PDA

View Full Version : 8th WoC Tzeentch 2000pts

Rirekon
09-07-2010, 12:59
So I'm looking at starting a Chaos Warrior army with the launch of 8th (got my copy yesterday :D) and having always loved the flavour of Tzeentch and the reduced model count of the more elite armies I've come up with the following;

Sorcerer Lord - 395pts
w/ Mark of Tzeentch,
Disc of Tzeentch,
Infernal Puppet,
Golden Eye of Tzeentch,
Book of Secrets

Sorcerer - 155pts
w/ Mark of Tzeentch,
Dispel Scroll,
Third Eye of Tzeentch

Exalted Hero - 171pts
w/ Mark of Tzeentch,
Chaos Steed,
Battle Standard,
Favour of the Gods

19 Chaos Warriors - 354pts
w/ Mark of Tzeentch,
Champion,
Musician,
Standard Bearer

20 Chaos Warriors - 415pts
w/ Mark of Tzeentch,
Champion,
Musician,
Standard Bearer,
Banner of Wrath

9 Chaos Knights - 510pts
w/ Mark of Tzeentch,
Champion,
Musician,
Standard Bearer,
Blasted Standard

The Sorcerer will join the 19 strong unit of Warriors (5 wide ranks) and along with the 20 strong unit will form the flanks of my force. Given the strength of Magic in 8th I'm anticipating quite a few high level wizards will be around for the Sorcerer to borrow spells from.
Meanwhile the Sorcerer Lord will fly around close the blocks of Warriors and target elite enemy units as a priority. Against gunlines he'll advance ahead and target warmachines and try to disrupt the line in by getting behind it.
The Knights will take centre stage and attempt to draw as much fire as possible (they can take it) but I'll probably keep them back until the Warriors get into range unless a juicy target presents itself. I figure they're going to take some casualties from all the shooting so I'll want them supported once it gets messy.

Thoughts and comments please :)

Zangor
09-07-2010, 13:12
Hey there and congratz on choosing the coolest army ever!!!

You might want to read the new errata and FAQ. If you put the book of secrets on your sorc lord he will be reduced to a lvl 1 caster :mad:

Rirekon
09-07-2010, 14:56
Hey there and congratz on choosing the coolest army ever!!!

Haha, thanks :D

You might want to read the new errata and FAQ. If you put the book of secrets on your sorc lord he will be reduced to a lvl 1 caster :mad:

Sorry, what? Well that sucks... Guess I'll just have to replace it with Blood of Tzeentch or something

Zangor
09-07-2010, 19:40
Ok i finally got the time to take a look at your list.

You should consider giving your sorc lord an enchanted shield, that would give him a 1+ armor save!

You wont need full command in all your units. A standard is often a good idea and a champion if you have a character in the unit that you want to protect from challenges, but other then that i would probably just go for the standard.

I would certainly split those knights into two units because only the riders of the second rank gets to attack and only once.

BUT most importantly!!! since you field warriors with the mark of tzeentch it is rather important that you give them shields. Shield + hand weapons gives a 6+ ward save and mark of tzeentch adds one to that. That makes a very tough warrior unit :evilgrin: 3+ armor save AND 5+ ward save!

Hope some of this was helpful

Rirekon
09-07-2010, 22:07
That's great, cheers for the feedback!

silence
09-07-2010, 22:18
Reguards the comments about unit champions protecting your sorcerer from challenges. Remember that you cannot refuse a challenge with the eye of the gods special rule, and that you have to issue a challenge if your able.

Otherwise, looks like a very cool list

Zangor
09-07-2010, 22:24
If a unit champion issues a challenge before the sorcerer does so, wouldnt that offer him protection from hes own urge to issue one?

Zaustus
10-07-2010, 05:47
Definitely give your Tzeentch Warriors shields. That one's a must. Also, as others have mentioned, lose the Book of Secrets, since per the new FAQ it drops you to a level 1. Stupid, but them's the rules. I'd replace it with an Enchanted Shield. A 1+/3++ is pretty darn good.

Also, consider taking the Blood of Tzeentch instead of the Infernal Puppet. It gives you actual miscast prevention (instead of just mitigation). It doesn't let you screw with your opponent's miscasts, but they're all fairly unpleasant now. There's a lot of overlap on the new miscast table, so I think the Puppet has lost some relative value.

I'd consider Bloodcurdling Roar on the Sorcerer Lord. It's a pretty nifty little shooting attack.

I also like the new standard of +1 leadership (Standard of Discipline). It's cheap, and if I understand the rules right, you can put your general in the unit and spread his new Ld9. On that point, you might want to make your level 1 Sorcerer the general if you do that, so you actually get a leadership bubble.

I also have a Tzeentch army, and the setup I'm using for my BSB is Amulet of Preservation (4+ ward), Warrior's Curse (new 5-pt magic sword), shield, Stream of Corruption. The chaos gift is certainly not necessary; it's just extra offense for the first time something dangerous challenges him. Anyway, that setup gives him a 3+/3++ save, and I stick him in a unit of Tzeentch Warriors with shields. I haven't gotten to play with 8th yet though, so we'll see if that's good advice or not!

The Knight unit is huge; I'd drop it down to 6, and move the BSB into a Warrior unit. You only get a single attack from the second rank, so Chaos Knights are a huge waste of points in multiple ranks. I also don't like Knight unit champs. They cost way more points than they're worth. I don't even take Warrior unit champs unless there's a character in the unit I want to protect.

The unit champs do work as protection. The characters have to challenge if able but if you challenge with a unit champ they're not able. Also, the rule merely prevents you from refusing challenges, it doesn't prevent you from accepting with your unit champ.

silence
10-07-2010, 06:16
Zaustus. Thanks for clearing that up for me, I'd always thought it worked differently than that. I'll certainly be getting more out of my characters now. :)

Rirekon
12-07-2010, 14:14
That's some really useful feedback Zaustus, thank you!
I hadn't considered making anyone other than the Lord the General - it always sounded odd having a mere Hero being the commander heh :)

randomkrazy
12-07-2010, 17:18
you should revise the list again and put it up!

Rirekon
12-07-2010, 21:54
Ask and ye shall receive :)

Sorcerer Lord - 400pts
w/ Mark of Tzeentch,
Disc of Tzeentch,
Enchanted Shield,
Blood of Tzeentch,
Golden Eye of Tzeentch,
Bloodcurdling Roar

Sorcerer - 155pts
w/ Mark of Tzeentch,
Dispel Scroll,
Third Eye of Tzeentch

Exalted Hero - 220pts
w/ Mark of Tzeentch,
Shield,
Battle Standard,
Warrior Bane,
Talisman of Preservation

19 Chaos Warriors - 354pts
w/ Mark of Tzeentch,
Shields,
Champion,
Musician,
Standard Bearer

19 Chaos Warriors - 387pts
w/ Mark of Tzeentch,
Shields,
Musician,
Standard Bearer,
Banner of Wrath

6 Chaos Knights - 350pts
w/ Mark of Tzeentch,
Musician,
Standard Bearer,
Blasted Standard

Warshrine - 150pts
w/ Mark of Tzeentch

All of that ends up 4pts shy of 2000, which isn't too bad :) Had a look at that new Standard and it doesn't look like it works on a General (though I could be wrong), nice spot though!

So pretty much the same principles as before but with the added heft of the Warshine sat squat in the centre making its presence felt. I had ~150pts lying around and looking at my options this felt like the best bet, thoughts on it?

captainAurelius
12-07-2010, 22:37
Cool army dude. Warshrine sticks with the theme as well. I think you are right about the banner, don't have the book but remembered this from the tactica thread:

Standard of discipline (3 marauders) +1Ld is nice, although RAW if your general is in the unit he can’t grant his leadership bubble so no Ld9 sorcerors or exalted generals still nice for Ld9 restraint tests for frenzy or for Ld9 steadfast.

Banner of Discipline is a good fit for warriors with MoK for their restrain tests, your blocks are a different beast. I like the banner of wrath on one unit. Have you considered swapping the dispell scroll for a warbanner on the other, it's a nice fit.

Your Socerer Lord costs 380 not 400, I'll be using the same build. Buuut your maths is right so its just a typo.

:yes:

Rirekon
12-07-2010, 22:49
Your Socerer Lord costs 380 not 400, I'll be using the same build. Buuut your maths is right so its just a typo.

Oops, forgot the Bloodcurdling Roar he was supposed to have - fixed it!

Cheers for the feedback, now I just need to get it all together heh :)

randomkrazy
16-07-2010, 01:23
I like the list. I hope magic goes well though. It's definitely better in 8th edition, but I will warn a few miscasts and you might be in trouble against hordy armies. Because ur tzeentch and dont have halberds or numbers, hordes might hold you down and get the best of you.

I might even consider dropping the lord to a level 2 and adding some marauder hordes, if you find combating other hordes a problem.