.;)

IvanTih
I don't think so because Nids aren't insects and they have better means of communication.

mob16151
I kind of imagine they sound like vuvuzelas. It would be cool. But I'm not a Tyranid guy, so who knows.

Tonberry
09-07-2010, 09:15
They're generally described (sound wise) by the noise of the carapace bits clanking together (in Ravenor & Ciaphus Cain at least) and not much else.

Tak
09-07-2010, 09:38
I can imagine a tyranid battlefield having an awesome sound to it, a myriad of different sounds: the sound that 100,000 bulls would make as they stomped across the ground, the hissing, fizzing and popping of bio-weapons going off, the buzzing of gargoyles and similar creatures and the stupendously powerful roars of trygons and hive tyrants.

I can picture the tyranid host as a whole just swarming over enemy tanks and such in a similar way to that green ghostly legion of soldiers from The Lord of the Rings (I forget their name) swarmed over those huge mammoths. And just as the tank disappears below the tyranid mass, it explodes catastrophically and sends pieces of tyranid flying everywhere before settling down as the mass of xeno flesh continues on it's rampage.

I say 'awesome' but if I was actually there then I would probably have a rather different turn of phrase along the lines of "err....err.........err.......AAAAAAGH!......err... (giggle)...AAAAGH!...

Herman the Heathen
09-07-2010, 11:13
As I played Starcraft for countless hours I kinda been influenced bu the various sounds of the Zergs...could be worse I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVL90tleRWY&feature=related

Londinium
09-07-2010, 13:01
I've always imagined they sound like a horde of locusts descending on something. So a high pitched constant chattering and buzzing that just merges to form one droning sound.

Vampiric16
18-07-2010, 15:48
I remember there was a short story where a guardsman noted how quiet they were compared to other races; with the exception of hisses and growls from larger creatures they were mostly silent.

MajorWesJanson
18-07-2010, 23:00
I kind of imagine they sound like vuvuzelas. It would be cool. But I'm not a Tyranid guy, so who knows.

I agree. That would be awesome. Mix in roars of larger nids, and other noises from the bio weapons, and screeching.

Enough Lasguns from a distance manage to sound like wind after all.

Lord-Gen Bale Chambers
19-07-2010, 00:00

Damn. I was going to make a vuvuzela joke when I saw this.

I imagine they make a wide variety of noises depending on the Hive Fleet. I do know that the Hive Tyrants sound like Gilbert Godfrey. That is what powers their "shadows in the warp" abilities. :p

azimaith
19-07-2010, 00:04
Tyranid Spiracles are for breathing from what I've read. They don't buzz to communicate as they are all connected to a gestalt psychic network which is rather more efficient than buzzing.

In any case they do make other noises, hisses, roars, ect.

qsd
19-07-2010, 09:32
They communicate telepathically through the Hive Mind so physically generated means aren't needed.
From what I've read, they're fairly quiet. Most of their noise is from movement and weapons with some hisses/growls/roars here and there.