PDA

View Full Version : BFG nonsence

Astrotrain
10-07-2010, 09:58
I remember when I was younger and had a copy of the BFG rulebook there were drawings of ship cannons being towed into place by slave workers.Now my question is could this method be accurate when lining up shots with enemy ships when modern day weapon systems like the patriot and paladin need to use computers to zero in on targets and I assume ships in BFG would be engaging at further distances than artillery in modern war.

Also if ships are birthed in space how do they paint them?

RCgothic
10-07-2010, 10:04
Painting would be simple. Spray guns and EVA suits, with charged surfaces to sweep up loose particles. Shipyards are probably going to be very dirty areas of space anyway, that's something that can be done as part of general starship maintenance by ship's crew during missions.

As for ship's main weapons, it's more about saturation of an area of space with ordnance rather than trying to score direct hits, so aiming isn't that important for the ship's weapons batteries. Lances would indeed need to be more accurately fed with up-to-date targetting information however.

Iracundus
10-07-2010, 10:19
The stories depict only reloading, not actually aiming or traversing the cannon. Actually aiming the cannons may be via mechanical means, particularly given the ranges at which BFG takes place. Andy Chambers' scale is 1cm=1000 km. At such ranges, even small deviations (which would occur by manual aiming), would translate to huge differences where shots land.

wilsonian
10-07-2010, 11:13
Also if ships are birthed in space how do they paint them?

Ever seen the beginning of red dwarf? :D

Karl MkVI
10-07-2010, 11:44
Ever seen the beginning of red dwarf? :D

that is exactly what I thought when I read this!! :)

Andy Chambers' scale is 1cm=1000 km.

I assume this scale doesn't apply to the models of the ships themselves? otherwise I can see a whoooole new "ship size" fluff debate starting up!! :D

Iracundus
10-07-2010, 11:46
I assume this scale doesn't apply to the models of the ships themselves? otherwise I can see a whoooole new "ship size" fluff debate starting up!! :D

No, it doesn't apply to ships. That is spatial/board scale. As per the rulebook, BFG ships occupy the tip of the flying stem only, and their models are not to scale with the board or celestial phenomena.

Xisor
10-07-2010, 14:24
The trick with the nonsense in BFG is that it's a blatant juxtaposition. Intentional, if you will. The sense of it being "ludicrous methods of doing something because manpower is so cheap" mean you can channel the effort and investment into AI-ish-targeting warheads so it doesn't matter whether you're firing it in the right direction or not, once it's left the ship it'll do all that itself.

So basically an archaic cannon firing interstellar homing nuclear weapons; delightfully anarchic.

A better look on the whole thing is, IMO, given in Aaron D-B's Cadian Blood and Richard Williams in Relentless (and his lesser known short story Mortal Fuel in the Planetkill anthology). Have a peek at those stories and the whole thing'll make a helluvalot more sense. :)

Clockwork-Knight
10-07-2010, 15:04
I don't think every warhead fired from the macro-cannons are guided. Having lots of explosive material would however still be okay, and normal weapon batteries are more a "close range" type, in contrast to laser lance strikes and torpedoes, which are surely all guided (and some special ones have better targeting systems).