PDA

View Full Version : Help, I'm not comprehending the plague furnace

Addiction
10-07-2010, 14:16
Long time gamer, gave up fantasy and skaven in 5th. Now back in the game just starting out literally two days ago with a battalion box, 1 additional box of plague monks, 1 box storm vermin, 1 plague furnace and a couple of characters.

As I read it every model in base to base takes a toughness check. So if you push it into combat thats (assuming 4 man front, 6 man side sizing) 16 of your guys taking the check and failing on 6s and 4 of his guys taking the check. What makes this good, or am I missing something?

DigitalDogParty
10-07-2010, 15:37
Fourteen of your Monks will have to take the test on six's which isn't all that bad, but you rely more on doing damage with the Furnace. If you get the template attack added with a charge in that turn, it can be devastating. I used it against Knights and it murdered a unit of sixteen. Just remember that you are unbreakable too. Skaven are supposed to die, so don't worry about Plague Monks. They are just there to move the Furnace. They really won't do much in the long run themselves.

Spinocus
10-07-2010, 17:06
Long time gamer, gave up fantasy and skaven in 5th. Now back in the game just starting out literally two days ago with a battalion box, 1 additional box of plague monks, 1 box storm vermin, 1 plague furnace and a couple of characters.

As I read it every model in base to base takes a toughness check. So if you push it into combat thats (assuming 4 man front, 6 man side sizing) 16 of your guys taking the check and failing on 6s and 4 of his guys taking the check. What makes this good, or am I missing something?

Not quite. Each round that the Plague Furnace is in combat the Enshrouded by Fog rule states that all units in base contact with the Furnace take D6 Toughness tests (with Clan Pestilens models/units failing on 6s). Casualties are distributed as shooting.

Now if you chose to give the Plague Priest the Plague Censer weapon from his equipment options then every round of combat each model in base contact with the furnace (technically the Priest's 'mount') must take a Toughness test (again, Clan Pestilens failing on 6s)... And that's on top of the D6 tests for the Furnace's Enshrouded by Fog attack! So only in that instance you would take 15 T tests for the Plague Monks pushers who are in base contact with the Furnace.

DigitalDogParty
10-07-2010, 18:24
Oh, that's right. I was thinking of something else, but Spinocus is correct. It's not models, but units.

Addiction
11-07-2010, 00:21
Not quite. Each round that the Plague Furnace is in combat the Enshrouded by Fog rule states that all units in base contact with the Furnace take D6 Toughness tests (with Clan Pestilens models/units failing on 6s)..............
OK, that's one hell of a selling point!