PDA

View Full Version : A few 8th ed questions

Geep
10-07-2010, 03:07
Obviously the new book won't be perfect and there are going to be a few issues in need of an FAQ. Why not start now?

1. Can a scroll, other than a dispel scroll, be used in response to Irresistable Force castings?
Indications are no, but I wouldn't be surprised if some people try to argue.

2. Sivejir's Hex Scroll- when successful, does turning into a toad change the base size of the wizard model? What affect will this have on a wizard riding a mount, monstrous or otherwise?

3. When Sivejir's Hex Scroll is cast on wizard in response to the Lore of Beasts' 'Transformation of Kadon', what is the effect?
a) The wizard turns into a Monster, before turning into a toad and losing the spell's benefits
b) The wizard turns into a toad, but then the transformation completes, turning him into a monster
If the wizard's base size does not change for being a toad, but does change for being a monster (as indicated by the spell), and option 'a' is correct above, does this mean the wizard is now a toad with a very large base size?

4. Can all types of scroll be used against a bound spell?
What are the effects of a Feedback Scroll on a bound item- does it simply injure the holder?
Can a character with no caster levels (common with bound spell weilders) possibly avoid the Sivejir's Hex Scroll effects?

I'm sure there are many more questions like this waiting to appear, so let's gether them all together. Also, if you happen to have a definitive answer (I may easily have overlooked something in that massive book), please feel free to answer a question.

Yrrdead
10-07-2010, 09:01
My question after reading through the book again today is still stuck on Look Out Sir! in regards to magic. I really just want a definitive sentence in the book and I couldn't find it. It seemed to be strongly implied that LoS! still applies to magic but I didn't see where it spells it out. With how many times they put in the parentheses with (template, breath weapon, etc.). You think they could have put a small blurb about magic missiles and/or direct damage. Or included in the sections that describe the different spell types.

If someone could give me a pg number that would be awesome. I could have swore there was a thread about this already but I couldn't find it in rules or general.

theunwantedbeing
10-07-2010, 10:25
1. No, scrolls are used instead of a dispel attempt, your not allowed a dispel attempt when your opponent gets irresistable force.

2. The wizard becomes a toad, if on a mount its no difference, its a mounted toad now :)
If not on a mount the base size gets much smaller.

3. Presumably the spell goes off as normal like with other scrolls and the mage then has to roll equal to or under his now non-existent magic level to avoid turning into a toad. if You have no casting level you cannot roll below it, so it'll be more a case of rolling to see how much you failed by!

diggerydoom
10-07-2010, 10:41
My question after reading through the book again today is still stuck on Look Out Sir! in regards to magic. I really just want a definitive sentence in the book and I couldn't find it. It seemed to be strongly implied that LoS! still applies to magic but I didn't see where it spells it out. With how many times they put in the parentheses with (template, breath weapon, etc.). You think they could have put a small blurb about magic missiles and/or direct damage. Or included in the sections that describe the different spell types.

If someone could give me a pg number that would be awesome. I could have swore there was a thread about this already but I couldn't find it in rules or general.

It is not catagorically stated. However pg 36:
'Many spells inflict hits or wounds on your enemies-you can find out how to resolve these on page 40 of the Shooting Phase.'

To me this implies that spell effects are like shooting and therefore Look Out Sir applies. However until clarification is issued I think that people will try and argue both ways.