PDA

View Full Version : 8th edition weird terrain IS optional.

scarletsquig
10-07-2010, 12:49
Okay, plenty of people have been freaking out about being forced to play with the new terrain that results in half of their army being drowned in rivers of rotting flesh, eaten by trees or molested by marsh Fimir.

The good news is, reading the terrain generation rules on page 142 of the BRB indicates that we don't have to use the wacky terrain if we don't want to, and that we can choose how we want each bit of terrain to act.

There are 2 different options that can be taken when generating terrain, and the players can choose which one of the routes to take.

One of the options involves D6 + 4 terrain pieces, generated by rolling on the random terrain chart.. this is the only place that "Mysterious Forest" and "Mysterious River" show up, which is the particular types that are randomly determined when you enter them.

However, the other option is worded as follows, the bolded piece is the important piece:

"Place at least D6 + 4 pieces of terrain upon the battlefield, choosing the pieces from your terrain collection (selecting which of the rules on pages 116-131 you will use to represent each piece).

Also worth noting that you can place more terrain if you wish, the D6 + 4 roll is simply there to provide a minimum number that you must use.

So, 8th edition should be pretty terrain-heavy by default, but the good news is, none of it has to be chaos wastes terrain.

In fact, the "no weird terrain" choice is the suggested default by 8th edition, since the book has the word "Alternatively..." right before it goes on to describe the random weird terrain generation method, and the text for it appears after the rules for making normal terrain.

To me this strongly suggests that the 8th edition designers intended for the default to entirely down to the player's choice, and that the random terrain and man-eating trees are more of an optional fun extra... use it if you want to, don't if you don't.

Hope that saves some stress for people, especially wood elf players. ;)

rtunian
10-07-2010, 12:53
nice find ss

The Avari
10-07-2010, 15:45
whew really dodged a bullet there i was afraid my wood elves would all be forced to eat the mushrooms in the fungus forest and get serious brain damage

qwertycg
10-07-2010, 16:58
You know I played a game yesterday wit ha TON of the new stuff and it honestly makes the game alot more fun. No more 2 hills a tower and some trees for a 6x4 table. I am sick of the boring empty fields.

mightyzombie
10-07-2010, 17:33
You know I played a game yesterday wit ha TON of the new stuff and it honestly makes the game alot more fun. No more 2 hills a tower and some trees for a 6x4 table. I am sick of the boring empty fields.

I agree. Played with the crazy terrain yesterday and we ended up with a Wyrding Well right in the center of the table, with every unit moving over it stopping to drink, hoping for the Stupid/Unbreakable combo. It was hilarious. It was less hilarious when we discovered that the wierd whirlpool-lake-thing from our terrain collection was absurdly sloped on 2 sides and made movement over it a real hassle, but that just showed us some of the faults in our terrain making procedures.

Also as a side note, see if YOU can find the rule (that used to be in 7th) that says terrain has be placed at least 12" from center. Cause we couldn't.

qwertycg
10-07-2010, 18:42
We played a giant mega battle. I just remember watching a unit of lizard men cold one riders charging a unit dark elf executioners. The lizard men got hit the the lore of light spell from a terrain thing that gave them initiative 10 and WS 10. Then came with in 6inches of the alter of khain terrain and got frenzy and pretty much wiped out the dark elfs.

Desert Rain
10-07-2010, 18:47
About one or two pieces of strange terrain might be fun, but if everything on the table is weird in some way I think it has gone a bit over the top. Nice that it isn't written that you have to use them at least.