PDA

View Full Version : Cannons firing through multiple units

shelfunit.
09-07-2010, 09:28
I don't have the rule book, so sorry if this is a stupid question.

In many of the games I have played cannon balls have passed through one unit entirely and then continued to plow through a unit behind. As cannons now apparently function like bolt throwers - reducing strength as they tear through the ranks - what happens when an example like my story occurs? Do the new unit's first rank take damage as if nothing has happened, ie Str 10, or does the strength reduction, applied going through the first unit, ie Str 6 if the ball has already gone through 3 ranks take effect?

Mr_Rose
09-07-2010, 10:28
Where'd you hear that?
Cannon work just like they always have, except that "small" cannon do D6 wounds instead of D3 and you don't guess the range any more.

shelfunit.
09-07-2010, 10:54
Where'd you hear that?
Cannon work just like they always have, except that "small" cannon do D6 wounds instead of D3 and you don't guess the range any more.

In all of the rumours over the last few weeks... If the cannon works exactly the same then count me happy :)

Mr_Rose
09-07-2010, 11:04
In all of the rumours over the last few weeks... If the cannon works exactly the same then count me happy :)
Huh. I never heard that one...
Anyway, cannon do not lose strength; there is no mention of this at all in their section of the War Machines chapter.
The bounce can be stopped if it hits a wall or the hit fails to kill a monstrous model, but that's not altering the strength value; just the shape of the "template" you're using to determine hits...

shelfunit.
09-07-2010, 11:09
Huh. I never heard that one...
Anyway, cannon do not lose strength; there is no mention of this at all in their section of the War Machines chapter.
The bounce can be stopped if it hits a wall or the hit fails to kill a monstrous model, but that's not altering the strength value; just the shape of the "template" you're using to determine hits...

Fantastic. Thankyou sir, you have put my mind at rest :)

Thanatos_elNyx
09-07-2010, 11:11
As the rumours suggested, you place a marker.
Move it forward X" as shown on the 1st Artillery dice, and then bounce it another Artillery Dice.

The only diff between a Cannon and a Great Cannon now seems to be range.

I am happy, as even though I wasn't bad at guessing ranges, this should make the cannons a lot more accurate. Though I do notice the Misfire table is a bit harsher than before.