PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elf FAQ

chivalrous
09-07-2010, 23:07
I figure there are going to be a fair few questions cropping up for the FAQ's for every race and it might be an idea to have dedicated threads for each, just to gather everything in the same place.

So Here's one for the Dark Elves :)

I've got a few questions:

1)Ring of Hotek states

"Any Wizard (friend or foe) attempting to cast a spell within 12" of the wearer"
Now does the casting wizard need to be within 12" or just the effect of the spell?

2)Can a revealed Assassin use the cloak of twilight to teleport another character? (this wasn't really answered in the last edition either).

3)Does the Darkstar Cloak have to be activated at the beginning of the magic phase or can you wait until part way through (important if you generate 12 power dice)

theunwantedbeing
10-07-2010, 00:01
1. One or the other it seems, going off the question on page 3 of the DE FAQ as area of effect spells hitting models in range of the ring will trigger it.

2. Yup, always has been allowed to as per the Steed of Shadows Spell wordings (both 7th and 8th ed).

3. It's a passive effect so it generates it at the start of the turn immediately after the winds of magic dice have been rolled for.

Nathaniel
10-07-2010, 00:34
Anything targeted within 12' of the ring will cause any double on the casting of the spell to be a roll on the miscast table.

Don't see how spells that were previously cast and not dispelled would be affected. Things like purple sun would probably be affected if you were aiming at within the 12' but it isn't entirely clear.

Draconian77
10-07-2010, 00:59
That's putting it mildly. :D Although the wording is unclear, I think that it functions as before...it doesn't help that the German FAQ had something about "targetted" though.

I_spam_D13
10-07-2010, 01:13
yup, you can use it like steed of shadow.

Archangelion
10-07-2010, 01:21
1- I would say it is both spells that effect models within the range of the ring and wizards within range of the ring.

2 - I would say that you can teleport a character with the assassin, noteing that you may only do so if the assassin is revealed already.

3 - You can't decide when the dice is added to your pool. It is added when your pool is generated.

Kalandros
10-07-2010, 03:51
Purple sun starts at the base of the caster, thus it does not trigger the ring even if it ends up moving toward the ring because the spell has already been cast succesfully. Of course if the caster is close enough it will trigger the ring.

Uriain
10-07-2010, 04:03
Max power dice of 12 per turn:

Does that mean once you hit 12 dice, you cannot generate anymore

OR

You can only have up to 12 in your hand at one time

Very important distiniction I think, especially if you roll high for PD generated, use a bunch, then want to continue to cast.

SilasOfTheLambs
10-07-2010, 04:45
Uriain, as I recall the rule it's pretty clear... your pool cannot contain more than 12 dice. That means, for example, if you cast a lore of death spell using 7 dice (let's say that's all you had), do a pile of wounds, and then roll a bunch of 5+'s, you can go all the way back up to 12 dice. It's unlikely, but the rules do permit it.

Archangelion
10-07-2010, 10:56
You can use the Power of Darkness spell to 'regenerate' power dice in your pool, but you may never exceed 12 power dice in your pool at any given time. This is not to be mistaken with 12 power dice total over the entire course of your magic phase. Think of it more like a speed limit. You may go 12 PW per magic phase. Once you cast a spell, you are going less than the limit, so you can speed up if you want, so long as you don't exceed the limit.

Speeders will be procecuted!

Gazak Blacktoof
10-07-2010, 13:14
Are repeater handbows different now or has the change in the FAQ simply standardised the rules to match those in the BRB?

theunwantedbeing
10-07-2010, 13:21
Are repeater handbows different now or has the change in the FAQ simply standardised the rules to match those in the BRB?

Apart from now suffering long range penalties (as do all things now it seems), no changes.

Gazak Blacktoof
10-07-2010, 13:33
Well that sucks, I thought they might be able to march and shoot or something tasty like that- at least you get 2 ranks shooting.

chivalrous
10-07-2010, 13:57
Well that sucks, I thought they might be able to march and shoot or something tasty like that- at least you get 2 ranks shooting.

It has the 'Quick to Fire'. not having the rulebook yet I'm not sure exactly what that is but I'm assuming it means that they can still stand and shoot at charging models starting from within their M value.

SideshowLucifer
10-07-2010, 14:01
Yeah, thats 20 shots if your 5 wide as a charge reaction. You can add the AP banner and its like having short-ranged repeating xbows then.

theunwantedbeing
10-07-2010, 14:05
Yeah, thats 20 shots if your 5 wide as a charge reaction. You can add the AP banner and its like having short-ranged repeating xbows then.

Although unless the other guy is within 4" of you thats 6's you'll be needing to hit with.
bs4
-1 for charging enemy
-1 for multiple shots
-1 for long range

Pretty poor to be honest.

sturguard
10-07-2010, 14:25
The FAQ on repeater handbows says to ignore the second paragraph (in the army book) which states "repeater handbows require very little...", it does not say to ignore the first paragraph which states-"repeater handbows do not suffer the usual to hit penalties for shooting at long range or for moving and shooting"- am I correct on this? Does anyone know what the Quick to Fire rule says? If indeed we are looking at 6's to hit, it really dimishes the value of corsairs with handbows, even if you have a 7 man frontage with 28 shots, you only hit 4-5 and wound 1-2 depending on toughness, and then armor saves make it obviously less than that. Now if we are hitting on 5's and at least getting 9 hits, it might make it more worthwhile.

Also, does anyone know how war machines move- now that the cauldron is a warmachine, does it move at the death hags movement of 5+2d6 each turn?

Thanks

theunwantedbeing
10-07-2010, 14:28
Oh, my mistake.
I'm glad I missed that :)

So no long range or moving penalties when rolling to hit.
So they're needing 5's when they stand and shoot, swift reform lets them march and shoot which is handy (although crossbowmen can also do this).

The couldren is the same as it was before mostly.
It cannot march or even charge, so only moves upto 5" a turn.

sturguard
10-07-2010, 14:34
I was rereading the FAQ today and noticed on the last page:
"Do area of effect spells miscast on a double if they affect any model within 12" of the Ring of Hoteck?"

Yes
I don't know the game very well yet and certainly not all the spells, but it seems pretty clear that if a wizard casts a spell within 12" of the ring or an area spell is cast that affects a dark elf model within 12" of the ring than the ring's powers take effect.

etancross
10-07-2010, 14:36
the quick to fire rule:

Quick to fire weapons do not suffer the usual -1 to Hit penalty for moving and shooting. We assume that the wielders can aim and fire them swiftly enough to remain accurate. Quick to fire weapons can always be used to stand and shoot against a charging enemy even if the enemy would usually be be too close for such a charge reaction to be declared.

I changed the wording a bit as to not "Quote directly" from the book...

Anyone have anything else from the book you would like me to look up/clear up? I have mine right here and all im doing is making up some lists to go to my LGS for some gaming today....

so hit me up while you can

sturguard
10-07-2010, 14:38
Following up with my last post:
So if I read the FAQ's correctly, if a spell caster casts a magic missile at a unit and is outside 12" of the ring, the spell goes off without a hitch. If however, I cast an area of effect spell from 24" away from the ring but it hits a unit that is within 12" of the ring, I still have to suffer any potential effects from doubles just as if I was casting the spell from within the 12" bubble. Is that correct and if so, how are people misunderstanding the rules?

ClockworkCorsair
10-07-2010, 14:40
It says if a wizard casts or targets a spell but what about bound items or other magic items. Maybe I missed this when it was discussed back when the book first launched but thought it was worth bringing up.

sturguard
10-07-2010, 14:43
In my opinion (which doesn't count for much I know), if the bound spell is a magic missile within 12" of the ring, the effects apply (unless there is something in the BRB about bound spells not being able to miscast), whereas if the bound spell is an area of effect spell it would come in to play if a dark elf model was affected within 12" of the ring.

etancross
10-07-2010, 14:45
In my opinion (which doesn't count for much I know), if the bound spell is a magic missile within 12" of the ring, the effects apply (unless there is something in the BRB about bound spells not being able to miscast), whereas if the bound spell is an area of effect spell it would come in to play if a dark elf model was affected within 12" of the ring.

yea but if a bound spell can't miscast then the only question would be is the item exhausted (user forgets spell) after it gets zinged by the RoH.

Gazak Blacktoof
10-07-2010, 14:57
Oh, my mistake.
I'm glad I missed that :)

So no long range or moving penalties when rolling to hit.
So they're needing 5's when they stand and shoot, swift reform lets them march and shoot which is handy (although crossbowmen can also do this).

Ok well that's good then 4+ to hit normally and 5+ as a stand and shoot. So any unit can march and shoot then so long as it isn't move or fire?

theunwantedbeing
10-07-2010, 15:05
Ok well that's good then 4+ to hit normally and 5+ as a stand and shoot. So any unit can march and shoot then so long as it isn't move or fire?

And as long as they pass their swift reform test by having a musician in the unit, yes.

Archangelion
11-07-2010, 10:32
What about frenzied units. Can they stand and shoot?

SideshowLucifer
11-07-2010, 15:42
I believe, and I'm mainly going off sketchy memory, that immune to psyh units can only receive a charge as a reaction. It may, however, be that they may not take the flee. Don't have the book handy at the moment.

Ovassilias
11-07-2010, 16:10
yea but if a bound spell can't miscast then the only question would be is the item exhausted (user forgets spell) after it gets zinged by the RoH.

bound spells can fail and can also miscast with a different effect.

The DE item states that if u roll any double then u must roll on the miscast table. What happens to the bound item then depends on its nature as explained in the book p37.

If its an item "it crumbles to dust" and cannot used gain, if its an innate ability the model cannot cast any more spells during this phase.

In either case u do not roll on the miscast table but the bound spell is not casted.

Uriain
11-07-2010, 18:33
The way I understand the FAQ on the Ring of Hotek is as follows

1) If a caster is WITHIN 12 inches of the wearer of the ring rolls doubles, they miscast (example: My wizard standing next to the Blackguard Champion with the ring on, who blew herself up)

2) If the Caster Targets a direct damage spell within 12 inch's of the wearer and rolls doubles, they miscast (example: Doom bolt at a unit containing, or within 12 inch's of the ring)

3) If an AoE Spell is targeted within 12 inch's of the wearer and roll doubles, they miscast (example: any spell which has a template target a unit (cant think of any atm..though there is some contention about Black Horror being effected by this)

4) If a AoE spell is cast, but is OUTSIDE the Rings "bubble" the user cannot be effected by rings rule (example: Purple sun from the Death lore is cast, and Starts at the wizard, then moves, so the spell has already been successfully cast)

Now these are just the way I have been playing with the Ring, and have not had any contention on these yet... could be wrong

Maoriboy007
11-07-2010, 20:53

1) If a caster is WITHIN 12 inches of the wearer of the ring rolls doubles, they miscast (example: My wizard standing next to the Blackguard Champion with the ring on, who blew herself up)

2) If the Caster Targets a direct damage spell within 12 inch's of the wearer and rolls doubles, they miscast (example: Doom bolt at a unit containing, or within 12 inch's of the ring)

3) If an AoE Spell is targeted within 12 inch's of the wearer and roll doubles, they miscast (example: any spell which has a template target a unit (cant think of any atm..though there is some contention about Black Horror being effected by this)

4) If a AoE spell is cast, but is OUTSIDE the Rings "bubble" the user cannot be effected by rings rule (example: Purple sun from the Death lore is cast, and Starts at the wizard, then moves, so the spell has already been successfully cast)

Now these are just the way I have been playing with the Ring, and have not had any contention on these yet... could be wrong

It looks to me that a wizardscan safely target a unit inside the rings 12" influence unless he himself is inside that influence at the time of the casting.
It makes the ring still powerful but not broken, a Darke Elf cant get the full benefit from the ring just by sitting back on his @$$, he'll have to move it around a bit. Is there really a big problem with that?

Baindread
11-07-2010, 21:28

I'm basically reiterating what Maoriboy007 said but I agree with him and want to share a few points.
The wording in the FAQ says that if a wizard try to cast a spell within 12" of the ring he will miscast. Note that cast is different from targeting. Also, the answer about AOE is referring to AOE-spells such as "All enemy units within 12" is hit by..." and not PSOX since that is a template spell.

red_zebra_ve
13-07-2010, 00:35
French DE FAQ says "Targeting withing 12 ..."

Also found this, about FAQs V1.1:

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=73972