PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts magic rules

luntan
10-07-2010, 15:12
Have the new rulebook and have a question about spell generation for my Vampires and Necromancers.
In the rulebook it says that a spell cant be known by more then one mage, with some exeptions.
In the VC book it says Invocation of nehek, Raise dead and Vanhels dance macabre are necromancy spells and can be choosen by all necromancers. The Vampire always know Invocation of nehek.

Those this mean that if a vampire knows Invocation of nehek then no other necromance can have this spell? Or can I choose whatever necromancyspell I want for my necromancers (even the same as other necromancers have)?

And if a necromancer chooses Raise dead can my Vampire roll that spell?

VC rulebook also says that a wizard can cast the same necromancyspell several times. So can one necromancer spam the same of the spells for all of the dices?

Ultimate Life Form
10-07-2010, 15:23
As you do buy the spells for your Necromancer they're exempt from the 'no duplicates' rule. And they can be spammed.

Atrahasis
10-07-2010, 15:25
If a spell is bought or determined non-randomly, then that "copy" of the spell is ignored for the purposes of determining who is allowed it.

Necromancy spells can be cast multiple times, yes.

luntan
10-07-2010, 15:33
Thanks for the answers!

Mr_Rose
10-07-2010, 16:48
Thanks for the answers!
Just remember that, no matter what bonuses you have, an natural total of less than three will always fail to cast any spell and end that particular wizard's magic phase. As will simply failing to cast a spell on a higher number too.

Atrahasis
10-07-2010, 17:09
Not just failing to cast - if you get Irresistible Force but don't reach the casting value, your concentration is broken as well.

You must reach the casting value to continue casting, even if the spell casts successfully.

Mr_Rose
10-07-2010, 17:31
Not just failing to cast - if you get Irresistible Force but don't reach the casting value, your concentration is broken as well.

You must reach the casting value to continue casting, even if the spell casts successfully.
True dat. I missed that little subtlety.
Hm, that's going to make Teclis and the Book of hoeth more interesting...

Maoriboy007
10-07-2010, 20:56

Isn't a loss of concentration only if you roll less than 3 on your dice roll? So if you fail to reach a casting value but still roll 3+ you can continue casting.

Lord Zarkov
10-07-2010, 21:00
Isn't a loss of concentration only if you roll less than 3 on your dice roll? So if you fail to reach a casting value but still roll 3+ you can continue casting.
No, it's anytime you fail to cast. The 3+ thing is that spells autofail if you roll 1-2

Maoriboy007
11-07-2010, 01:32
No, it's anytime you fail to cast. The 3+ thing is that spells autofail if you roll 1-2

I suppose this explains some of the redunckulousness of some of the spell lores. The onus of success falls pretty heavily on the caster.

Glabro
11-07-2010, 08:15
Well, I suppose that in this system, the tactic of casting IoN with two dice is not so bad. On average, you opponent will have a harder time dispelling those, even if there was no "your phase ends if you fail" rule.