PDA

View Full Version : the purple sun of whatever spell

stiggie
10-07-2010, 04:37
hey guys im off to buy mu copy of the book today but i have a question and see how people will interperate it..

the top level death spell (moving pit of shades basically) since its a vortex spell it has to start in base contact with the wizard.. does this mean he will have to take a test too??

i know there will be people around mine who will do it just because it means killing more regardless lol but i wanna grab a majority vote and use what all you guys think

scarletsquig
10-07-2010, 04:55
Going by rules-as-written, yes, he does have to take a test.

The above sentence is the shortened version of the multiple 10+ page flamefest threads on various forums about this topic. This thread might end up adding 1 to that count.

Far more interesting is the fact that I can't think of this spell without also thinking of the tune to the song "Purple People Eater". :)

stiggie
10-07-2010, 06:43
eek never post on warseer while drunk and tired.. i put it in wrong board! sorry mods!

but yee im going to have a proper read it does sound it but i want to see wether template weapons say "under" or "touching" think that will be the deciding point..

and who is that song by?? im going to get it and play it everytime i cast the spell.. pretty much like when i played "i get knocked down, get back up again" song with my necrons =)

Zurubbu
10-07-2010, 06:57
and who is that song by??

Google helps. It's Sheb Wooley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9H_cI_WCnE

stiggie
10-07-2010, 06:59
it was a one eyed one horned purple people eater?? theres my inspiration for a vortex marker :D

Yrrdead
10-07-2010, 08:02
No , when you actually get a look at the book and read the rules on magical vortices , it is pretty clear on how you place the template . Though in this specific case a misfire on the artillery dice will cause a test, for the wizard and a large portion of whatever unit he/she is in.

Thanatos_elNyx
10-07-2010, 08:52
Magical Vortices start by being "placed in base contact with the caster"
Purple Sun causes an Inititive test or death to "Any model touched by the template..."

Xyon
10-07-2010, 17:03
Isnt there a specific line in the spell purple sun about it not effecting the wizard that casts it? There was a line about that in the rumored version of the rules for purple sun.

stiggie
10-07-2010, 20:04
Isnt there a specific line in the spell purple sun about it not effecting the wizard that casts it? There was a line about that in the rumored version of the rules for purple sun.

nope..

it says (after placing it in base contact and nominating a direction for it to travel)

"roll an artillery dice and multiply it by three. any model touched by the template mut pass an initiative test"

so you could argue that it doesnt actually cause initiative tests until it starts moving?? in which case it wouldnt be in base contact with the spellcaster but to some people that will be like arguing a tyranid doom of malan'tai could effect vehicles :P