PDA

View Full Version : Home Word of the Imperial Fist Space Marine Chapter...

Castigator
27-05-2005, 07:38
.. is Terra it seems. :eek:

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but I just stumbled across this.
Having never much interest in the Imperial Fist (yellow just ain't my color), I tended to just scroll by everything that concerened the the yellow marines.

But this is kinda surprising (to me at least)

Anyone got some additional fluff on why the Imperial Fist is recruiting from good ol' Earth? And why the Chapter from the Blue Planet is painting their armour yellow?

Brimstone
27-05-2005, 07:42
They don't have a home planet they are a fleet based chapter.

They may have recruited from Terra in the past but I don't recall them doing so recently.

They do recruit from Necromunda.

Sikkukkut
27-05-2005, 07:57
For a long time after the Heresy the Fists were the official garrison Chapter of Terra - I think the main reason was their expertise at siege and defensive warfare, as well as the symbolism of their role on Terra at the end of the Heresy and Dorn's building of the Golden Throne.

But their homeworld, if it is still listed as Terra, is really a formality. The Fists are fleet-based and travel constantly, leaving a recruiting post on each world they fight over rather than recruiting exclusively from one world or culture the way that, say, the Space Wolves or Blood Angels do.

Rich
27-05-2005, 08:40
They may have recruited from Terra in the past but I don't recall them doing so recently.

They do still recruit from Terra it seems, although they do not maintain a fortress monastery there anymore - Lsander was recruited from Terra, and in his fluff from WD it mentions that the Chaplain who recruited him was on Terra for that purpose, implying that it is a regular occurance for recruits to be taken from Terra. It seems that Phalanx has three regular stops: Terra, Inwit and Necromunda, although it could be that Phalanx goes where it pleases and smaller vessels carry the Imperial Fist Chaplians to those worlds and others where recruitment takes place.

As for Terra being the IFs homeworld, it was, but their fortress monastery was destroyed during the battle for terra and nothing remains of it except for a pillar of rock. From what I understand from the space wolf novels, SMs are viewd with particular distrust on Terra and their permanent presence would probably be discouraged - although of course the GKs are based at Titan anyway, and presumably the Ordo Xenos maintain a cadre of Deathwatch marines there.

Karhedron
27-05-2005, 08:58
Yup, the IFs are based aboard the Phalanx, a mobile battlestation dating from the DaoT. They recruit primarily from Necromunda and from Inwit although the Lysander fluff suggests they do occasionally recruit from Terra.

It should be remember that all the Space Marine legions were founded on Terra at the end of the Age of Strife. It was only later during the Great Crusade that they adopted their current homeworlds (usually that of their Primarch).

Sojourner
27-05-2005, 10:10
Dorn was found on Inwit, an ice world. Whether or not they still maintain a base there I don't know.

Ka'agg
27-05-2005, 14:02
Well I thought that Dorn meet the Emperor in space and presented him with the Phalanx? Or was IA wrong?

Nazguire
05-06-2005, 07:48
Well I thought that Dorn meet the Emperor in space and presented him with the Phalanx? Or was IA wrong?

Indeed, the Index Astartes does state that the Emperor met Dorn up in space. Dorn gave the Emperor the Phalanx, Emperor gave back the Phalanx as a Legion Fortress. If the records say Inwit, then theres a good chance that the Fists simply recruit there more often than say Terra or Necromunda.

Terra in all likelihood is just a symbolic homeworld, symbolic of the job they did protecting it. They did do more than the Blood Angels and White Scars at that siege.

*prepares for lynching by BA and WS players*

Sojourner
05-06-2005, 08:38
Obviously he didn't crash land on Phalanx when he first arrived. His 'touchdown' as it were, was indeed Inwit where presumably he found Phalanx, patched it up and went sailing.

Emperor's Light
05-06-2005, 20:21
The most obvious explanation of Terra being listed as the official homeworld is because the Emperor ordered the Imperial Fists to garrison the Imperial palace, as has been mentioned. Presumably, the Emperor did not countermand his order before he ascended the Golden Throne. Since the Emperor never countermanded his order, and no other person has the authority - not even the high lords - to countermand a direct order from the Emperor, the Imperial Fists nominally retain the duty of garrisoning the Imperial palace. The legion is therefore nominally based on Terra.

Rich
06-06-2005, 11:05
The main reason that terran is listed as the Fist's homeworld is probably because they had a fortress monastery there, although it was destroyed in the heresy - I don't think any other Legions had a fortress monastery on terra.

Sons of Russ
08-06-2005, 20:16
Yes, but I think the loss of the fortress monastery is tempered by the fact that we live on a Star War's Deathstar!!! :)

Karhedron
08-06-2005, 20:32
the Imperial Fists nominally retain the duty of garrisoning the Imperial palace. The legion is therefore nominally based on Terra.
Actually the Adeptus Custodes are the Guardians of the Imperial Palace. The IFs link to Terra is historical and symbolic. Their Fortress Monastery is based in space and they recruit primarily from Inwit and Necromunda. According to the novel "Space Marine", the Phalanx has a patrol route through the Necromunda sector that takes decades to complete. However their fleet can carry the Chapter pretty much whever they need to go.

athamas
08-06-2005, 21:13
THe IF have a standing garison/temple/chapel on necromunda, its mentiond in much of the necromunda fluff!

If you think about it its the perfect training ground for new recruits!

Sons of Russ
08-06-2005, 23:13
Pretty sure they have something on Armegeddon as well. Not a true fortress in itself, but a chapter monastery.

Something about Dorn not wanting vassals, but recruits.

I would KILL to find Space Marine somewhere. It's extremely hard to find. Amazon lists a battered copy for about $65 US! (a regular paperback that probably went for $8 retail back in 1993)

Rich
09-06-2005, 13:32
Try ebay. Thats where I got mine - cost me about 35, but definately worth it!!!

If the Imperial Fists maintain the tradition of establishing chapter keeps on worlds that they reclaim/conquer then they could well have a fortress on Armageddon - personally i doubt it though. They do undertake crusades, but I think a lot of that part of the Chapter has been toned down, and the Imperial Fists represent the sound tactitian side of Dorn's nature, not the fiery zealot (BTs) or goody two-shoes (CFs).

unwanted
08-09-2005, 22:08
Am I the only one thinking it odd to recruit from Terra?

How in the name of the Golden Throne would the illustrious Imperial Fists make warriors out of the sons of scribes and adepts?

FRS
09-09-2005, 08:02

How in the name of the Golden Throne would the illustrious Imperial Fists make warriors out of the sons of scribes and adepts?

Why not, a children is a children, if you train then early enough (as all Chapter do) they will be physically fit, the rest is "just" a matter of indoctriment (sp ?).

Sai-Lauren
09-09-2005, 12:37

Because Terra is the ultimate hive-world - it's virtually one massive city (akin to Coruscant). Add in the non-administratum people living and working there - you still need people to unload cargo from frieghters, fix the plumbing, then there's troops for the Navigator houses security forces, Terran guard regiments (if you believe they exist) and so on.

Shibboleth
09-09-2005, 19:06
I think their IA says they left Terra because they wanted to actually be out there fighting the good fight, instead of sitting on their butts at home base (or maybe that was the Horus Heresy entry?)

Nazguire
09-09-2005, 23:02

I believe that they would take recruits out of the many many pilgrims that get there, like Lysander. Taking children that have fought tooth and nail from one side of the galaxy to the other is just as viable as the children that eat Megasaur steak for dinner.

Minister
10-09-2005, 00:47
Particularly if the child was born and raised by those dedecated to His Imperium, and continued their pilgrimage when they could not. A boy who can survive that will be perfectmaterial for the recriutment officers.

Nazguire
10-09-2005, 10:36
Particularly if the child was born and raised by those dedecated to His Imperium, and continued their pilgrimage when they could not. A boy who can survive that will be perfectmaterial for the recriutment officers.

Ala Lysander.

Something about a little boy surviving the trip to Terra plagued by pirates, aliens and other things deserves a mention to the Chaplain. Hence why he was recruited...?

emperorpenguin
11-09-2005, 00:23
And the earliest battle honour of the Imperial Fists legion is "Roma"

Nazguire
11-09-2005, 08:10
And the earliest battle honour of the Imperial Fists legion is "Roma"

That could mean anything with all due respect. Since bastardised Latin is the language of the Imperium, it is quite possible Roma could have meant some distant planet where the men and women wear togas and recite bad poetry all day.

emperorpenguin
12-09-2005, 02:42
That could mean anything with all due respect. Since bastardised Latin is the language of the Imperium, it is quite possible Roma could have meant some distant planet where the men and women wear togas and recite bad poetry all day.

Not in the context of the Index Astartes article, it's clear that it's a reference to a battle fought pre-Great Crusade when the emperor reunifies Terra. Though then you wonder why the Dark Angels, the oldest legion, don't have a similar honour, perhaps they were avoiding the fighting as usual! :p

Emperor's Light
12-09-2005, 05:44
Actually the Adeptus Custodes are the Guardians of the Imperial Palace.

Which doesn't preclude the Imperial Fists from nominally obeying a standing
order from the Emperor that he never countermanded.

See the Imperial Fists IA article.

charlie_c67
12-09-2005, 12:30
Not in the context of the Index Astartes article, it's clear that it's a reference to a battle fought pre-Great Crusade when the emperor reunifies Terra. Though then you wonder why the Dark Angels, the oldest legion, don't have a similar honour, perhaps they were avoiding the fighting as usual! :p

They're only the oldest in the context that Lion El'Jonsson was the first of 20 Primarchs created. Not the first found and probably not the first created.

unwanted
12-09-2005, 16:42
I believe that they would take recruits out of the many many pilgrims that get there, like Lysander. Taking children that have fought tooth and nail from one side of the galaxy to the other is just as viable as the children that eat Megasaur steak for dinner.Ah, gotcha...

Didn't even consider the Pilgrims, thought most of them would be either too old or too crazily devoted (yes, really!) to become Marines...

Sai-Lauren
12-09-2005, 17:25
They're only the oldest in the context that Lion El'Jonsson was the first of 20 Primarchs created. Not the first found and probably not the first created.
I thought the primarchs were created at the same time, but the legions were created sequentially from the DNA of their primarchs that was left behind when they were taken and their primarchs put in command of them when they were recovered. After all, Horus was the first found, and the Luna Wolves/Sons Of Horus were something like #15 IIRC.

The Fists being assigned Earth is probably because the Emperor thought Dorn was more suited to creating it's defences, rather than Johnson, Perturabo, Curze or whoever else had already been found.

charlie_c67
12-09-2005, 22:48
Even if they're created at the same time, they had no name so would've been number 1 to 20.

ryng_sting
13-09-2005, 14:06
They did do more than the Blood Angels and White Scars at that siege.

*prepares for lynching by BA and WS players*

Did they? A third of the Fists were wiped out in a doomed attempt to keep Mars loyal before the Siege; they had their fortress-keep razed by the Iron Warriors, and their Sky Fortress was shot down. While this was happening the White Scars sized back one of the 2 major spaceports - and held it - while the Blood Angels held the Ultimate Gate. Strikes me that, at the very least, they were equals.

Nazguire
14-09-2005, 11:00
Did they? A third of the Fists were wiped out in a doomed attempt to keep Mars loyal before the Siege; they had their fortress-keep razed by the Iron Warriors, and their Sky Fortress was shot down. While this was happening the White Scars sized back one of the 2 major spaceports - and held it - while the Blood Angels held the Ultimate Gate. Strikes me that, at the very least, they were equals.

Their Primarch designed the Imperial Palace, they were the Legion that suffered the most casualties due to their siege-warfare tactics (get in close, dirty and not move back) and the Legion that were one of the two that were teleported with the Emperor to the Battle Barge of Horus. So their is their contributions, though you are right, they were probably equal in the grand scheme of things, though probably suffered the most out of all the Legions.

@ Emperorpenguin, weren't the Space Marine Legions designed and formed AFTER the Primarch's were created? Hence they couldn't have been roaming around before the Emperor united Earth and created the Primarchs.

Brusilov
15-09-2005, 14:29
The Sky Fortress is not the Phalanx, this has been said many times and will have to be seen more I suppose. There is evidence the Phalanx participated in battles after the Heresy (in particular IIRC the one in which Dorn was killed). The Sky fortress was probably one of the major orbital defences of Terra.

While the Emperor had already been experimenting with genetically engineered soldiers, in the form of the Custodes, the Space Marine legions were created after the dispersion of the Primarchs. What exactly was the Emperor's original plan with the Primarch is difficult to say, but the Space Marines were created because the Emperor wanted shock troops in great number and the Primarch project was just too time and energy consuming to be worth starting over from scratch.

ryng_sting
16-09-2005, 19:47
The Sky Fortress is not the Phalanx, this has been said many times and will have to be seen more I suppose.

Such haste. I didn't say that it was; I am quite aware that their death-star stand in, Phalanx, and the Sky Fortress, which the Fists commandeered during the Siege, are two distinct things.

Brusilov
17-09-2005, 00:30
You refer to their Sky Fortress, it was the Sky Fortress, a space station defending Earth it did not belong to the IF. Sorry for the misunderstanding however, your wording could have led to confusion.
My apologies