PDA

View Full Version : Played my first 8th game today!

Wakerofgods
10-07-2010, 07:32
I played WOC vs my friends dark elves. 2000Pts.
We rolled the scenario where you deploy on a diagonal across the table (meeting engagement?). I thought that this would be a very good game for me as we only had 12” between the deployment zones, but during the terrain selection my opponent put a hill in his far corner and ended up deploying right back in that corner and around that hill. This put a 33ish inch between my battle line and his which was a bit of a surprise considering when I saw the scenario I thought we find it hard to get more then 18” from each other at the start.
My opponent was (and always is whatever game were playing) a good sport and did move out towards me a bit though, he said it was to get a better battle line to receive my charges but I think it may have been because he felt sorry for me after we measured out the distance between our battle lines. The first magic phase was devastating with me losing 10 chaos warriors to the 6th metal spell (very nasty spell that ignored my amour and my ward save) and all 5 of my chaos knights to the first metal spell. Unfortunately throughout the whole game my magic failed to do much of anything, I think it took a wound of a hydra and that might be it.
The hell cannon had some strong potential but it scattered a lot and didn't achieve anything significant in the end. I will be taking a hell cannon more often now that I don't have to range guess (which I am terrible at).
After both the bolt throwers shooting once at my warrior unit I ended up with only 5 warriors left (so lost 10 to the spell and 3 to the bolt throwers) and they got killed by the black guard (although the stood up for a few turns judging by how the few left did I saw the potential in my khrone warriors with AHW) and things didn't go great from there. The marauder unit preformed well and I'm expecting this unit to do well in future games (although I'll have to buy it since I proxied it today).

Overall I'm very afraid of the effects of the new magic. I know I've only had one game so far but it seemed very scary even when I had the same amount of magic levels on the board as my opponent. I'm holding off any 'strong' judgment until at least a few more games in but at the moment I'm scared that magic will be too powerful and too random. It seems like having something so potentially and unreliably powerful that is also so central to the game could just ruin the whole edition on it's own. Games of warhammer are after all a big deal and occupy most of a day – having every game happening alongside the (not too slim) chance that magic could just end it is a bit worrying.

My army (roughly):
Exalted hero, BSB
2 level 2 mages (lore of fire), one with puppet and one with dispel scroll
35 marauders with GWS and mark of nurgle
18 chaos warriors with AHW, sheilds and mark of khrone (with MR2 from my BSB and 5+ward from shooting from its magic banner)
5 chaos knights
2 chariots
war shrine
hell cannon

My opponents army (roughly):
Level 4 mage
BSB
Hero on Pegasus with ring of hotek
two units of 20 spearmen
21 black guard
hydra
2 bold throwers
2 chariots
2 units of 10 repeater crossbowmen

Thruster
10-07-2010, 07:38
Just wondering, what did your marauders do in the game that make you think they are worth-it.

Also, how did you get rid of the Hydra?

Thanks

Wakerofgods
10-07-2010, 09:04
Just wondering, what did your marauders do in the game that make you think they are worth-it.

Also, how did you get rid of the Hydra?

Thanks

Oh sorry I left out an important part - I lost terribly. I didn't get rid of the hydra - I was hoping my two fire mages would hit it pretty hard but in the end the did just a single wound to it despite all their effort.

The marauders killed a unit of DE spearmen containing a mage lord - but it was the punishing they took and still dishing out 11 S5 WS5 attacks (nurgle so WS4 but -1 to opponent) that impressed me!

Considering the new spells it seemed like the ability to have more fragile bodies worked better then the chaos warriors amour and ward saves (MR and anti-shooting banner).

One thing - those hydras are very VERY nasty. If you haven't taken any wounds off them they get 2d6 S5 HITS from their breath weapon and D6 S5 HITS from their thunderstomp and then their usual attacks.

Eta
10-07-2010, 09:12
The marauders killed a unit of DE spearmen containing a mage lord - but it was the punishing they took and still dishing out 11 S5 WS5 attacks (nurgle so WS4 but -1 to opponent) that impressed me!

I guess you made a little mistake here, the MoN only reduces the attacker's WS when he tries to hit a model with the mark. When you attack back, their WS is not affected (see the WoC errata on the GW homepage).

Greetings
Eta

LuitpoldFrohlich
10-07-2010, 10:44
21 Black Guard? Did the FAQ lift the limit on BG?

Wakerofgods
10-07-2010, 11:01
I guess you made a little mistake here, the MoN only reduces the attacker's WS when he tries to hit a model with the mark. When you attack back, their WS is not affected (see the WoC errata on the GW homepage).

Greetings
Eta

Oh bugger! I've been playing this wrong for some time and to great advantage to me...opps!

Is this in the erreta or has it been this way forever?

Odin
10-07-2010, 11:10
Oh bugger! I've been playing this wrong for some time and to great advantage to me...opps!

It was in the 7th edition FAQ, and sadly is still in the 8th edition FAQ. Basically it was too good to start with, so they decided to make it rubbish.

Eta
10-07-2010, 13:33

The rule was changed last year within the WoC errata for 7th edition. I do not remember when this was published exactly, should have been Feb / March 2009.

Greetings
Eta

edit: dang, didn't see Odin's reply.