PDA

View Full Version : Empire noob, 8th 2500

HD300
09-07-2010, 19:27
Toying around with Empire lists. I don't really like the models, but I really like the rules.

Army is meant to punch things in the face, really. My magic phase will be pretty good with 6 potential bound spells/Metal spells.

Wizard takes Lore of Metal.

Knights are my counter charge element, as well as my two beastly Altars. I seriously love the hell out of these things, they're incredibly good.

Pie templates everywhere - Drop that crap on all those fatty bricks.

Lack of cannons, but whatever. I have enough great weapons I don't really care about monsters.

Here we go.

2497/2500

Lord

Arch Lector of Sigmar
War Altar
Great Weapon
Armour of Meteoric Iron
Van Horstmann's Speculum

Arch Lector of Sigmar
War Altar
Great Weapon
Dawn Armor

Heroes

Battle Wizard L2
Dispel Scroll

Core 655

30x Flagellant Warband
Prophet of Doom 10

5x Knightly Order
Great Weapons

5x Knightly Order
Great Weapons

5x Knightly Order
Great Weapons

Special

Mortar

Mortar

30x Greatswords
Full Command
Detachment
7x Pistoliers

30x Greatswords
Full Command
8x Pistoliers

Rare 230

Helstorm Rocket Battery

Helstorm Rocket Battery

Comments and constructive criticism please.

Uriain
10-07-2010, 03:53
Unfortunatly you cannot take 2 war alters in a list.. FAQ has deemed it so.

Q. In games involving armies of 3000+ points each, can the Empire
field more than one War Altar? (p53)
A. No.

I personally think that your list is not very balanced. It seems to me, that you are trying to stock up on the "power house" units and skirt around having anything else.

Imo, the Knightly orders will be removed with one decent phase of shooting/magic, as 15 guys is not alot. I would try and fit in 2 units of 15 for some heavy handed hitting. or three units of 12 even (gives you extra bodies for wounds)

Flaggelents and greatswords are good, my friend who plays Empire uses them all the time, but I dont think they will make it across the field with the proper numbers (unless facing a magic/shooting light list) If you can I would beef those up as well.

Lastly, while I see that you say "I dont really like the models" empire spearmen/halberds with detachments are a great mainstay unit so your heavy hittings (knights/elite infantry) can crash into your enemy and do the woulds that are needed

Again just an opinion though

o0-NattyMcFatty-0o
10-07-2010, 21:33
one to two cannons are also a bit of a neccesity with empire, they're the only effective ways of killing monsters and other very destructive units.

HD300
11-07-2010, 07:47
Made some changes. Made it more elite, tried to keep the fire power up while making sure it still hit like a bus in melee with a strong magic/dispel phase.

I don't really like the look of the Swordsmen in it, any suggestions?

2497/2500

Lord 521

Arch Lector of Sigmar 286
War Altar 100
Great Weapon 6
Armour of Meteoric Iron 25
Van Horstmann's Speculum 30

Wizard Lord L4 235
Dispel Scroll

Core 825

30x Flagellant Warband 310
Prophet of Doom 10

30x Swordsmen 205
Full Command 25
Detachment
10x Handgunners 80

5x Knightly Order 115
Great Weapons

5x Knightly Order 115
Great Weapons

Special 551

Mortar 75

Mortar 75

Mortar 75

11x Knights of the Inner Circle 326
Full Command 40
Great Weapons

Rare 600

Steam Tank 300

Steam Tank 300

ROCKY
11-07-2010, 08:22
why on earth are u taking GWs on your knights, ur reducing their armor save, striking last, and they are small units, i would take 1-2 units of 10 (ur second rank can attack) and give them lances, S6 on the charge 13 attacks with a champion, and next turn u get ur 1+armor save, and if their inner circle S4 attaccks.

Lord Solar Plexus
11-07-2010, 15:27
With I3 those knights are striking last often enough for it not to be much of an issue and they'll be S5/6 with GW as well.

HD300
11-07-2010, 15:37
why on earth are u taking GWs on your knights, ur reducing their armor save, striking last, and they are small units, i would take 1-2 units of 10 (ur second rank can attack) and give them lances, S6 on the charge 13 attacks with a champion, and next turn u get ur 1+armor save, and if their inner circle S4 attaccks.

You're a funny guy. Enjoy never striking first with your I3 Knights.

If they were I4, I'd stick with Lance and Shield. They just aren't able to hit anything that matters first.

thesheriff
11-07-2010, 16:51
Cannons, not Mortars. Cannons are awosome ofr sniping Charecters. As long as you hit, you usually wound and take d6 wounds of Charecter. Great against captains, wizrads etc

thesheriff

HD300
11-07-2010, 17:12
Cannons, not Mortars. Cannons are awosome ofr sniping Charecters. As long as you hit, you usually wound and take d6 wounds of Charecter. Great against captains, wizrads etc

thesheriff

I'll stick with my mortars and win games. Direct hit from a Mortar is 25 hits - Empire doesn't have the ability to bump and grind horde units with their specials - They aren't Elves/Chaos. You really need those pie plates to soften everything up.

If it turns out that I really need to jam 5 cannons total in a list I will, but I highly doubt it.

thesheriff
11-07-2010, 17:24
Fair enough, but i would still consider at least 1 cannon. They are very good at killing charecters

HD300
11-07-2010, 17:28
I have two on Steam Tanks :)

thesheriff
11-07-2010, 17:50
Ah, did'nt see that, my bad. Then, a very good and competetive list

thesheriff

HD300
12-07-2010, 05:04
Ah, did'nt see that, my bad. Then, a very good and competetive list

thesheriff

Thank you.

I know it's pretty lame running 2 Stanks and an Altar, but who cares? Other armies can do worse stuff.

Need help sorting out my core. Should I combine the Swordsmen/Knights into one fat Knight unit? Not sure if it's better - I don't think so but looking for opinions.

ROCKY
14-07-2010, 09:31
You're a funny guy. Enjoy never striking first with your I3 Knights.

If they were I4, I'd stick with Lance and Shield. They just aren't able to hit anything that matters first.

on the contrary, lizardmen, orcs, ogres, undead (except vampires) are all slower, what you are doing is giving them the option of hitting first. and +1 armor save does make the difference. i dont know if u know what competitive play is but in a tough game you will need all the advantages. so in any case, unless u charge a bunch of S3 enemies, lance and shield have way more benefits that a great weapon. and yes sometimes i am funny, but sometimes there is more experience in what i say.

HD300
14-07-2010, 09:56
on the contrary, lizardmen, orcs, ogres, undead (except vampires) are all slower, what you are doing is giving them the option of hitting first. and +1 armor save does make the difference. i dont know if u know what competitive play is but in a tough game you will need all the advantages. so in any case, unless u charge a bunch of S3 enemies, lance and shield have way more benefits that a great weapon. and yes sometimes i am funny, but sometimes there is more experience in what i say.

SOME Orcs, SOME Ogres, and SOME VCs.

I shouldn't have to explain to you why "Taking every advantage I can get" for certain situations against certain lists that may or may not have destroys the advantages I get with Great Weapons against everyone else. 1+ Armor Save is a big deal, and I'm not knocking it - I just care more about consistency and being able to always rely on something.

I don't want this to be an argument over your opinion on something versus mine, so let's just leave it at that. I don't like having large variables that screw me against certain armies and only give me marginal advantages against others - That's not how I play.

Lord Solar Plexus
14-07-2010, 13:05

Cannon are NOT great at sniping characters. They usually have a 2+ save against them. Cannon are ideal for taking out big monsters, deamons, Doomwheels and such.

I know it's pretty lame running 2 Stanks and an Altar, but who cares? Other armies can do worse stuff.

I care. Other armies can bring extremely nasty stuff but do the players in your area actually do that? If not, why wake sleeping hounds?

Other than that, I'm playing around with large'ish and smaller knight units myself at the moment. I think they both have advantages, although they obviously fulfill different roles. The large unit hits relatively hard and can fight on its own if it must while smaller ones will support other units. Losing a large unit to some unfortunate turn of events is...uhm, unfortunate. I do like to handsomely win combats on the charge but I also like redundancy...it IS a difficult decision.

on the contrary, lizardmen, orcs, ogres, undead (except vampires) are all slower, what you are doing is giving them the option of hitting first.

Don't forget Dwarves. Yes, you are right but with stepping up they will often get to hit you regardless. Hammers do have their uses in other circumstances, as you won't break units on the charge all the time. Hitting a unit in the flank also means that the number of attacks isn't so high while your knights get supporting attacks.

Lances or hammers is a bit like chosing the right lore...

i dont know if u know what competitive play is

Never heard about that.