PDA

View Full Version : [8th ed] Skirmisher questions

Entropolus
09-07-2010, 23:46
Shooting - Am I correct to read that all models in a skirmishing unit can no longer shoot in the shooting phase, only the 1st two ranks? I can find nothing in the new book that specifies that that all models in a skirmishing unit can shoot.

Receiving flank and rear charges - Do skirmishers close up on the middle model of their front rank or of the facing that the the charge is coming from? As written, it looks like the front rank, meaning models would shrink away from a rear or flank charge, distancing them from the charger. Skirmishers close ranks before the charge distance is rolled so this is significant.

Kloud13
10-07-2010, 02:13
Does a Bolt Thrower go through Skirmisher ranks the same way it goes through a normal ranked up unit?

Rolo Ramone
10-07-2010, 02:53
I think "Skirmisher" is one of the WORST rules written. Ever.

diggerydoom
10-07-2010, 10:44
Shooting - Am I correct to read that all models in a skirmishing unit can no longer shoot in the shooting phase, only the 1st two ranks? I can find nothing in the new book that specifies that that all models in a skirmishing unit can shoot.

Receiving flank and rear charges - Do skirmishers close up on the middle model of their front rank or of the facing that the the charge is coming from? As written, it looks like the front rank, meaning models would shrink away from a rear or flank charge, distancing them from the charger. Skirmishers close ranks before the charge distance is rolled so this is significant.

There is nothing to allow a whole unit of skirmishers to shoot.

And yes they do close up around the cnetremost model of the front rank-just as it states in the rule book

diggerydoom
10-07-2010, 10:46
Does a Bolt Thrower go through Skirmisher ranks the same way it goes through a normal ranked up unit?

Yes pg 77 'essentially the only difference is that the models are slightly spaced out'

Being skirmished does give the -1 to hit though to represent the looser formation.

Shadow_Steed
10-07-2010, 13:38
This is so far the only rule I am dissapointed in. =(.

Ultimate Life Form
10-07-2010, 13:45
I agree, Skirmish is a big letdown, they're now basically a type of inferior block. The only great thing is march and shoot which greatly helps my Salamanders.

Rolo Ramone
11-07-2010, 22:45
I have some questions:

Can they shoot in two ranks? What if I put some of my skirmishers on higher bases (third rank, for example)? can they shoot over their pals? Or if I put them on their normal bases, but half of them stand on the left side and the other half on the right side of their bases, can all of them shoot if they can see through the first rank? Or is that cheating?

jet_palero
11-07-2010, 23:37
I have some questions:

Can they shoot in two ranks? What if I put some of my skirmishers on higher bases (third rank, for example)? can they shoot over their pals? Or if I put them on their normal bases, but half of them stand on the left side and the other half on the right side of their bases, can all of them shoot if they can see through the first rank? Or is that cheating?

No, they're a normal unit, with space and the skirmisher rules. They can shoot in two ranks like everyone else, its not a matter of LoS. You space them up in a rectangular formation with space between the bases (like LoTR)

Skirmishers:
Loose formation
Tighten formation on charge (remove spaces), if not in b2b contat with an enemy (wipe them out or they flee) you loosen back up.
unlimited free removes during movement phase, which basically elimiantes the need for wheels.
march and fire with a -1
-1 for enemy's to hit rolls

Kloud13
11-07-2010, 23:57
And I believe they are Stubborn if they are in a forest.

Frosty_TK
12-07-2010, 06:18
Being stubborn in woods? That's not in the basic rules for skirmishers. Is it mentioned in the terrain section?(I havn't reached that part yet)

Atrahasis
12-07-2010, 08:36
They can't have two ranks. They always have zero ranks.

That means everyone is in the first (zeroth) rank, right? They can all shoot :D

Dutch_Digger
12-07-2010, 08:45
They can't have two ranks. They always have zero ranks.

Skirmishers do form up in ranks, just in loose formation.
They do not have zero ranks, they count as having no ranks for certain rules

"Stubborn in woods":
yes thats in the forests section.

Atrahasis
12-07-2010, 08:49
"Skirmishers always count as having zero ranks..."

Seems pretty broad to me.

Dutch_Digger
12-07-2010, 09:02
yet in Skirmishers and Charging, the unit is referred to as lined up in ranks, and if they would not have ranks, how would you count how many supporting attacks you have?

narrativium
12-07-2010, 09:10
If they have zero ranks, then they can't have a first rank in which to put characters. And the first rank can't shoot either, because there isn't one.

Clanrat
12-07-2010, 09:34
@ narrativium...lol hadnt thought of it like that.

@ Atrahasis ... really i mean come on...you cant really be that pedantic???

Its pretty obvious it refers to things like Rank bonus in combat etc, working out ranks for steadfast etc

Going by your interpretation, skirmishers will be more like circus performers, going into battle in human (or whatevers) pyramids, or possibly dont even exist at all.......

jet_palero
12-07-2010, 23:35
Going by your interpretation, skirmishers will be more like circus performers, going into battle in human (or whatevers) pyramids

That might accurately describe wardancers and witch elves though. . .:D