PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnian- Banner of the Lady

Redscare
09-07-2010, 09:18
The Banner of the Lady is worded "All enemy units... get no combat bonus for ranks." Now, a Bretonnian player at my store claims that this applies to a huge variety of things. Here is his interpretation.

The Banner of the Lady ignores combat bonus for ranks... meaning that whatever unit is in combat with the Banner of the Lady unit cannot claim attacks made by models in subsequent ranks. Only the 1st, front, rank may attack.

IE, by his definition, the Horde bonus is ignored. Spears is ignored. HE Martial Prowess is ignored. Even the 8th edition rule all infantry attack in 2 ranks is ignored. Hell, I would imagine by this interpretation, not even the 1st rank can attack, since well... the first rank is still a rank right? And attacking the enemy is "combat bonus" right? :eyebrows:

IMHO, I think this interpretation is so out of wack that any FAQ or erratas seem unlikely, but again I could be wrong.

Ultimate Life Form
09-07-2010, 09:28
This is of course nonsense because the extra attacks are no combat bonus for ranks but caused by the support attacks rule. This rule is always there even if no further ranks exist. Combat bonus is things granted by the presence of ranks themselves, aka Combat resolution.

What is debatable is if the steadfast rule for more ranks will still apply though.

Shazzam6
09-07-2010, 10:22
If steadfast is combat bonus created via out-ranking, then tBotLady would ignore it, otherwise... increase your bus-size!

Orcboy_Phil
09-07-2010, 15:53
This is of course wrong. The only thing that it would effect except combatres is the steadfast rule as pointed out above.

McBaine
09-07-2010, 15:56
It doesnt work that way, and I'm saying this as a Bretonnia player.
You ignore combat resolution from enemy rank bonus, thats all.
The Banner is overpriced for what it does. I'm not sure if it has an effect on steadfast because i got no book at this time, but my guess is "no" because negating ranks via flank/rear charge doesn't negate steadfast either.

Redscare
09-07-2010, 19:18
Thanks for confirming what I suspected.

However, ignoring the Steadfast rule actually sounds very plausible. The enemy needs for ranks than you to be granted this rule, and since the banner ignores combat bonus for ranks, I can see this working.